Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

itr in vx

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default itr in vx

Installing a USDM ITR in a 94 VX hatch using a kenji p28. Different people have told me different things but will i need to change my 5 wire o2 to a 4 wire and how Need some input installing this weekend. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: itr in vx (clayj)

Using the US B18C5 engine harness, your swap will be 99% PLUG AND PLAY

With that 1 %, you need to move ONE wire from the unused 4th plug on the VX shock tower harness. That one wire is the ORG/BLU wire. You need to move that to the biggest plug on the shock tower harness to match with the WHITE wire on the US ITR engine harness which leads from the O2 input (D14 pinout) to the O2 sensor.

Bolt everything else and yer done.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Re: itr in vx (poison)

Does local part stores carry timing belt, spark plugs,etc for an itr? Is it the same as gsr?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:49 PM

yep. they do. they might have to order them, but I would go to a Honda dealership.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:51 PM

the motor has 24,xxx miles. Do i need to change anything? just in case
Old 10-01-2003, 02:52 PM

I would just to be safe. But it's not 100% required. Being 24,000 miles, you probably have nothing to worry about. But I would definitely inspect everything.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:53 PM

what do u think i should change?
Old 10-01-2003, 03:38 PM

I would change the timing belt and water pump.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Using the US B18C5 engine harness, your swap will be 99% PLUG AND PLAY

With that 1 %, you need to move ONE wire from the unused 4th plug on the VX shock tower harness. That one wire is the ORG/BLU wire. You need to move that to the biggest plug on the shock tower harness to match with the WHITE wire on the US ITR engine harness which leads from the O2 input (D14 pinout) to the O2 sensor.

Bolt everything else and yer done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the easy way if you are using the ITR harness or any harness that supports the 4 wire O2 wiring. If you are forced you use your stock VX harness then the wiring is a little more complicated. If you are going that route hit me up and I'll send you a good write up that I did on how it's done.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:34 AM

im using the itr motor harness and my vx car harness
Old 10-02-2003, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (clayj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clayj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im using the itr motor harness and my vx car harness</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, then the four wire O2 is already embedded in the ITR harness, you just need to move that one wire.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would change the timing belt and water pump. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree....since you already have the motor out the car
Old 10-03-2003, 04:15 AM

Default Re: itr in vx (BlueHatch00)

I have a brand new ITR timing belt if you need. IM me if your interested
Old 10-03-2003, 08:48 PM

Default Re: itr in vx (Nerv2g)

I have one more quick question. I have been running my car for a month now without changing any wires and I have a 92vx with an itr motor. I do not have an O2 sensor cell. This is the first I have heard of this wiring. Can anyone tell me how my car is running then? Can anyone please post pics of the wiring? Thank you
Old 10-04-2003, 07:04 AM

No one knows now? I know plenty of people who have done itr's swap's in there vx's and b16 swap in vx's which both have 4 wire O2 sensor and have never done this wiring mod that you guys are talking about. Even Tom the MOD on the EG+/del sol board wrote a how-to article and he never mentioned this. Sounds fishy
Old 10-05-2003, 01:57 AM

Nobody? I think the wires you are talking about is if you continue to try and run the EGR system. CLAYJ: Do listen man just continue your swap everything is 100% plug and play. The EGR system is not needed it is a little canister onthe firewall I threw mine out after my swap. Hope that helps
Old 10-05-2003, 05:02 AM

thanks for the help. ill let everyone know how it goes. ill will know when i get it in.thanks
Old 10-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nerv2g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nobody? I think the wires you are talking about is if you continue to try and run the EGR system. CLAYJ: Do listen man just continue your swap everything is 100% plug and play. The EGR system is not needed it is a little canister onthe firewall I threw mine out after my swap. Hope that helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just fixed this on my swap. No CEL but datalog was showing me that the o2 sensor was NOT reading. Once I took the orn/blue wire and repinned it to match up with the large wht wire on the obdII harness, it reads now.

You may seem to be fully operational, but i'm betting your o2 is not reading.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: itr in vx (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I just fixed this on my swap. No CEL but datalog was showing me that the o2 sensor was NOT reading. Once I took the orn/blue wire and repinned it to match up with the large wht wire on the obdII harness, it reads now.

You may seem to be fully operational, but i'm betting your o2 is not reading.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never heard of this before, but if you say that's the deal then I believe you.

I've never thrown a CEL with my 1992 CX and I added no wires, repinned nothing, and I run a Kenji P28 with the ITR engine harness.

I know it's running right though because my a/f ratios are fine and I made 176/130 on the dyno after V-AFC and FPR tuning.

So you guys are saying that this is a VX-only thing, or what? Is it because the VX uses a 5-wire o2 sensor, or what?

I've heard a couple of times that one or two wires didn't look to match up, but again I've never moved a single wire on my swap and it runs 100% perfect and has for 3 years. It was in my old 1992 Si for a year or so before I transferred it into my 1992 CX.

Anyways other than that (it seems) the swap will be 100% plug and play if you run the ITR engine narness and Kenji P28 ECU. Don't listen when people tell you "you can't run an OBD2 engine harness in an OBD1 car" because it's bullshit and you'll be giving up the better/newer distributor, injectors, and starter that way.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: itr in vx (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you guys are saying that this is a VX-only thing, or what? Is it because the VX uses a 5-wire o2 sensor, or what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it's only a problem in the VX model. Basically the VX has a factory wideband O2 unlike the CX which is a single wire O2 like what's used in the older OBD0 setups. The VX has an extra cabin harness plug on the passenger side which is where the O2 wiring lies. When you do a swap in a VX and use a different engine harness (one that supports the 4 wire O2) other than the stock harness, that's when you need to repin the wire so it makes the proper connection.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: itr in vx (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes it's only a problem in the VX model. Basically the VX has a factory wideband O2 unlike the CX which is a single wire O2 like what's used in the older OBD0 setups. The VX has an extra cabin harness plug on the passenger side which is where the O2 wiring lies. When you do a swap in a VX and use a different engine harness (one that supports the 4 wire O2) other than the stock harness, that's when you need to repin the wire so it makes the proper connection.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Excellent.

I remember a guy asking me months ago what that "extra" plug on the Vx was, and I had no idea. I told him I wasn't sure, so now this makes perfect sense.

I guess I'll be revising some posts with wiring info, huh?

Old 10-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: itr in vx (B18C5-EH2)

Also, with the VX you could run the Kenji without any issues. Its a open loop (or closed i forget ) but it doesnt even read the o2 sensor. So it'll run the same, o2 or not.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:05 AM

so all i need to do is move that one wire and thats it correct? i dont have to change any wires on the ecu harness do i?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Re: itr in vx (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, with the VX you could run the Kenji without any issues. Its a open loop (or closed i forget ) but it doesnt even read the o2 sensor. So it'll run the same, o2 or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe that is why I do not have a probelm then. I am using a Kenji chipped P28 with my swap
Old 10-08-2003, 03:15 AM

Can we please have pics of the wire mod? (vtecvillian) Thanks

Quick Reply: itr in vx