Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J series V6 swap into 7th gen Civic EM2

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J series V6 swap into 7th gen Civic EM2

I have a 7th gen Civic coupe shell sitting around that has some sentimental value to me
So I started toying with the idea of putting a J-series into it

I'm just trying to get an idea of what issues I may run into
Obviously I need a complete J-series engine with all sensors.. flywheel/clutch and a J-series manual transmission

Once I have the engine and transmission bolted together, I can drop it into the engine bay
Then adjust the height so that the hood closes and clears the motor by 1/4" or so (this way it won't be sitting too low)
Then eye-ball the motor so that it is in the center of engine bay and parallel to the steering rack
Then fab the engine mounts

Then I need inner pieces from some J axles + outer pieces from my 7th gen Civic axles
Measure what length center shafts I need for my axles, then order custom center shafts

Then I need to address things like
-radiator/cooling system - install custom hoses where necessary
-exhaust - weld/fab custom exhaust
-fuel system - use the stock 7th gen Civic fuel system?
-clutch slave cylinder - needs to come from a V6 accord?
-throttle body cable - custom
-ECU/immobilizer/key - needs to come from a V6 accord?

Then comes the wiring. I guess I would need a J-series engine harness.
Then just follow every wire from every sensor on the motor and make sure it leads to the correct ECU pin

After all that is done, I would be able to put the tranny in neutral and start the motor

Some other items to worry about would be
-what shifter/cables - from a v6 accord?
-what gauge cluster - from a v6 accord?

I am just trying to get advice or some pointers on what I am missing ?
Any other problems I might run into?
I wanna have a solid plan before I start buying any parts for this swap
Old 05-24-2020, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: J series V6 swap into 7th gen Civic EM2

Wow no replies 😂

these kids are only god at 4 cylinder swaps. They’re scared of the big v6’s 😂
Old 05-24-2020, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksight87
Wow no replies 😂

these kids are only god at 4 cylinder swaps. They’re scared of the big v6’s 😂
No updates from the OP either... looks like this project was dead on arrival. This would have been an incredibly difficult swap... unique, but very challenging. The OP even suggested this. I think he took his own advice and changed his mind.
You seemed a bit snarky in your reply... are you a four cylinder hater and a V6 fanboy ?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
No updates from the OP either... looks like this project was dead on arrival. This would have been an incredibly difficult swap... unique, but very challenging. The OP even suggested this. I think he took his own advice and changed his mind.
You seemed a bit snarky in your reply... are you a four cylinder hater and a V6 fanboy ?

I LOVE Honda engines no matter the size. I’ve owned 4 cylinders and 6. I am snarky because some people are quick to shut down people’s ideas because “it won’t work” or they think they should “just go with a k series motor” lol

i have acquired a 2001 civic and the motor was bad when I bought it so I am trying to decide what route to go. Either put the original back in it and sell it and find something else, put a k series in it. Or shoot for the fences and put a J35 (with a J32 head) and the 6 speed with LSD.

ive always wanted to do a V6 swap in a civic and I think it would be hard to do but very satisfying when it’s finished.

what are your thoughts?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The "K" series engine family has a ton more support and is a much easier swap in a 7G chassis... but there is nothing wrong with being different. You are going to have to fabricate everything for a V6 swap into a 7G chassis, and if you have the skills to do so, swing for the fences man. I think you can get similar power with a "K" or a "J"... so do you want to be different and difficult or simple and more common... if you can say common with respect to 7G swap cars. Since the chassis is heavy and has a much smaller engine bay, people tend to choose the EG or EK chassis for their lighter weight and larger engine bay... not to mention more products/support to choose from.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The "K" series engine family has a ton more support and is a much easier swap in a 7G chassis... but there is nothing wrong with being different. You are going to have to fabricate everything for a V6 swap into a 7G chassis, and if you have the skills to do so, swing for the fences man. I think you can get similar power with a "K" or a "J"... so do you want to be different and difficult or simple and more common... if you can say common with respect to 7G swap cars. Since the chassis is heavy and has a much smaller engine bay, people tend to choose the EG or EK chassis for their lighter weight and larger engine bay... not to mention more products/support to choose from.
well that’s good to know cause I have a 1997 civic sedan that I was debating putting the J swap in also.

so maybe I’ll sell the 2001 and just stick with my ‘97 civic engine swap 😬
Old 05-26-2020, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Quicksight87
well that’s good to know cause I have a 1997 civic sedan that I was debating putting the J swap in also.

so maybe I’ll sell the 2001 and just stick with my ‘97 civic engine swap 😬
Hey hey hey... now you're thinking.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:50 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well well
I see this is an old topic
4 years ago I wanted put an j32a v6 in a civic 2005 es3 chassis. I have searched the whole internet high and low for ANY damn info. Till now I am searching but Nothing found.
Then I started to machinng the chassis to make it work.
Long story short, tree months later I started to enjoy my J swap 7th gen. But soon, the auto tranny failed. So I dicided to go manual. I start ordered anything i need for the manual swap.
Now, I ve been enjoying this setup for more than 3 years. To be honest,
The chassis doesn't take to much adjustments. Space is thought but I love this swap, especially with a 6 speed from the v6 accord.
It is incredible fast and a lot of other brand v6 can't beat me on the street.
That beeing said, everything is possible!
As long as you believe!
​​​​​​