Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM b16a block need to be honed ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM b16a block need to be honed ?

Got this from a friend for a good deal, sat in a car port for about 2 years so it has gained some unwanted friends. Their is no lips or ridges on any cylinder walls, trying to use this for a daily driver motor. Thank you

My JDM b16a block

tried cleaning it up a little

some scratch on this cylinder walls but no lips/ridges

little bit of rust on this wall

top shot

samething here
Old 05-22-2015, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM b16a block need to be honed ?

Would this be ok for use ?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, you're asking the wrong question. Those walls might be fine, but how are the rings? How are the bearings? How are the valve stem seals? Is the block flat within spec? Is the head? Did your main seals get hard and flattened from sitting? Chances are if you put that in it'll leak and/or burn oil. How much? No idea. Maybe not much. Maybe a lot!

If it were me, I'd just tear it down and inspect it. Then you'll know exactly what you've got. You don't have to spend very much money to get rings, bearings, seals and gaskets. Of course, maybe you don't want to do that.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mithious
Actually, you're asking the wrong question. Those walls might be fine, but how are the rings? How are the bearings? How are the valve stem seals? Is the block flat within spec? Is the head? Did your main seals get hard and flattened from sitting? Chances are if you put that in it'll leak and/or burn oil. How much? No idea. Maybe not much. Maybe a lot!

If it were me, I'd just tear it down and inspect it. Then you'll know exactly what you've got. You don't have to spend very much money to get rings, bearings, seals and gaskets. Of course, maybe you don't want to do that.

Just my 2 cents.
Haven't dug deep into the block, and head yet. Unsure of bearings/rings, and what not. I have a GSR head available that I wanted to throw on top have not inspected valve stems, their is no rust. Not sure if the block/head is in spec either, have not taken to the machine shop. Neither have I looked for the main seal. These are questions that I am looking for, I appreciate your input. Want to make this engine my daily in my hatch. I probably should just rebuild it if its not too much, problem is dont know how to. Maybe I should just get a book, some beer, my tools, motor stand, and have a grand ol' time. I will be doing this myself since all the honda guys I know around here are more caught up in themselves than helping others out lol
Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGhachiback
Haven't dug deep into the block, and head yet. Unsure of bearings/rings, and what not. I have a GSR head available that I wanted to throw on top have not inspected valve stems, their is no rust. Not sure if the block/head is in spec either, have not taken to the machine shop. Neither have I looked for the main seal. These are questions that I am looking for, I appreciate your input. Want to make this engine my daily in my hatch. I probably should just rebuild it if its not too much, problem is dont know how to. Maybe I should just get a book, some beer, my tools, motor stand, and have a grand ol' time. I will be doing this myself since all the honda guys I know around here are more caught up in themselves than helping others out lol
Well, that's exactly what I did. Last winter. Bought some tools and an engine stand, (used off craigslist) read all the how to threads I could find here that were similar, and went at it. You'll learn a lot, and a lot of it is easier than you think. And when you get stuck, lot of folks around this site will help you out.

When you add up the costs of having someone else do this stuff for you, it's also rather cost effective to do it yourself, and when you do get it running, you'll have a much deeper understanding of it, and be able to fix almost anything yourself.

That's why I did it anyway. It'll take a lot of your time though!