Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best?

I just installed a 5-Lug Conv./Sus. swap into my EG (VX) and was wondering what aftermarket springs and Coilovers would be best for Autocross/Canyon Carving Touge/Road Racing.

What spring rates would offer the best handling capabilities while using the stock ITR shocks? My car currently runs the stock D15Z1 (V-TEC-E, 92 hp) it came with but I plan on adding a B18C5 in the near future (by the end of the year) and my car is completely gutted (the drivers seat and dash - including the stock steering wheel with no air bag and radio yanked out - are the only things remaining).

I'm sure I have a major front weight bais and I wanted to know what was the best way to tune the suspension to prevent understeer and/or get more neutral handling. Please keep in mind that ride quality is not an issue.

Any information would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

[Modified by ESCALVANTE, 8:52 AM 9/13/2001]
Old 09-17-2001, 02:45 PM
New User

Default Re: ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best? (ESCALVANTE)

hey bro where did u get the conversion from? what did it run you?
Old 09-17-2001, 04:54 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best? (ESCALVANTE)

Obviously your car is an all-out racecar of sorts. I would call Truechoice and have them set you up with custom shortened Koni double adjustables and a set of very firm (I'm thinking 600/800 or so?) springs. Then of course you can take the car to be corner weighted and given a proper race alignment. You should also look into adding a set of front/rear swaybars to the car, as well as the typical strut bars. If you have the money I would also invest in a 6-8 point rollbar along with a racing seat and 4+ point harness. This will translate into a much stiffer car that will handle very well. Of course, you may end up swapping spring rates 3-4 times until you find the correct (for you) set-up that will make you happy.

Touge? Heh.

Oh, I forgot, you should get a set of Z10 radius arms while you're at it.

[Modified by SkyeC, 5:55 PM 9/17/2001]
Old 09-17-2001, 05:24 PM
DB8
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best? (SkyeC)

got a pic of your EG with the 5 bolts?
i have the same car(93SI) and the same set up, i am now using 5 zigen full coilover, works very well on my road course while still pretty comfortable on the street, if i were you, maybe you can think of the Tien RA, that should give you some serious handling, and yes the rear swap bar is a must as well(maybe the type R one22mm), oh and did you install the master cylinder and brake booster as well? and which one?
Old 09-17-2001, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best? (Nighthawk GS-R)

I got it off of some guy selling his on thepartstrader.com. He was asking $1000 but I gave him $900. I picked it up from his house too so I didn't have to pay shipping.
Old 09-18-2001, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best? (SkyeC)

I'm thinking of going the Ground-Control way with 650/850 (maybe 700/900)springs and Advance Design shocks. I could also go with either of the above mentioned springs (You're right about having to swap springs out several times, and I think I'll end up buying two sets of springs for bumpy and smooth road surfaces, finances permitting of course.)and those Koni double adjustables mounted inversely.

Getting the car corner weighted and aligned? Hmmm. Do you have any suggestions? I know I'll need toe-out in front and toe-in out back, how much of each do you recommend?

I am running the stock ITR swaybars f/r and for those of you that didn't know, these are bigger than what most aftermarket tuners offer.

I am planning on going all out Benen Industries for the chassis stiffening as of right now, I might add a 6 point when I add the B18C5 though. I would love to have a Sparco Carbon Fiber Rev seat ($1499.00 each, OUCH!) but I'm pretty sure I will end up getting the fiberglass Rev ($500-ish) with 4 or 5 point harness from Sparco/Sabelt. I would love to have white Willans belts though.

Touge (pronounced toe-gay) is a Japanese term for grip racing up a mountain. [credit to FF-Squad.com for this]

Ahhhh... Z-10 radius arms, soon, very soon.
Old 09-18-2001, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best? (DB8)

Sorry, no pics as of yet but as soon as I get them, I'll be sure and send you one though.

The Tein REs and RSs (Super Racing Spec Damper as opposed to just Racing Spec Damper labeled on the RAs)sound real good right now but they will put a big dent in my wallet and when they are shoot, blown, messed up, or leaking, I don't know of any company here in the states that will service them. I once considered the Tanabe Sustech Pro-SS (W/ HELPER SPRING!!! ) but I haven't heard any racing teams use or praise them.

The master cylinder/booster is off of an ITR but I have to replace it soon because the fluid-holding canister is cracked. I don't have the slightest idea of how it cracked but I'm sure it will leak in due time so I'm considering getting the Spoon MC/Booster and DOT 4 brake fluid with Goodridge stainless steal brake lines.

Please keep in mind that most of these items I've mentioned that "I'm getting" are all coming through as soon as finances permit them to. [Sometimes I wish I had a credit card.]
Old 09-19-2001, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well if you want to go the cheap way like I did when I did my ITR 5 lug swap, just get some KYB AGX for the integra and nuespeed Integra springs to compensate for the extra weight of the engine..I plan on going to Ground Control coilovers soon, been hearing really good things about them..but alas cash...
Old 09-20-2001, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best? (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

"700/900"

You will need to get your teeth replaced with that type of spring rate...........
Old 09-20-2001, 05:20 PM
New User

ESCALVANTE--nice setup!! Benen industries = !!!

What wheel/tire combo are you planning on getting? I have Falken Azenis 205/50-15 tires and they are truly amazing. Just on the street end of full road race tires, theyre soft and sticky but cheap enough so that you wont mind wearin through 'em.

I would reccomend either the Truechoice or Tein systems--either way is a good move.

Post up some pics if you get 'em
Old 09-20-2001, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ITR 5-Lug Conv./Sus. into EG, What Aftermarket springs/Coilovers are best? (tampaSi)

tampaSi: Thanks and I was planning on running Regamaster Evos (silver or gunmetal) 15x6.5s or 16x7s [what do you think?] on non-other than Falken Azenis I have heard tons of good things about those tires and the only other tire that comes to mind is the Yoko A032Rs (you know, those slicks with tread).

Would you mind giving me the web address to Truechoice? Thanks.

Next money-free mod, removal of the front/rear bumper support (to reduce your cars weight by approx. 40 pounds.)

[Modified by ESCALVANTE, 8:30 AM 9/22/2001]