Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought my B20 from HMO today

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 08:43 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought my B20 from HMO today

I've heard some bad things about them. So I figured, since I'm local and picking it up, it'll be fine. Well, there are good news and bad news.

I'll start with the good - I went to pick up the motor, I picked one that was in great condition and included everything.

The bad news - for you guys that order them onine from other states, I feel sorry for you. Most of the blocks (at least the B20's, cuz that's all I went to check out), had missing alturnators, broken distributors, missing sensors, and looks like it has been sitting outdoors and the whether has been beating on them. Most of the motors looked like there's corision (sp) building...white grains like acid has been eating it.

IMO, HMO has great prices, but only if you're local. I personally wouldn't buy from them online. The place isn't very professional. It's pretty much a minature warehouse and that's it. Their office is a tiny, messy, ghetto room with a laptop.

I got a great deal because 1) I went to pick it up, which saved on shipping. 2) I also got to pick out my own block that I felt was in best condition. 3) I paid cash so the guy waved tax.

This is just my opinion of HMO. Just wanna let you guys know and not get screwed anymore from the stories I hear on this board. This is just my point of view, not trying to bash on their business.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:18 PM

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (GapxGuy)

Sounds like if I decide to go with them, I'll have to make a trip to pick it up in person.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (AresB18C1Turbo)

*shakes head*
whats happened to them...
Old 11-14-2002, 08:42 AM
New User

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (KAMiN)

geez I was thinking of getting a long block from there as well...thanks for the heads up
Old 11-14-2002, 09:30 AM

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (lshatchturbo)

I disagree, i bought a motor from them recently. I am in GA, they are in cali, about as far away as you can get. The motor I received was in great shape, and ran fine. There was a slight problem: it had a leaky headgasket. I called steven, 2 days later I had a mugen headgasket and a check for $300 for the labor. I had a problom, and he fixed it quickly, and with no questions asked. HMO gets from me.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (311)

[Modified by ItsAllAboutTheZC, 7:15 PM 11/15/2002]
Old 11-14-2002, 12:03 PM

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (ItsAllAboutTheZC)

Everybody has all these hear say stories or someone jumps the gun when theres a mistake made on steves part ((HMO)) im not saying hes perfact, and maybe he does mistakes, but go back and read the posts after the customers talked to steve, he always makes things right and or refunds full amount. I just cant believe all theses bad things i hear about him. Ive come to be pretty tight with steve and hes done nothing but take care of our group. Always returns my calls promptly, motors and/or items are always as described, and always arrive very fast!!! Im not saying noone has a had a bad experience...i just dont understand with the service i have always recieved.. I still swear by HMO

Chris
Old 11-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (Silver EG)

He's proven himself a liar...even if he does take care of things, he flat out lies about little things..

For instance, he told me he sent out my missing parts via USPS like 3 weeks ago...

Nothing came for 3 weeks, and then suddenly all my stuff shows up via overnight from UPS.

It's cool that I got my parts, but why lie about it in the first place? It's just really annoying little things...almost pathological lying.

Also, I've had my motor for over a month, and I've yet to get a receipt. He almost refuses to give me one. It's been 'in the mail' for like a month now.

Oh, yeah...and that corrosion you're talking about....yeah, I had that....I think a lot of motors do. It's no biggie, comes off pretty easy. You've got to remember, even though most of the engines are relatively low mileage, they're still sitting in a junkyard in Japan for sometimes 10 years...I would expect some corrosion It's what's inside that counts

BTW, for those of you who have seen it in person...is it still a one man show? He told me almost a year ago that he just hired an 'online' staff...which would consist of 3 people to sit around all day JUST to respond to emails/take online orders. Was this a lie too? Just curious. heh.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (hot_EG)

man...this engine swapping bussiness is some sketchy **** sometimes... Makes me afraid to do one.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:03 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

BTW, for those of you who have seen it in person...is it still a one man show? He told me almost a year ago that he just hired an 'online' staff...which would consist of 3 people to sit around all day JUST to respond to emails/take online orders. Was this a lie too? Just curious. heh.
Well, all I saw was him and one worker. He answers the phone and the other guy rips the motors out of the front clips, wraps, package, and ships them out. Oh yeah, some of his "homies" come and go. lol, He seems like a decent guy I guess.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (Silver EG)

