Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to legalize swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to legalize swap?

ok...tried searching, couldnt really find what I was looking for.

im a hybrid newb, so bare wit me...

i bought my car back from insurance, and im going to drop my old motor into another car/chassis. lets say the car im dropping the motor into has a clean title.

after I drop in the motor, what would i normally do next to 'legalize' it? do i have to report it? do i report to my insurance using the VIN of the motor or chassis? and what else?

thx
Old 08-02-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: how to legalize swap? (yh23)

Just use the VIN off of the car you are putting the motor in. No big sweat. No insurance ajent in the world is going to search the EXACT code off your swap motor against the VIN code of your car. TONS, and I mean TONS of Mustang guys buy 4cylinder cars, and drop 5.0s in them, while keeping the 4cyl. registration. This cuts down on insurance and tag cost SEVERELY.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: how to legalize swap? (CWestAccord)

ok, so just use the VIN of the chassis.

what about this...what if I buy a salvaged car, and drop my old motor into that salvaged car.

In my state, I need to have the state patrol inspect the salvaged car before the title can be legally registered again. Do you think they will research the VIN vs the engine??
Old 08-02-2005, 05:52 PM

doubt it. Salvaged cars are inspected for safety reasons, not usually emissions. as long as it's not some wild *** NSX motor in a CRX, or something, they really shouldn't care too much. Check with the state patrol office, first. Just to make sure.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM

good shiet!

thx!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:01 PM

you hit the nail on the head. nobody will ever find out about your swap unless you get in big trouble for racing, or you live in california(cuz of carb laws and emissions testing). me and all my friends that have swaps never reported the
engine change to insurance, mainly cuz its more expensive, but i've had my swap for over a year and my friends too and one of them even got his liscense suspended for tickets and wreckless driving and still nobody found out
Old 08-07-2005, 12:04 PM

if you have to have a salvage inspection just make sure the motor appears
as stock as possible (stock intake, header, valve cover, no bright crazy colors) until after the inspection, that way theres nothing eye catching that could make
the inspector think otherwise'
Old 08-07-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: how to legalize swap? (hondaxsimike)

you can paint the entire engine "Flaming Queer Yellow" or "HOK ***** Pink (real color, BTW)", and they wouldn't really care. it's about safety, more than anything. Like motor mounts, and all that good stuff. State patrol in Georgia has to look over any vehicle that has been rebuilt from a salvaged title, and there is a local bodyshop that sells alot of redone junkyard or wrecked/totalled cars. They do the sh*ttiest work I've ever seen, but DOT let's them sell most of them outright. I think someone may be giving free d*ckie rides, though.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:27 PM

so what about that new law in cali? What can happen if you did a swap? I heard you cant put a diff motor in your car
Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing that i have noticed is that in Cali you ahve to be inspected by BAR referee to have a legal engine swap. and unless teh bay area means some other bay than san francisco bay you have have to see the ref....
Old 08-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v4lu3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one thing that i have noticed is that in Cali you ahve to be inspected by BAR referee to have a legal engine swap. and unless teh bay area means some other bay than san francisco bay you have have to see the ref....</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep there is a ref in sandiego also (chula vista soutwesterncollege) you need all the smog stuff and it has to be from the same car same year or newer... so say u got a rex and want a b16 u ahve to get one out of a del sol w/obd1 and all the bs smog crap.. and of course it has to pass smog...thats what i know..tell me if i wrong tho

thats what the smog ref told me at least...
Old 08-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vw eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vw eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep there is a ref in sandiego also (chula vista soutwesterncollege) you need all the smog stuff and it has to be from the same car same year or newer... so say u got a rex and want a b16 u ahve to get one out of a del sol w/obd1 and all the bs smog crap.. and of course it has to pass smog...thats what i know..tell me if i wrong tho

thats what the smog ref told me at least...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo. I'll tell you you're not wrong. I hate the smog ref and he's had a very personal relationship with my b16 for the last year. He musta put that sniffer into her tailpipe at least 10 times. My poor baby got sodomized.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:36 AM

your gonna new to get it reffed.....you need the cat from the car and all the other smog **** need to be intact and funtional....you need to pass a visual and smog dyno....

i wouldnt report that to your insurance tho.....more money
Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to legalize swap? (SUSPETISE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SUSPETISE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your gonna new to get it reffed.....you need the cat from the car and all the other smog **** need to be intact and funtional....you need to pass a visual and smog dyno....

i wouldnt report that to your insurance tho.....more money</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use your stock cat...