Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jdm itr engine in a crx... Need your help on peripherals guys!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default jdm itr engine in a crx... Need your help on peripherals guys!

Ok, so my buddy has an '88 crx si and we've got a b18c from a jdm itr to drop into it. We're trying to do as much of the work ourselves as we can...

He's going to order an HCP mount kit for the motor, and we'll shim the hood to clear the taller engine.

What about wiring? I know the wiring is easier to do for an si than for a hf, because we only need to run the vtec wiring, but where can I get instructions and layout to do this?

Also, we need to use 2nd gen integra axles I think - but what tranny should we go with? y1 or y2? He wants something with lsd... Although price is an option. Maybe he should just convert to hydro and run the jdm itr tranny? Or maybe a cable tranny that'll bolt up and put aftermarket lsd in that?

What ecu to run it? '94-'95 usdm gsr ecu? (chipped, of course)

I'm sure someone here has done this conversion before... Care to speak up?

[Modified by Black R, 3:22 PM 10/15/2001]
Old 10-14-2001, 12:56 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: jdm itr engine in a crx... Need your help on peripherals guys! (Black R)

http://www.hasport.com/information.htm

go down to..."88-91 Civic/CRX with B-series engine"

it will have ALL of your wiring differences and stuff!
Old 10-14-2001, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: jdm itr engine in a crx... Need your help on peripherals guys! (Black R)

as far as wiring the easiest would be to run non-obd system ...meaning that the distributor, injectors as well as sinlge wire 02 sensor, will be needed off a JDM 1st gen b16a (89-91)....

as far as tranny...best would be a a JDM YS1 lsd equipped, second best would be a S1 or J1 and then Y1 which sometimes also comes equipped with LSD and is found on JDM b16a motors (as are the others, watch out becuase usdm have the same tranny codes but crappy ratios)

as far as the ecu to keep things simple a PR3 or PW0 ecu chipped with a good program is a better thing then itr ecu and defiantly gsr....

Old 10-15-2001, 07:39 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: jdm itr engine in a crx... Need your help on peripherals guys! (eg6ajk)

I will agree on the tranny issues with eg6ajk. You will need to find a B series cable tranny to use as the hydro won't work and can't as I see it. (strut tower to close to firewall).

I would prefer to see you use the HASport kit or the Place Racing kit over the HCP. I realize their's are cheaper, but they have had quality issues in the past that would keep me away from them.

You would need to contact HCP as to which outer driveshafts you need, but you would also most likely need the intermediate shaft from a '90-'93 Teg to work with them instead of the intermediate shaft that would come with that engine.

As far as wiring, You probably meant the "dx", not the "hx". And yes, the DX does require more wiring. The HF and Si have the same wiring methods as they are both multi-point injection and the DX is dual-point.

I hope that helps clear some ideas up.

If you get the ITR ECU with the engine, you may just want to get an adapter harness if you can. A person named Kenji on the http://www.clubSi.com site makes them along with possibly being able to get one from King Motorsports, Atomic Performance, or Hondata. That would be the cheapest alternative compared to getting a standalone or some reprogramming done. You can use a PWO or PR3 ecu but of course they will be designed for a smaller engine. A cheap and possible fix would be possibly to get a fuel pressure riser and guage and bump up the stock fuel pressure to help out, but I can't guarantee that will take care of all the problems.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: jdm itr engine in a crx... Need your help on peripherals guys! (badCRX)

Thanks guys!

I know kenji, I've done business with him in the past...

As far as the wiring goes, yeah I meant hf... Dunno why someone told me it was easier to do si wiring...

But you guys recomment hasport over hcp?

I knew place racing was decent, but had some fitment problems. I guess hasport is the way to go then. He was looking for a 4 mount kit, but I guess they have one of those out now too...

ys1, huh?

Ok, we'll start looking...

Anything else?

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2001, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Hasport kit. Brian is a hybrid guy like the rest of us and has done the homework for us. Here is a link to the axle info: http://www.hasport.com/B16axles.htm

Here is the info on the Bswap from a OBDI or II donor: http://www.hasport.com/88-91_OBD_B-series_Swap_Tech.htm

Stay with the 88-91 Crx ecu and get it reprogrammed. Swap the related sensors and dist, injectors and resistor pack for simplicity. No need to make the car ODBI or II. I did the B16a1 swap in my 91 Si and it was easy, even though no bolt-in kits existed back then. Give me a yell if you need some help or an extra set of hands.

Good luck,