Everybody has all these hear say stories or someone jumps the gun when theres a mistake made on steves part ((HMO)) im not saying hes perfact, and maybe he does mistakes, but go back and read the posts after the customers talked to steve, he always makes things right and or refunds full amount. I just cant believe all theses bad things i hear about him. Ive come to be pretty tight with steve and hes done nothing but take care of our group. Always returns my calls promptly, motors and/or items are always as described, and always arrive very fast!!! Im not saying noone has a had a bad experience...i just dont understand with the service i have always recieved.. I still swear by HMO

Chris
Old 11-15-2002, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's proven himself a liar...even if he does take care of things, he flat out lies about little things..

For instance, he told me he sent out my missing parts via USPS like 3 weeks ago...

Nothing came for 3 weeks, and then suddenly all my stuff shows up via overnight from UPS.

It's cool that I got my parts, but why lie about it in the first place? It's just really annoying little things...almost pathological lying.

Also, I've had my motor for over a month, and I've yet to get a receipt. He almost refuses to give me one. It's been 'in the mail' for like a month now.

Oh, yeah...and that corrosion you're talking about....yeah, I had that....I think a lot of motors do. It's no biggie, comes off pretty easy. You've got to remember, even though most of the engines are relatively low mileage, they're still sitting in a junkyard in Japan for sometimes 10 years...I would expect some corrosion It's what's inside that counts

Same kinda thing happened to my friend's..... They said that it was gonna be sent on a certain day, we waited a month and stil nothing, they never answer there phone, then one day we got ahold of them.... They told us some **** like they can only recieve $100,000.00 in Visa orders a month... 3 days later the motor arrived.. It looked okay except it the distributor cap and rotor were cracked, the for some reason they had put a VTEC solenoid on it off of a first GEN motor... I was ready to swap the T-belt and water pump only to find that the block was crack and the holes where the driver side upper mount had no threads in them.. They just shot the bolts in with an impact gun.... Hope your swap goes well... But **** OFF HMO.... http://www.hondamotorsonline.com

[Modified by JDMspecEG6, 2:21 PM 11/15/2002]
Old 11-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (JDMspecEG6)

I have been doing business with Steve (HMO) for some time now. I have nothing but good things to say about quality and service.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (2point6)

Got mine w/ a broken map sensor which isnt that big of a deal since I can use the one from my current engine. The valvecover was dented big time but other then that I was pleased w/ them. S/H sucks.

Blaze
Old 12-05-2002, 04:11 PM

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (The Mole)

Chris
Ditto. I am pretty amazed at some of the posts I see online about them. I've always been taken care of, if something is wrong, its fixed.

P.S. A Broken dizzy cap, dirty exterior, or missing alternator doesnt have anything to say about the quality of the engines. If some of the engines have missing sensors, I am sure they are replaced before being shipped out, as Steve garuntee's all of his sensors.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (GapxGuy)

I've heard some bad things about them. So I figured, since I'm local and picking it up, it'll be fine. Well, there are good news and bad news.

I'll start with the good - I went to pick up the motor, I picked one that was in great condition and included everything.

The bad news - for you guys that order them onine from other states, I feel sorry for you. Most of the blocks (at least the B20's, cuz that's all I went to check out), had missing alturnators, broken distributors, missing sensors, and looks like it has been sitting outdoors and the whether has been beating on them. Most of the motors looked like there's corision (sp) building...white grains like acid has been eating it.

IMO, HMO has great prices, but only if you're local. I personally wouldn't buy from them online. The place isn't very professional. It's pretty much a minature warehouse and that's it. Their office is a tiny, messy, ghetto room with a laptop.

I got a great deal because 1) I went to pick it up, which saved on shipping. 2) I also got to pick out my own block that I felt was in best condition. 3) I paid cash so the guy waved tax.

