Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hybrid transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid transmission

I've got an "LS" geared 92/93 YS1 transmission in my car and I want to change around the gearing. What I need is to verify what year (and type) car the parts would come out of so that I can order them from Honda (Acura).

There are two things I'm doing.

1. I want to change the final drive ratio from 4.267 to 4.4. I believe that I need the parts from a 93 GSR. That's the ring gear and also counter shaft.

2. I want to change 5th gear from 0.743 to 0.714. It would be the two relevant gears, one on the countershaft and the other on the main shaft. I believe that I want these from a 94 Intera LS.

And then there is one other question; I've heard that some Honda shift rods (the internal ones) are better than others. What is the story and are they worth changing.

Wes Vann
Old 09-20-2004, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Hybrid transmission (Wes V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wes V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got an "LS" geared 92/93 YS1 transmission in my car and I want to change around the gearing. What I need is to verify what year (and type) car the parts would come out of so that I can order them from Honda (Acura).

There are two things I'm doing.

1. I want to change the final drive ratio from 4.267 to 4.4. I believe that I need the parts from a 93 GSR. That's the ring gear and also counter shaft.

2. I want to change 5th gear from 0.743 to 0.714. It would be the two relevant gears, one on the countershaft and the other on the main shaft. I believe that I want these from a 94 Intera LS.

And then there is one other question; I've heard that some Honda shift rods (the internal ones) are better than others. What is the story and are they worth changing.

Wes Vann</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, since YS1 B16A tranny's use 92+ hydro Y21 internals (which are probably the same as other hydro B16 internals - S4C), I assume you can use the same final drive & 5th gear(s) from the same tranny's in your LS YS1 tranny. The thing I'm not 100% sure of is if the YS1 LS tranny has the exact same diameter final drive ring gear & diff vs. a B17A YS1's ring & diff gear's diameter. I bet they share the same diameter size though.

As for the shift rods, 92+ tranny's have a better internal design than previous year cable tranny's (90-91), hence the use of hydro b-series tranny internals in 92-93 cable B-series 'missions...
Old 09-20-2004, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Hybrid transmission (Katman)

Katman;

That's all fine, but doesn't answer my questions.

When I go to the dealer, what cars do I tell them are the source for the parts I need.

Wes
Old 09-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you will need the 92-93 diff, ring gear, countershaft and first gear and bearing for the countershaft

you would be better off just swapping hydro internals in your cable case
Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wes V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Katman;

That's all fine, but doesn't answer my questions.

When I go to the dealer, what cars do I tell them are the source for the parts I need.

Wes</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use either 92-93 GSR final drive parts tranny parts or 92-95 DOHC Delsol B16 (Y21-hydro tranny) final drive parts. Both are compatible with a YS1 tranny.

5th gear, you'll have to order the counter & main 5th from any 94-01 LS transmission.

good luck...
Old 09-20-2004, 12:16 PM

Katman; Thanks.

DirtySol; What I'll end up with is the same first through fifth gearing as the "hydro", except with a slightly higher final drive. I don't believe that there would be a cost advantage to picking up a complete hydro trans just for the fifth gear ratio (all the other gear ratios are the same as what is currently in the transmission). It looks like the two gears required for "fifth" will be about $120 (at acuracarland).

Wes
Old 09-21-2004, 10:41 AM

Katman;

This seems too weird! I looked at the San Leandro Honda and Sunnyside Acura web sites.

At the San Leandro Honda site, the countershaft for a 93 Del Sol 2dr SI would cost only $56. (the photo doesn't look like it would be a compatable countershaft, but then that's no proof)

At the Sunnyside Acura web site they reference two different countershafts and each is priced at around $255. (the photo does look correct from what I recall my "LS" countershaft looked like)

The part numbers do not match (no surprise however).

So what's the story? Anybody know? I'd sure rather buy the part for 56 bucks and not 255!!!!

Wes
Old 09-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

chances are that the $56 part is nothig but a countershaft bearing

I HIGHLY doubt that you will find a NEW countershaft for $56
Old 09-21-2004, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Hybrid transmission (DirtySol)

Oh heck (PC), my bad!!!!!

That 55 bucks is in the "you save" column! Doh!! The "cost" is $238 and that makes sense.

Wes
Old 09-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wes V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh heck (PC), my bad!!!!!

That 55 bucks is in the "you save" column! Doh!! The "cost" is $238 and that makes sense.

Wes</TD></TR></TABLE>

wes,
come to think of it, I have some spare gearing parts (fd shaft and ring gear) from a CTR tranny. I believe the shaft will be compatible with your YS1 tranny, but the ring gear might be a little too big in diameter for your YS1 casing. Lemme know if you're interested in it at all. I can sell either item to you for a reasonable pricing and if none of the parts work out for you, you can always return it and I'll pay you back....

PM me if interested.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:05 PM

Katman;

Ya, I'm interested and I'll "IM" you my phone number so we can talk about it. (I don't live that far from Pasadena and it would be nice to meet the famous Katman)

Could you ask around to see if anybody you know has the "fifth" gear set from a "hydro" transmission.

The 4.4 ratio will fit in the YS1 without modification. It's when you go to 4.785 that you have to clearance the internals. Even if I wanted to run a 4.785, the Quaiffe that I have will not work with it. It will work with the 4.4 final gear.

Wes
Old 09-21-2004, 03:07 PM

As far as the shift forks are concerned, the hydro transmission shift forks (I think all of them, but you could always compare numbers..) are 1-piece welded units. The YS1 rods are the 2-piece type with the cast fork. I assume the 1-piece are stronger -- they look to be, and if you search part numbers you will find that the replacement number for the YS1 5th-reverse fork is the same as the newer 94+ units. Seems like it was superseded.

You will want to use the hydro LS forks, though, as the GSR/ITR 3-4 fork is wider and won't work. I believe the 1st-2nd fork would be the same size, and the 5-R fork is the same for all models. It was a few months ago that I researched all of this, so be sure and comfirm with part numbers.

You could also run a GSR/ITR final drive if you 1) use the matching diff and 2) clearance the case a little.