Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J swaps!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J swaps!!!!

Just wondering if anyone here is getting into the j scene?

I'm gonna get a j35a3 and an accord 6spd tranny. Not sure what chassi to put It into yet but the easiest would be an eg,ek, or dc but I love the Ef chassis so I'm still up in the air about it.

There's a realy awesome forum www.j32a.com
check it out, might give u folks something to consider.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: J swaps!!!!

I had a j32a2 from a 03 tl-s but I'm moving back to California so I had to sell a whole bunch of stuff I had for it... So now Ima have to wait to get back to the new home in Cali n start over.
But I'd love to see if anyone else is doing this.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still building my J Integra. I work a lot so it has taken me a long time. The swap into a DC or EG is the easiest by far. The EK is a little more challenging and requires a DC or EG sub frame so the rear of the engine and transmission will clear it. I have mine at the running and driving stage now, it's phenomenal. Incredibly fast and a boat load of torque. In the long term I want to swap it into another chassis but haven't decided.

Oh... some people are using the HASport Gen 2 mounts, which position it lower to the ground, so you don't have to cut a hole in your hood. DO NOT use these mounts unless you have a factory height car. You will destroy the oil pan on bumps, parking entrances, speed bumps. Not worth it. Buy the Gen 1 mounts and just cut the hole, it's bad ***.
The following 2 users liked this post by paton5g:
Old 09-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Icon6 Re: J swaps!!!!

i am starting to gather parts for my j swap in my 98.... im starting with my tranny... i am picking one up from an accord (beautiful 6 speed) and yeah they are impossible to find! but the five speeds will work just fine! not everyone has to have a six speed.. im just sayin... hasport has the mounts and axles and i will use tein complete suspension and beaks bars etc etc.... i was wondering if anyone has had any problems doing a 5 lug swap with a j32a2 engine... or what kind of suspension set up i will need to go with if i do change the front end to a 5 lug... yes im a noob and i get that but any credible and helpful advice would be great
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

has anyone seen a hood that will cover a j32? im gonna get the high set mounts and not too fond of the motor being exposed all the time. and exhaust... is there any particular exhaust that wont sound like a rice can? im trying to keep it as quiet as i can for more of a sleeper style (along with a hood)...
Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just swapped over a j30a1 engine into my 97 EK civic and it clears the hood but with custom mounts I mocked up in the process but I have to cut a notch in the hoods crumple support structure so it will lock in the last latch position but from up close it looks like a regular civic. The one thing I will have to do is a pair of coil overs to get back my factory ride height which was 7 inches from the ground which is currently 5 inches due to weight. It's not the j32a1 but that wasn't the card i was dault so I can't complain I get more hp and torque then the last d16y7 could ever put out. The one thing I would try is the j30a1's intake if it is possible to bolt on top of the j32a1 to make the clearance a lil lower. If your using hasport stuff good luck because they set your future in stone so you have no other options if they are your only source of mounts. The one thing that did work for me was tilting the engine forward a lil bit which took off some height and made things more realistic and made sure the axles shafts lined up but I have to have custom axles because the hasport setup is manual transmission which is a different axle length.
My setup is all custom fabrication because I choose the path of automatic transmission which is not the best route because manual transmission is exciting option but not affordable being a working student.
Honda automatic transmissions are so easy and cheap to rebuild it's insane that people won't attempt a repair. The only thing wrong with them from the factory is that honda took a short cuts and put cheap discs in and a bad bearing which is so easy to fix a little kid could pull out of the differental with no tools.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paton5g
I am still building my J Integra. I work a lot so it has taken me a long time. The swap into a DC or EG is the easiest by far. The EK is a little more challenging and requires a DC or EG sub frame so the rear of the engine and transmission will clear it. I have mine at the running and driving stage now, it's phenomenal. Incredibly fast and a boat load of torque. In the long term I want to swap it into another chassis but haven't decided.

Oh... some people are using the HASport Gen 2 mounts, which position it lower to the ground, so you don't have to cut a hole in your hood. DO NOT use these mounts unless you have a factory height car. You will destroy the oil pan on bumps, parking entrances, speed bumps. Not worth it. Buy the Gen 1 mounts and just cut the hole, it's bad ***.
+1..... except 1 thing.

