Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J Series in an EF

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J Series in an EF

I've been reaching out to API, hoping to talk to them soon but until i do that does anyone have knowledge on the difficulty of doing this swap in comparison to putting it in an EG, or Integra?? Is the fit ok?? Will I still need to raise the hood or cut out an opening??
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: J Series in an EF

I have seen it done, but i'm sure it can't be easy. Do you have plenty of cash to throw around? If not you might want to consider something easier, like a B or H series swap.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i've done H and B's to death...

I currently have J32 swap (From a Cl-Type S, both motor and tranny). I was on the phone with API today and he said that they can providea set of modified hasport mounts that would work in the EF, and I could purchase a modified harness and the axles from them as well...the axles were like..$330, the harness was another $300 and the mounts were yet again quoted at about $350...

Seeing as how I took the motor and tranny out of an old donor car I had out behind my grandfathers shop I'm basically paying ONLY slightly over a Grand to get it in (I'm doing the actual swap myself)..so I dunno...

I have 2 EF's, one has an h22/Turbo and the other has a fully built Ls-Vtec in it, i REALLY want to do something nobody else has around here, and make some mean power and torque while i'm at it.. $1100 bucks for 250/240 @ The wheel figures doesn't sound like a bad idea right now...
Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you did the h swap did you use the h2b plate or an h trans? dont you have to cut the frame to fit it?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hatchet_honda
when you did the h swap did you use the h2b plate or an h trans? dont you have to cut the frame to fit it?
If you're using an H Trans it's not an h2b...I bought the adapter plate, that came as a kit, offered a Plate, Flywheel and Clutch all for 1200, using with a Type R trans, in order to get the H in I had to cut and modify the passenger side bracket, and use a modified Rear Mount...What pissed me off about it was that the mounts I originally bought for my H to go in were supposed to be as simple as lining them up, putting them into place (With existing brackets untouched) and mounting the motor up..didn't work like that at all, and I had to have a friend do a **** load of modding on my brackets (Frame) to get it all in..

What was easier using the B-Series trans was less of a pain in the *** then using the H Trans which required a modified mount for the trans...
Old 12-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u have to cut ur hood and its very tite from what iv seen
Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KINGVEM^^ED6
u have to cut ur hood and its very tite from what iv seen

From my understanding if the J32 is used, u can avoid cutting your hood because it's intake manifold has a slimmer design...while the J35's and up CLEARLY require some modifications to the bonnet...I was thinking of elevating the hood a few inches at the back when it's closed, I Really don't wanna cut the hood, I think it's dumb, and I don't want people knowing what's under the cap at first sight..
Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

swap thet j32 in the back make it mid engine rear drive and it would be a beast theres a guy on youtube that did a turbo b20 mid engine
Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bfatdaintegra
swap thet j32 in the back make it mid engine rear drive and it would be a beast theres a guy on youtube that did a turbo b20 mid engine

As awesome as that would be I'm looking at enough just shoe-horning this big muh-fugga into this lil *** EF...

I wanna DO the normal swap first, if I get cocky or confident enough maybe i'll look into something as dynamic as that...

A mid-ship V6 in a small car like that tho...would prolly handle pretty well.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ExtraBlackRex
If you're using an H Trans it's not an h2b...I bought the adapter plate, that came as a kit, offered a Plate, Flywheel and Clutch all for 1200, using with a Type R trans, in order to get the H in I had to cut and modify the passenger side bracket, and use a modified Rear Mount...What pissed me off about it was that the mounts I originally bought for my H to go in were supposed to be as simple as lining them up, putting them into place (With existing brackets untouched) and mounting the motor up..didn't work like that at all, and I had to have a friend do a **** load of modding on my brackets (Frame) to get it all in..

What was easier using the B-Series trans was less of a pain in the *** then using the H Trans which required a modified mount for the trans...
well yeah i know using the h2b kit is using a b trans not an h series obviously. 1200 for that kit? good lord is it a plate of aluminum or gold? im not a broke *** but thats a bit much for me. glad i sold my h22 and just went turbo B
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well yeah i know using the h2b kit is using a b trans not an h series obviously. 1200 for that kit? good lord is it a plate of aluminum or gold? im not a broke *** but thats a bit much for me. glad i sold my h22 and just went turbo B

Well that wasn't just for the plate that was for the plate (Which is high grade, billet aluminum,) a 8.5lb flywheel,and a Stage III Clutch...for that price it's a steal.

I own a Turbo B as well, I WOULDN'T say my Turbo B is *** because it's not (460hp) but compared to my Turbo H, my H is the bigger thriller hands down, combined with the performance of the Type R Trans (and the reliability and durability) it's down right sick...

I wanna do the J because I can make ALOT in that, that u can't really make in B's and H's.....Torque...Sick ***, amounts of Usable, Low, Mid, somewhat high range Torque...all motor, more then 250@the wheel, HP and more then 230@the wheel torque, all motor, straight from the jump...

Then as I do MORE research there are companies that can special order or custom produce After market high compression pistons or Low compression pistons for this motor..

In all honesty a 350-400hp all motor j is NOT impossible, and I cringe thinking at the numbers somebody can put up if they properly boosted one...

For now I'm going to drop it in, and push it for a year before I take the next step which will be either a high compression all motor build or a 10.5:1 Compression Turbo Build...
Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Motor, Trans, ECU + Immobilizer ring & Key accounted for...waitinig for some parts from API and then my J-Journey begins!! Pics coming soon!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking forward to this
Old 12-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Google p2R racing they have a turbo one it's red I'm sure you'll find pictures. Nomatter what you will have to cut your hood unless you get the height adjustable mounts were you can flip them over an make the engine sit lower witch kills the ground clearance. Also hasport makes mounts an axles. I recommend the hybrid shifter box the best shifter option! Also a guy named don from RPM does harnesses an other custom stuff I'm sure you can find him on here his screen name is RPM or somthing like that good luck hope to see your car soon. Post pics.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Touching My Member

Just go for it dude and post your progress on here
Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by .Manny.
Just go for it dude and post your progress on here
Agree'd...
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
can I haz?

I only found this because i was searching for a thread my buddy has with his EF rear engine J32 swap. http://www.j32a.com/showthread.php?t=3014
Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Trial User

you can buy plate less h2b kits where you don't have to cut anything. I know of a distributor, it's getting to be a big thing around my area.