Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hybrid Idea.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Idea.

This came to me about 5 minutes ago, while lying in bed. I've been thinking about the embarassing lack of torque my Civic has when motoring around town, and I just thought of something... Hybrid. Yes, the unthinkable for an automatic Honda.

I could swap in an auto B18B/B20B/Z into my little Civic, lower it a bit, and call it a day. Nothing really fancy, just something to help me haul around beautiful San Diego. If I ever decide to take it to the track, a piddy little Zex 50-shot would suffice.

The concept of "waste of money" and "should have gotten a 5-speed" have also occurred to me, but the way I see it is that the uniqueness of the situation outweighs the money issue.

Anyway, I just got out of bed to post this, and I probably have no idea what I'm saying right now. But please, consider this concept of mine and try to work with me rather than bashing me for not switching over to MT.

If you're gonna flame, please PM me. I don't need any negative comments on this thread. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (dom93hatch)

its one of those nights huh. where you cant stop thinking of lack of torque your vechile has. i feel you man, ive been through that and it sucks. just get a b20 and you sure will be happy with the results. might as well slap a turbo on it while your at it. good luck...
Old 07-18-2002, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (amit)

its one of those nights huh. where you cant stop thinking of lack of torque your vechile has. i feel you man, ive been through that and it sucks. just get a b20 and you sure will be happy with the results. might as well slap a turbo on it while your at it. good luck...
No turbo for me. I just want it to be a semi-quick street machine. Something really simple.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just convert to 5speed?

or if you wanna be diffrent and keep it auto (just a side note, most riceboy stunnas drive autos. ever seen a monster tach with an auto tranny? i have. and a greddy kit on a dx thats auto? i have.)

but just so you know, youll never see the full potential of the engine with an automatic transmission.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:04 AM

Nothing really fancy, just something to help me haul around beautiful San Diego. If I ever decide to take it to the track, a piddy little Zex 50-shot would suffice.

The concept of "waste of money" and "should have gotten a 5-speed" have also occurred to me, but the way I see it is that the uniqueness of the situation outweighs the money issue.

Ur idea will defenitely work. The b20 has the most torque so its the most logical choice.
But then again thats it. There is very little room for improvement. Adding any more considerable Power to the engine will break the Auto trans. Clutch packs will mostlikely be the first to go when u start boosting.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (C5_ALLMOTOR)

if you do it right, an automatic motor on nitrous can be pretty nice...say an automatic lsvtec on a 50 shot...
LS/VTEC is illegal in California, unless you can hook me up!
Old 07-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (KAMiN)

why not just convert to 5speed?
I'm pretty lazy. Besides, none of the San Diego H-T peeps wanted to help me out during the last meet!

or if you wanna be diffrent and keep it auto (just a side note, most riceboy stunnas drive autos. ever seen a monster tach with an auto tranny? i have. and a greddy kit on a dx thats auto? i have.)
You've got to be kidding... Stunnaz drive automatics? I DID NOT know that. lol. If I do decide to swap it in, I'm probably just going to get the auto 92-95 EX guage cluster so that I have a tach.

but just so you know, youll never see the full potential of the engine with an automatic transmission.
I know. I'm not going to race it.

for everyone!
Old 07-19-2002, 03:09 PM

not to be a dick, but is this just because you cant drive stick?

Old 07-19-2002, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (Teen Heartthrob)

Hey Dom,
I would help you out..but the problem will be locating a place to work on your car, tools and know-how.. I have never seen a auto-to- manual done before..but if you got the cash to get all the parts you will need, you can do anything!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

I've seen prices for auto to 5 speed labor around a grand without tranny!
Old 07-20-2002, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (Teen Heartthrob)

not to be a dick, but is this just because you cant drive stick?

Big motherfucking !!! Read the post - I'm trying to be unique here.

Of course I can drive stick dude! Learned when I was 13! I'm just seeing the different options that are available. I guess you guys are just so intent on 5-spd... Us automatic foos don't get no respect around here... *sniff sniff*

B-C-H: I know exactly where we can work on it. My friend's dad is a mechanic, so we can always go to his house and do it there. Ah well... fudge. Guess I'm gonna be shelling out for the 5-spd conversion.

C'mon...don't I get any support for the automatic? Hahahahahaha!!!

Once again, read the post before you reply! I'm not doing this to go racing up at Buttonwillow or whatever. It's a daily driver, nothing flashy, nothing special.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hybrid Idea.

the only problem with an auto tranny is that it won't be that reliable at power levels that are more than factory. If you plan on staying with a factory motor and not ******* it out all the time, get an auto. If you want to run 12 sec quartermiles, I don't know if an auto would hold up that well.

good luck with your car,

Mike Miguez
Old 07-20-2002, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (mikesrex)

Please everyone... I'M NOT PLANNING ON RACING THE CAR.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think an auto to manual conversion is that expensive. I mean, you have to already buy an engine and you have to already by a tranny. There is already a whole cut in the floor for the shifter from your auto-shifter and adding an extra pedal can't be that hard (of course I am no mechanic). I think I paid like an extra $300 bucks for my conversion (auto '92 DX to manual with a '95 GSR swap). Of course those prices were a while ago, and that was out here on the East coast. But I just couldn't have fun with an auto; too boring on road trips, but thats just me . . . Goodluck with everything!
Old 07-20-2002, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (DC2_Jspec)

i think the b20 would be illegal as it is from what is known to the EPA as a truck. You cannot move a truck engine into a car as the emissions for cars is much tighter. Besides if you are just going to keep it a street machine then the LS would be the easier choice for a quick swap.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (C5_ALLMOTOR)

if you do it right, an automatic motor on nitrous can be pretty nice...say an automatic lsvtec on a 50 shot...
Has anyone every seen an auto ls/vtec. The only tranny that I think you can use is a JDM auto b16 tranny.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know. I'm not going to race it.
then why spend a god awful amount of money to build the engine or turbo?
just go buy a kia and leave it stock.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:48 PM

Please everyone... I'M NOT PLANNING ON RACING THE CAR.
Hey man I hope you're not planning on racing an AUTO.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another idea to throw into the mix:

instead of spending the time and money on a swap, why not build a simple turbo setup for your car to get the extra torque you want when driving around? it wouldn't be as fast as a car similar to yours with a full blown GSR changover with mods, but it may produce the results you want.

Old 07-20-2002, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (mikesrex)

I say go for it if it's what you want to do! if you've got an auto and like it then have fun doing whatever you want to with the car. I almost got one but was talked out of it by some of my friends, and I'm glad I was, but I've only driven an auto untill now so it was time for a change

if you want to be really unique and dont mind alot of complicated work try to design your own triptronics like system to fool the ECU into shifting your auto into whatever gear you want I was gonna do it but I ended up w/ a 5 speed
Old 07-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hybrid Idea. (Extent)

I say go for it if it's what you want to do! if you've got an auto and like it then have fun doing whatever you want to with the car. I almost got one but was talked out of it by some of my friends, and I'm glad I was, but I've only driven an auto untill now so it was time for a change

if you want to be really unique and dont mind alot of complicated work try to design your own triptronics like system to fool the ECU into shifting your auto into whatever gear you want I was gonna do it but I ended up w/ a 5 speed
Haha... Thanks. Anyway, I'll be weighing the pros and cons on this situation...