If you use the 1st Hasport kit you can still use your Ek sub frame

If you use the 2nd Hasport kit then you have to swap over to a Eg or Dc sub frame.

Originally Posted by ekswapdude
i am starting to gather parts for my j swap in my 98.... im starting with my tranny... i am picking one up from an accord (beautiful 6 speed) and yeah they are impossible to find! but the five speeds will work just fine! not everyone has to have a six speed.. im just sayin... hasport has the mounts and axles and i will use tein complete suspension and beaks bars etc etc.... i was wondering if anyone has had any problems doing a 5 lug swap with a j32a2 engine... or what kind of suspension set up i will need to go with if i do change the front end to a 5 lug... yes im a noob and i get that but any credible and helpful advice would be great
A J-series that came with a 5 speed?

I thought all J-series came with 6 speed's, even the Accords?

And if you check my pic's i posted, I have 2000 USDM ITR 5 Lug.

has anyone seen a hood that will cover a j32? im gonna get the high set mounts and not too fond of the motor being exposed all the time. and exhaust... is there any particular exhaust that wont sound like a rice can? im trying to keep it as quiet as i can for more of a sleeper style (along with a hood)...
There are some people working on this.

This is still a very new trend and things are going to take time, but i have seen pic's of people making new Intake manifold's just so the hood will close to give that sleeper look.

Don at RPM Systems helped me out with a hood, and the whole motor swap.

The hood is poped open a little, but you get the idea.
The motor is a J35a1....Honda odyssey, not the intake manifold
Name:  100_3433.jpg
Views: 15546
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  SDC13454.jpg
Views: 22808
Size:  180.8 KB

My new motor.....J32a3...TL sport, so close, but the newer intake is about 1 inch taller.
Name:  100_3898-1.jpg
Views: 13029
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  100_3905-1.jpg
Views: 26843
Size:  181.0 KB
Old 09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personally... i hate that ram air wanna be hood but to each their own.... and the 98-02 accords (v6) came with 5 speeds... i apologize in advance if im way off track here... i probably got it confused the the c-series 6 cylinders... i would like a lil advice please... since you have the itr... im not entirely familiar with it and would love for someone to flash some light on this for me.... with a 5 lug conversion on my 98 ek... are there any particular suspension kits out there to function with the weight of a j32?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personally... im doing a 2000 front conversion as soon as i get off my lazy a$$ and pick up a grill (all primed and ready to go) for which im excited... del sol seats already in, 96 gsr sunflowers, mugen wing (kinda ricey but i really like it) now what i also need to know is if there an exhaust that will go with this swap that will keep it relative quiet... i dont want everyone to hear me from miles away... anyone hear of anything like that?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i take that back! i want the r8 style headlights and the led style si tails at least as of now... like most i change my mind quite often... the headlights and l.e.d. si tails may be a bit ricey and i can admit that but it my ugly opinion as ive been told.... who know i might just leave the si headlights i got... yeah theyre true si headlights.. they have the bluish looking tint to them.... anyone know where i can get some new carpet for my ek online? a good price at least for new carpet?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personally... i hate that ram air wanna be hood but to each their own.... and the 98-02 accords (v6) came with 5 speeds... i apologize in advance if im way off track here... i probably got it confused the the c-series 6 cylinders... i would like a lil advice please... since you have the itr... im not entirely familiar with it and would love for someone to flash some light on this for me.... with a 5 lug conversion on my 98 ek... are there any particular suspension kits out there to function with the weight of a j32?
For suspension wise, i have a full Skunk2 set up, and i am running with the Pro-C coilovers.

All i can say is this thing wont move.

personally... im doing a 2000 front conversion as soon as i get off my lazy a$$ and pick up a grill (all primed and ready to go) for which im excited... del sol seats already in, 96 gsr sunflowers, mugen wing (kinda ricey but i really like it) now what i also need to know is if there an exhaust that will go with this swap that will keep it relative quiet... i dont want everyone to hear me from miles away... anyone hear of anything like that?
Only thing i can say for my setup is that i have a Apexi from a 96-00 Ex cat back, lined up with the stock header off of the J-Series.

