Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM vs. USDM wiring,

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM vs. USDM wiring,

So what is the diff. btwn. the two as far as the wiring is concerned, i know the jdm is rhd so that prolly affects the lengths to the gauge cluster no?? i can't use my cluster anyways(5k redline), what else are the differences, this is the one part that i am concerned about with doing my swap, would getting the swap harness help out, is it worth the $90 or so bucks,

its for a b18c into a crx hf (mpfi),

thanks much
Old 10-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: JDM vs. USDM wiring, (wadafa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadafa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what is the diff. btwn. the two as far as the wiring is concerned, i know the jdm is rhd so that prolly affects the lengths to the gauge cluster no?? i can't use my cluster anyways(5k redline), what else are the differences, this is the one part that i am concerned about with doing my swap</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since you are planning on installing a B18C into an EF chassis the B16C harness is useless, well salvageable for extra plugs and wiring. The plug styles are different since they were designed for the OBD1/OBD2 DC and EG chassis. You will need to adapt your stock HF harness onto the B18C motor which won't be too difficult since the car is MPFI.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would getting the swap harness help out, is it worth the $90 or so bucks,

its for a b18c into a crx hf (mpfi)</TD></TR></TABLE>

The subharness I assume you are referring to is really only the VTEC wiring, sometimes the knock sensor, etc. that is an add-on to the stock harness engine. I would do it myself and save the $ since it's not hard to replicate the way they do it.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:50 AM

Default Re: JDM vs. USDM wiring, (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the B16C harness is useless</TD></TR></TABLE>

B16C?
Old 10-09-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JDM vs. USDM wiring, (crXBoy69)

He's trippin, he meant B18C
Old 10-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadafa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what is the diff. btwn. the two as far as the wiring is concerned, i know the jdm is rhd so that prolly affects the lengths to the gauge cluster no?? i can't use my cluster anyways(5k redline), what else are the differences, this is the one part that i am concerned about with doing my swap, would getting the swap harness help out, is it worth the $90 or so bucks,

its for a b18c into a crx hf (mpfi),

thanks much</TD></TR></TABLE>

The main problem that arises from using a JDM engine harness in a US vehicle (or vice versa) is the location of the ecu and the main plugs for the engine harness.

Since JDM (rhd) vehicles have the ecu located on the opposite side of the car, the main engine harness plugs will also be on the opposite side of the car, in this case would be located on the their passenger side shocktower (driver side to us). Its reverse with the US; ecu is found on the passengerside footwell area and the main engine harness plugs are located on the passenger side shock tower.

Being that the main engine harness plugs, for LHD & RHD vehicles, are located on opposite sides of the engine bay, makes the engine wire harness virtually impossible to use (even the underdash harness).

Trust me/us, you don't wanna try and make a JDM engine harness work in a US vehicle...its not worth the 100-fold pain you'll recieve to your brain.

Old 10-09-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Re: JDM vs. USDM wiring, (Katman)

so...lets say i get a USDM swap, would i then be able to utilize the engine harness, or would it still be a better idea to splice into my existing one??

thanks guys
Old 10-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadafa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so...lets say i get a USDM swap, would i then be able to utilize the engine harness, or would it still be a better idea to splice into my existing one??

thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you get a US engine swap, then yes, you can reuse the engine harness that comes with it, depending on the year of the engine & the year your car, or you can reuse your existing engine harness...its up to you......just dont use a JDM engine harness...stay way....bad harness...