Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a 1989 Civic DX auto sedan that I want to put a B16A + 5 speed in. What & How do I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 1989 Civic DX auto sedan that I want to put a B16A + 5 speed in. What & How do I do it?

Like the title says, I have a 1989 Civic DX auto sedan that I want to convert to a manual tansmission & place a B16A+5 speed in it. I also have a 1988 CRX HF that had the B16A in it that I will use for a parts car. Nothing is wrong with the CRX other than it is COMPLETELY STRIPPED ON THE INTERIOR & I want something with A/C to drive every day. The CRX shell is for sale BTW.

How do I convert the sedan to use the manual trans from the B-series? What do I have to do & how?

Can I use the stock DX/Auto engine harness & send that to Hasport so they can convert it for use with the B16A? If not, what do I do?

Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I have a 1989 Civic DX auto sedan that I want to put a B16A + 5 speed in. What & How do I do it?

HAVE FUN!!! or cough up the 1500 bucks to pay someone to do it!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I have a 1989 Civic DX auto sedan that I want to put a B16A + 5 speed in. What & How do I do it?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HAVE FUN!!! or cough up the 1500 bucks to pay someone to do it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

People act like it's the hardest thing EVER....it's not easy, but there's far worse things.

I'm not 100% sure about the EF's, but here's what I did when I swapped my EG from auto to 5-speed.

Get the clutch pedal, master cylinder, and lines off of your parts car (I'm not sure if the CRX will swap over or not...I'm an EG guy, not EF )

Pull your old motor out...run the lines along the firewall that go to your tranny, put the master cylinder in its place, and bolt up the clutch pedal.

On my EG I had to buy a special auto to manual mount because the bracket that the mount goes to sits up higher on auto's for whatever reason...(I got mine from Hasport for $175).

Also, where the shifter comes up through the floorboard...on auto's it is a square shaped hole, while on the manuals it is a circular hole...there are 2 options that come to mind to get the rubber boot to fit.

1) Buy a square rubber boot
2) Take a reciprocating saw to your parts car and cut out the area surrounding the circular hole...flatten out or cut the square hole out of your car. Place the circular hole area over where the square one used to be...drill some self-tapping screws around it and seal it off with silicone sealant (at least that's what I did)

That's about it.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not 100% sure about the EF's, but here's what I did when I swapped my EG from auto to 5-speed.

G

That's about it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and that's the difference between them....eg/ef are DIFFERENT....ef mounts are different than eg's....it is alot easier in an EG...ALOT....

so until you've done it you really don't know what you are talking about...I have done them in both and would RECOMMEND going out and just buying a 5 speed chasis to start with...
Old 04-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^So the only difference in them is the mounts?^