Now this exhaust is really loud.....anyone who has one knows.

But because my car has both stock cats, its as quiet as my 08 Lx civic, no joke.

ok i take that back! i want the r8 style headlights and the led style si tails at least as of now... like most i change my mind quite often... the headlights and l.e.d. si tails may be a bit ricey and i can admit that but it my ugly opinion as ive been told.... who know i might just leave the si headlights i got... yeah theyre true si headlights.. they have the bluish looking tint to them.... anyone know where i can get some new carpet for my ek online? a good price at least for new carpet?
Come on, you crack on me about my hood, but you want to put R8 style headlighs and LED tails on.....

For carpet wise, you can go OEM or you can check these guys out.
http://www.auto-interior.com/honda2....odEiOcLA#Civic
Old 09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice I like the setup with the nice painted interior engine compartment because its clean looking. I still have to paint my car but I have to wait because I am on a budget of fumes for now. So with the v6 in the civic is their alot of vibration during take off or is it smooth with the hasports mounts? I did diy mounts so I am thinking I will have some issues with vibrations later. I still have a ton of wiring to do on my swap over to the civics fuse box which is still a big mistory for me because i have not opened it up for inspection on the wire yet. I spent 4 days just carefully splitting out the wires from the plugs just incase I ran into some issues I could just place the wire with it's peg back into the plug. I had to manually take the interior harness apart and take everyting off that was not needed to keep the engine running. But in the end I will have two wire harnesses running in the civic. I kept the body harness for the civic and added the stock accord harness to it. Anyhow nice pictures keep up the good work and best of luck with your swap.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

splat v6, i mean no disrespect and i did say that i personally didnt like it but whatever floats your boat.... the last thing i intend to do is act like some 15 year old hater who doesnt have a license and nothing better to do than **** people off... and when i went looking for headlights i didnt have my front end conversion at the time... so now i have deleted those off my program... besides the si headlights look a ton better anyway... they dont make led headlights that i like for a 2000 civic except the black housing factory remakes.... but i do thank you so much for the information about what i asked.... i really mean no disrespect so dont take any... im on a pretty tight budget and i never imagined that a j swap would ever be in my cards... but thanks to companies who support us and our money its made everything much easier... before i talked to a few honda fanatics and certified mechs... i was gonna do a k series and leave it be... but i can get my hands on j32 parts alot cheaper then k24/k20 parts and blew my lil mind.... thanks again man and everyone else for their knowledgeable input and advice
Old 09-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Civicaccordswap
Nice I like the setup with the nice painted interior engine compartment because its clean looking. I still have to paint my car but I have to wait because I am on a budget of fumes for now. So with the v6 in the civic is their alot of vibration during take off or is it smooth with the hasports mounts? I did diy mounts so I am thinking I will have some issues with vibrations later. I still have a ton of wiring to do on my swap over to the civics fuse box which is still a big mistory for me because i have not opened it up for inspection on the wire yet. I spent 4 days just carefully splitting out the wires from the plugs just incase I ran into some issues I could just place the wire with it's peg back into the plug. I had to manually take the interior harness apart and take everyting off that was not needed to keep the engine running. But in the end I will have two wire harnesses running in the civic. I kept the body harness for the civic and added the stock accord harness to it. Anyhow nice pictures keep up the good work and best of luck with your swap.
Thanks.

Check out J32.a.com
Look for Don RPM Systems, he can put together a plug and play kit together for you.

About the vibrations, with my J35 i had a lot of wheel hop.
But when we put the J32 in we also added traction bars, the car really pulls harder then eve, that is 1 thing i say is a must to get.

splat v6, i mean no disrespect and i did say that i personally didnt like it but whatever floats your boat.... the last thing i intend to do is act like some 15 year old hater who doesnt have a license and nothing better to do than **** people off... and when i went looking for headlights i didnt have my front end conversion at the time... so now i have deleted those off my program... besides the si headlights look a ton better anyway... they dont make led headlights that i like for a 2000 civic except the black housing factory remakes.... but i do thank you so much for the information about what i asked.... i really mean no disrespect so dont take any... im on a pretty tight budget and i never imagined that a j swap would ever be in my cards... but thanks to companies who support us and our money its made everything much easier... before i talked to a few honda fanatics and certified mechs... i was gonna do a k series and leave it be... but i can get my hands on j32 parts alot cheaper then k24/k20 parts and blew my lil mind.... thanks again man and everyone else for their knowledgeable input and advice
I know guy, i to was busting your chops.

