Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hybrid Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 08:28 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Suspension

Didn't get any response in the EG Forum....so I'll try here. I did a search...but wasn't really what I'm looking for. I have a 92 hatchback..in the process of getting a b18c1 swapped.

Now as far as suspension goes, my two choices are either GCs with Koni yellows..or just lowering springs/Koni Yellows. I used to have GCs on my 98 civic...no complaints of the product...just that I never really took advantage of em. I did slam it...but learned the hard way that it's not pratical for daily use...so raised it back up to a 1-2finger gap.

I know you can get custom rates for the GCs...which is a good thing considering I'll have a heavier motor. But does that mean regular springs wouldn't be up for the job? I guess the only real reason why I'm considering springs is that I don't have to worry about adjusting it for that ever so illusive perfect ride height...not to mention I can save about $200. Any advice for me?????

-Rod
Old 03-18-2002, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Hybrid Suspension (RK)

My 2 Cents......
If you are going to Road Race the car: Get something that is adjustable, because you will find that being able to tweak your ride height improves your times. Too low and air slows your car because it cannot go underneath. Too High and you get body roll, instability, and drag created by the air.

If you are just going street it only matters that it is high enough to keep you from scraping on stuff and to keep from tearing out fenderliners.

It is your call of course...but I would go GCs because if you dont like the ride height of the springs you are screwed with them.

Important: Make sure you get springs that are rated for a GSR or TypeR because they are stiffer to compensate for heavier motor. Also get shocks that are rated for the higher weight of the motor. I ran my hatch on stock civic shocks and lowering springs with my R swap and it only took a week before the shocks completely failed. Now I run Tein HAs and they are siiickkk!!!

Jayson S.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:08 AM
New User

Default Re: Hybrid Suspension (Jayson S.)

Thanks for the input man. Damn, so u killed the shocks in only a week?? Imma probably have to run on my stock springs/shocks for a couple weeks before I get the GCs ordered. Thanks man.

-Rod
Old 03-18-2002, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Suspension (Jayson S.)

My 2 Cents......
If you are going to Road Race the car: Get something that is adjustable, because you will find that being able to tweak your ride height improves your times. Too low and air slows your car because it cannot go underneath. Too High and you get body roll, instability, and drag created by the air.
There is no logic behind this. The real use of coilovers is to get the correct weight at each corner of the car for the handling characteristics you desire.

Coilovers do affect these things:
Corner-weighting
Weight transfer (based mostly on spring rate)
Static and dynamic alignment (camber/toe changes)
Oversteer and understeer is a result of these factors, and the difference in spring rates between the front and rear.

The common person really doesn't care about aerodynamics, so long as the car is stable at highway speeds.

[Modified by mojoGSR92, 6:05 PM 3/18/2002]
Old 03-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hybrid Suspension (mojoGSR92)

what is the ride quality like on GC's with koni yellows?
Old 03-18-2002, 04:52 PM
New User

Default Re: Hybrid Suspension (KAMiN)

Well I got quoted for $1100 for the GC/Koni installed/aligned. Kinda seems high to me...but it is a shop that does very good work.

-Rod
Old 03-19-2002, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Hybrid Suspension (mojoGSR92)

Well....hrmmm....... Logic.
All that you said is correct except there is a heck of a lot of logic behind aerodynamics. I have been working for a Private Mod shop that does everything from Vintage restorations to Sprint Cars. We also build Salt Flat Racers. I have learned from working on those that if you can find the sweet spot where air is able to pass by your car quickly but not apply drag or lift your car you will be able to drop maybe even a second. I have been working on cars for 10 years and 4 of them at that shop. If you think that the ride height is not something worth giving thought and consideration to, than that is fine. I will be faster than you for sure!

But listen to yourself:"The common person really doesn't care about aerodynamics, so long as the car is stable at highway speeds."

And I said if you are gonna road race(=track) than you will like being able to tune ride height for aerodynamics. The common every day person does not road race/track their car. You contradict yourself by saying there is no logic behind it and then saying average person doesnt care about it=People that really race do because it is important.

Basically: Do your homework and think about what you are going to say before you try and say someone is wrong. Contradicting yourself makes you look dumb.

Jayson S.