This is just my opinion of HMO. Just wanna let you guys know and not get screwed anymore from the stories I hear on this board. This is just my point of view, not trying to bash on their business.

dayum i just came back from this place in queens that made me freaking cringe. The motors where in the poorest of poor condition. All of them h22a's (happy too see so many h22a's sad to see the condition they where in) they had this one dude with a tooth brush and gasoline cleaning the motors when i asked the guy there how much for a swap he told me that it would be 1650 for the motor.. i asked for a complete (ecu, tranny, motor) he said 3g's i was like daaaayyymm mother ****** lol.. so as i was leaving he told me that why not just get the motor beiing that my f-series tranny (92accord) had the same gear ratio's as the h22a ah! wtf is this guy talking bout.. i fliped on him. now i seriously wasnt gonna try to hangle on the price bein that this dipshit dont kno **** bout the h22a's and/or trannys etc.. they dont even do a leak down or compression test there and they want 3g's wtf..

well tha's my bad experince. so i guess i am gonna cross my fingers and order from OSAKA in canada or maybe get the ***** to drive up there and hand pix a motor n bring it back (doubt that rather pay 250 for shipping) but i am gonna go OSAKA over HMO there site isnt even up and the more i surf the boards the more the NEG's out way the POS's for HMO...
Old 12-08-2002, 06:42 AM
Please don't hurt me!

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (patastinky)

well im thinking about opening a place in south florida

and im gonna run some good business ethnics
Old 12-08-2002, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (couter)

nice... keep us posted, because i am in no rush in getting a h22a as long as i get a very reliable swap .. *bottom line*
Old 12-08-2002, 12:55 PM

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (couter)

please do ... there is a shortage of quality shops in south florida
Old 12-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (Ej6B20)

Steve is one of the most trustworthy guys I have ever done business with in this import scene. I can't praise him enought.

I have bought everything for my swap from him.

[Modified by garth, 2:53 PM 12/8/2002]
Old 12-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (siblue-sol)

There have been many many posts lately about HMO and it's a 2 sided story plain and simple. The people that get the good stuff give HMO a and the people that get the bad give them a .
I personally have no dealt with them but my friend bought what was supposed to be a second gen B16 SiRII longblock. He received a 91 Integra XSi that came from an auto car - still had the flexplate attached This motor is basically just a first gen B16 but grey plug like OBDI. They were not willing to exchange or refund him in any way so the motor went in the car. It runs strong and there have not been any problems yet, but the fact of the matter is he got ripped.
To the people out there that say Steve is "the man" or he "hooked me up", I guess you were the fortunate ones. Buying used motors is like playing Russian Roulette, eventually someone's gonna lose.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:20 AM

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (VTECVillain)

i dont see how he got rip'd...
he order'd a 2nd gen longblock...
a motor that is stamp'd 1991 went into a 1992 integra xsi, which is obd-1
which is 2nd gen, which is 170hp, which is p30 pistons etc etc
longblocks usually come from auto tranny's... the reason why they are longblocks instead of swaps is because nobody wants the auto tranny so ALL shops sell them as longblocks.

your friend got exactly what he order'd, it performs flawlessly, yet your unsatisfied?

dont talk crap when you dont know what you order.
you order'd a 2nd gen b16 longblock and thats exactly what u got... and on top of it, it performes perfectly.
i dont see anything not to be satisifed about.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (laugHin22CX)

LMAO! This topic comes up every other day. And each time, the same guys are ripping on HMO like he ate their kids or something?

For MOST of the guys that recieved a bad or broken part, weren't most of them replaced? And of the broken parts, how many were "wear" items? And of the guys that didn't get a replacement, I can only imagine your attitude when calling Steve. Dude, if you called me up bitching about how long it takes for me to get you a FREE part...don't expect it anytime soon either. And a 3 week wait isn't a long time. Suck it up and wait your turn.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (laugHin22CX)

a motor that is stamp'd 1991 went into a 1992 integra xsi, which is obd-1
which is 2nd gen, which is 170hp, which is p30 pistons etc etc
170hp? not the auto tranny motors - they have weaker cams
P30 pistons??? This motor has PR3 pistons

You don't know the whole story so don't assume what you don't know. This motor was NOT what he ordered. He specifically asked and paid for an SiRII longblock from a manual car.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I bought my B20 from HMO today (VTECVillain)

their site is up, except they changed the URL.

what used to be http://www.hondamotorsonline.com is now http://www.hmotorsonline.com

Quick Reply: I bought my B20 from HMO today