Water under the bridge.

Last edited by splatV6; 09-13-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool splat, well my j swap has been put on hold for a while if not forever... my poor lil d-series will have to do for now... thanks for all the help and hopefully one day things might change!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Thanks, but i cant take the credit for my car build, Don from RPM Systems did everything.

The J35 swap had a B-series + the EgJ1 mount kit, see this was done before Hasport even made a kit for the Ek body.

The J23 swap has the EkJ1 mount kit.

I know the cars not on the ground, but as you can see, i have a red traction bars and a red Tanabe brace, this brace was meant for B-series motors.
And as you can see, even this fits, so i have a nice amount of ground clearance.
Name:  100_3779.jpg
Views: 14537
Size:  144.5 KB
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok... j swap is back on track and am looking forward once again to picking up my beautiful new 06 accord six speed!!! ok now im thinking very far in advance and would very much appreciate some help/advice.... what is the easiest way to go about doing a five lug conversion front and rear (converting the rear drums to discs in the process)... i keep reading about this poor man's conversion but no link... that would be great! what parts would be necessary to do the swap...with the extra weight and temptation of my j32 i will need/want to beef up the suspension... but i want to do the 5 lug conversion ... with that said i want to do this right the first time and i will wait or adjust my budget as much as possible to accommodate this... i am going to do a full coilover conversion to correctly support my swap but should i just wait until after i convert to 5 lug discs front and rear? or is there a kit that will fit my four lug (with drums) now and also fit the five lug will all around discs later? and how hard are the itr wheels to come across?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also... with a six speed to accompany my motor... the only thing he said the tranny doesnt have are the shifter cables... now ive heard several cars' cables can be use to get the job done from many different places as i search the internet.... prelude 92-up, accord 90-up, civic si 02-up, and rsx 02-up... i know the dealership will have them but that doesnt seem like a cost efficient method or i could go to hybridracing.ca... with that being said will i need to get a different shifter for any reason... if this doesnt matter then could i use a short shifter from and integra for the cables? a friend of mine put a teggy shorty in his civic and i like the way it puts the shifter **** farther back to the driver for a more comfortable riding position while shifting... and someone with experience clarify this mess for the new guy please... thanks again for all of your help/support/advice... really encourages new guys to be serious with major conversions like this...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have read great things about the koni/gc combo but completely unaware of the spring rate needed... plus im unsure of what setup to get in the first place as i stated earlier... thanks again in advance for the input
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on what body your going to swap u can use the type R suspention or u can use Gsr four lug if u want disc brakes all around an to do that it's you need the brake booster master cylnder and porportioning valve along with e-brake cabels and rear a-arms with disc I'm doing a J35a4 swap into a 92'dx hatch an trust me it isn't cheap you might get a deal on the engine but the tranny is stiff anyway you look at it I wanded 6spd with LSD so I opted for a Acura tranny either the 03 cl type s or the 04-08 tl type s 6 speed I looked for 5 months and couldn't find one. I finally foun on in Canada I live on the ny side so it was close an I ended up getting a CDM 07 tl type s 6spd with 18000k it costed $1800 dollars. My j35a4 is out of a 04 pilot and ended up costing $900 with 52000miles. The wieght difference for the v6 an b-series is only 100lbs and eibach makes stiffer springs if u ask but any stiffer spring should work. A quick parts list rundown consists of motor,tranny,ecu,wire harness,shifter,shifter cables,headers,axles an a few other smaller parts needed. IF YOU HAVE A V6 SWAP FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY PARTS I DIDNT.... I kno I didn't list every thing just major stuff. Also I hear great things about the hybrid racing shifter box I have one haven't finished swap yet so I haven't used it but it looks promising... Aem also has a new ecu out for v6 swap I plan on using one if u have used let me know how it is....
Old 10-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jdmpopper
Depending on what body your going to swap u can use the type R suspention or u can use Gsr four lug if u want disc brakes all around an to do that it's you need the brake booster master cylnder and porportioning valve along with e-brake cabels and rear a-arms with disc I'm doing a J35a4 swap into a 92'dx hatch an trust me it isn't cheap you might get a deal on the engine but the tranny is stiff anyway you look at it I wanded 6spd with LSD so I opted for a Acura tranny either the 03 cl type s or the 04-08 tl type s 6 speed I looked for 5 months and couldn't find one. I finally foun on in Canada I live on the ny side so it was close an I ended up getting a CDM 07 tl type s 6spd with 18000k it costed $1800 dollars. My j35a4 is out of a 04 pilot and ended up costing $900 with 52000miles. The wieght difference for the v6 an b-series is only 100lbs and eibach makes stiffer springs if u ask but any stiffer spring should work. A quick parts list rundown consists of motor,tranny,ecu,wire harness,shifter,shifter cables,headers,axles an a few other smaller parts needed. IF YOU HAVE A V6 SWAP FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY PARTS I DIDNT.... I kno I didn't list every thing just major stuff. Also I hear great things about the hybrid racing shifter box I have one haven't finished swap yet so I haven't used it but it looks promising... Aem also has a new ecu out for v6 swap I plan on using one if u have used let me know how it is....

