Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JO-TECH

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JO-TECH

I just bought my friends 1990 Integra RS w/B16A for $500 bucks. What a deal I think to myself only to find out the list of **** wrong with the car since he got it back from this so called shop.

Previously the car already had a B16A that was put in @ Pro-Tech here in Austin but my buddy ruined that car by blowing the engine. He said the car ran like a gem before his incident, the car would sing to 8K without a hitch, the wiring all intact and what not. THEY DID A SUPERB JOB.

Well he had that motor replaced in early 07 buy Jotech and boy was he in for a surprise. They hacked up his wiring, the car won't go past 6K rpms, car had(has) a check engine light on that he didn't notice because the light bulb was removed (KNOCK SENSOR CODE STILL ON), did I mention the clutch was going out...I found out most of this since I started doing work on car...

I see why he left the car parked for so long when he lived @ my apartment complex.

I since have replaced the clutch, distributor, plugs, plug wires and you know what the car still runs like ****. I mean, its good down low but after VTEC once @ 6K, the car bounces like it hit the rev limit...Anyone can help me out here, would be nice...

I'm just giving you aheads up as to why you should do your own work, at least if you jack it up, it was free. It cost my buddy $3800...He's only getting $500 back and now I'm bout to rack up an expense for a car that should have been done right in the first place.

If anyone can give me any advice as what to do, please help. I'm bout to pick a fuel filter, knock sensor, and possibly make a new wiring harness. I mean the fan switch is jacked up and I had to rig up a manual switch since it won't kick on its own...

Old 02-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JO-TECH (GiT LaO'd)

if i were you i would pull the wiring harness and get a new one. You can only hack up a wiring harness so much after thats its garbage IMO. The knock sensor code would be the main thing to make it run like crap though and cause it to only rev. to 6k. I would start by fixing that may not even be hooked up if i had to guess. You got a good deal though and it sounds like the car at most needs $500 or so to get it running right.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 PM

Yeah...I'm bout to go pick up some more misc stuff and the Knock sensor is gonna be priority...The funny thing is when I did my GSR swap in my 92 HB, I was throwing a CODE 23 as well but the car still ran all the way to 8K...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GiT LaO'd)

huh... well from what i experinced knock sensor causes your car to run like crap. Other then the hacked up wiring that sounds like your only real prob. I was thinking though if you want a performance adder you could always order a chipped ECU from phearable.net its 175 for a chipped ECU or $75 if you send yours in and have them chip your ECU. The reason I say this is there ECU's git rid of knock sensor all together so you would no longer have to worry about it and you prolly gain a 10 hp or so.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 AM

Jotech ,which is own by Kenny Tran is a very reputable shop. I'm sure if you give them a call, they will resolve this issue. good luck on getting the issue fix.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (silver spur)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silver spur &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jotech ,which is own by Kenny Tran is a very reputable shop. I'm sure if you give them a call, they will resolve this issue. good luck on getting the issue fix.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-14-2008, 02:02 PM

Well its been about a year now and my buddy never took it back, so that is his deal...I'm just cleaning up the mess this "reputable" shop has given this car...I got it at a steal for $500 bucks but you know what, my buddy wouldn't have sold it so cheap if the "reputable" shop did it right in the first place. All i'm asking is for any insight as to what I can do myself...I wouldn't call Jotech up for anything honestly...
Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GiT LaO'd)

have an ecu for sale
Old 02-19-2008, 12:16 PM

This this post about Jotech or about the car being jacked up already. I really think you need to get both sides of the story before you go off on a shop that actually does great work and care about their customers.

What was the condition of the car when it went into Jotech? What did your buddy allow/approve for them to do and not do? Knowing how Kenny is with his projects and race car...he does things right the first time around.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Re: (havokgroup.com)

If you would have read my first post. I listed everything wrong with the car after coming back from Jo-TECH...

So you can defend that shop all you want, I won't ever take my business there for the example I have before hand...

A shitty engine swap from a shop that was out for a quick buck...

****, if you're gonna swap an engine out in two days at least have it done right...

THE CAR WAS HACKED BY JO-TECH...

So as I stated, if anyone has had any symptoms like the ones I have described, please help me out...

I am going to be dumping some more money for wiring, maybe new ECU, knock sensor...

This should have all been done correctly in the first place, correct me if i'm wrong but you can't cause I am not...

Any customer paying a shop to do work for them should get a car that runs fine without trying to mask the problems they couldn't fix...IE Check Engine Bulb removed and shitty as wiring...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Re: (silver spur)

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Well with the help of Katman's ECU pictures on H-T and the search function, I was able to fix the car today on my own and saved $600 bucks worth of wiring and a new knock sensor...

Turns out the reputable shop that did this swap (JO-TECH) didn't wire in the knock sensor to the appropriate pin @ the ECU connection.

After ten minutes I had it swapped in and VOILA...No more ECU CODE NO more Pinging @ 6K...She sings to 8K as she is suppose to...

Time for the A/C to be put back in and a paint job and she is good as gold...