Yea, the most amount of money you are going to put down is for the trans.

If you want to do this swap the right way, look for 03 CL-S 6 speed (LSD all the 6 speed's CL-S came with this.)

04-06 TL Sport, 6 speed , again all the 6 speeds came with LSD's

There is also a 07 TL-S 6 speed that came with the monster 3.5L....not sure if that would bolt up to the earlier motors though.

The 1 motor to look for is the J35a4, best bang for the buck, and people are getting some real nice numbers with them.

I have heard alot about the AEM unit, i never used 1, but from what i was told was they are a waste of money.

My friend put my 2 diff J-Series motors in and made all plug and play units.
Pm me if you want more info on that.

About the Hybird shifter......it is truly a must, dont really need it, but it brings the car to a new level.

On the springs side, everyone i know running with J-motors are useing diff suspension all aftermarket, but my brother is still running with the stock suspension and its just starting to take its toll.

5 lug conversion....not needed, its nice to have, but a nice GSR set up will be fine.
Hell, my brother is still driving around on his Cx brakes.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by paton5g

MY QUESTION TO U IS WAT DO I ALL NEED TO COMPLETE MY J30 SWAP IN MY INTEGRA ??? I HAVE A COMPLETE SWAP J30A1 AUTO TRANS WIT AXLES .... WAT ECU DO I USE ? AND WAT ALL DO I NEED OFF THE ACCORS TO MAKE THOS WORK I HAVE COMPLETE ACCORD BUT ITS WRECKED PLZ HELP ME!!!! THANKS
Old 06-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna put a j35 a8 in my 96 accord I'm unsure of what transmission to put in there with it a lot of people ain't on this j series wave but I see a lot of potential in them especially the one I want hit me back with feedback if possible let me know whatever I need to do to successful finish this build I just starting I'm always willing to listen to experienced people
Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlexGod
I wanna put a j35 a8 in my 96 accord I'm unsure of what transmission to put in there with it a lot of people ain't on this j series wave but I see a lot of potential in them especially the one I want hit me back with feedback if possible let me know whatever I need to do to successful finish this build I just starting I'm always willing to listen to experienced people
04+ TL
03-07 accord
Old 01-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesnt seem too active in here, but I just got my swap up and running -

Name:  FixedthetuneontheJ_zps7853eb51.jpg
Views: 10916
Size:  119.0 KB

Right now its just a stock J32A1 with the ebay headers and 2.5" exhaust. Used an AEM rather than a stock computer. Future plans for the motor are building a spare J32A2 I have, custom intake manifold, Big single turbo, and some DD-Tech cams.

Quick Reply: J swaps!!!!