Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Idle after B Series Swap (LS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle after B Series Swap (LS)

Hey guys,

So a quick run down of the basics. Car has an OBD2 LS Swap, its a 97 Civic DX HB, 5 speed

Having an issue with a consistent high idle (2-3k rpms) since doing my swap. I did a search and found others were having a similar issue so i started repeating the diagnostic steps they took. As of right now I have done the following:

Vacuum leak test including spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold to check for gasket related leaks.
removed and cleaned the IACV and replaced gasket.
Bled the coolant.
Adjusted the idle screw on TB (properly by shutting the car off, unplugging the iacv, starting the car, adjusting then shutting the car off and plugging the iacv back in)
Also have done an ECU reset after all this for ***** n giggles

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what worked for them? the car idled fine in the integra before it was pulled. The only thing I can think of is when we did the 3 to 2 wire mod for the iac if maybe we wired them backwards (would this even make sense)

I will say that the longer the car gets driven in a day the greatest the possibility it has to start acting normal and idling properly. Sometimes ill get in the car, itll idle right around 750rpms and be fine. Also noticing that while driving, putting the clutch in does not let the rpms drop, itll wait til it senses no movement from the VSS before itll idle down, and even then its still pretty high (around 1500rpms)

any ideas are much appreciated and if I wasnt clear on something please feel free to ask. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Idle after B Series Swap (LS)

bump anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda curious as to why you posted this in the hybrid section? But anywho...

Sounds like the (fitv) fast idle thermo valve is acting a little screwy, needs to be cleaned, or is on its last leg.

Check this out, helped me fix my idle problem....

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f55/...oblems-259965/
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt post it here, Ron (moderator) moved it here.

as far as the fitv its an LS, to my knowledge it does not have one.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicTT

as far as the fitv its an LS, to my knowledge it does not have one.
sorry dude but they do....
Name:  IMG00643.jpg
Views: 6750
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  IMG00646.jpg
Views: 4769
Size:  32.8 KB
Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k cept your wrong....you posted pictures of a gsr or b16....again ls's dont have them...here's pics of mine

Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, going to try replacing/adjusting the TPS and see if that fixes it...any ideas are welcome in the mean time
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The pics I posted is of a b18b1...as you can tell by the intake manifold & that line at the top of the valve cover, which doesn't look anything like a gsr or b16 mani....

Ever cross your mind you may have a different throttle body that doesn't use a fitv?
Maybe you need to do some homework. B18b1's come w/ a fitv from the factory.

Heres another pic of a b18b1 intake mani since im wrong....
Name:  567713006_tp.jpg
Views: 5539
Size:  41.0 KB
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

every bit of research ive done, including many threads on H-T points to them not having one, and when i walked outside and looked at my tb and SHOWED YOU that your advice does not apply to me you still turn around and troll my thread with irrelevant information to my problem? you clearly have nothing useful to add, so please move on
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Honda owns me

You didn't happen to swap the D-series TB onto the LS and not remember?

I've randomly grabbed a TB out of the garage and put a non-FITV TB on a mani that's supposed to have one. They fit, but they don't cover all of the vacuum ports which will cause it to idle to ~3000. I only mention it because I've done it.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the TB wasnt swapped. I have another LS TB sitting here on the table without a FITV as well.

I had change the TB gasket yesterday and got it to run a bit better. Also found one of the TB bolts is missing, which could be causing the vacuum leak and because it was on the underside of the throttle body it never got hit with the carb cleaner properly. Im going to pull it back off and check to verify what your saying to see if thats the case or not. thank you
Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

every bit of research ive done, including many threads on H-T points to them not having one, and when i walked outside and looked at my tb and SHOWED YOU that your advice does not apply to me you still turn around and troll my thread with irrelevant information to my problem? you clearly have nothing useful to add, so please move on
Nice attitude bud...If your are incorrect about something and someone wants to correct you that makes them a troll? I was trying to add something useful in my 1st post, but you dont seem to want to listen.

All the information I find, shows and says they have a fitv...dont know how capable you are on "research". I will be moving on sir b/c you are a......
Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the information I find, shows and says they have a fitv...dont know how capable you are on "research". I will be moving on sir b/c you are a......

Thank you for doing as i requested

Anyway, I doubled checked the gasket to verify its secure and no leaks now. I also added the missing screw to the TB which I had thought fixed the problem but after taking it for a ride tonight it did not.

I pulled it from a running driving LS with no idle issue, so I believe its related to the swap. as this problem only started once it was in the civic. Im just gonna start by replacing the IACV first then the TPS. and see what happens
Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Honda owns me

Try bleeding your coolant with the nose jacked up as high as possible. Usually an air bubble in the IACV shows up as idle surge, but you never know.

Also, have you tried adjusting the throttle cable? With the car off, hold the throttle plate at WOT and adjust the cable so it's tight at WOT. It should be a bit loose when the throttle plate is closed [off throttle].
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Was on the marketplace just now and came across this pic and I thought of you...sorry but couldn't resist posting it here. Notice something on the throttle body?
Name:  img2648sa.jpg
Views: 8009
Size:  115.7 KB
I was honestly trying to help you out, and initially had good intetions. Until I was called a troll for educating, and had nothing useful to add, like the useful link I posted in my op. You probably didnt even read it did you? That link will fix your idle problem if you go thru the troubleshooting. Cheers
Old 08-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude you missed the part where I SHOWED YOU my car does not have one, your a troll because after I showed you this your continuing to argue with me about Honda history. FITV cleaning or replacement doesnt not apply to me BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE ONE (see pictures above). Your link contains information about fixing the FITV, it is irrelevant to this issue. again see the picture above if you have any questions where i show you my TB does not have one. If you still dont understand I suggest you find something else to do with your time an accept it as a loss.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My b20v idled at like 2-3k. It was the wrong tbody gasket. Thats what im leaning towards being your problem. Possibly your throttle blade is hung open slightly?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replaced the TB gasket 2 days ago with no luck, throttle blade is completely closed. I went and bought another IACV and im going to test that on Sunday and see if that fixes it, if not, short of changing the TPS im stumped
Old 08-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Honda owns me

before you replace the IACV, check to see if it is causing your problem by unplugging it.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive unplugged it, when I do it drops my idle to around ~400-500 rpms which ive heard is normal. This makes me think it is the iac
Old 08-27-2012, 05:17 AM
Honda owns me

Good call, just wanted to make sure you didn't throw money out the window on something that won't fix your problem
Old 08-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya i appreciate that.

So i swapped 3 different IACs and none of them fixed it. Im gonna try to get to the lower intake manifold bolts and see if those are tight, Probably try replacing the TB just to see if by chance thats causing the issue then if Not maybe the IM gasket? Really just grabbing at straws here
Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright well just for info, obd2a or obd2b motors do not use FITV's. They rely on the IACV to correct idle.

Anyways. I've had a similar problem to this. I had my IACV and i think my IAT sensor clips mixed up. You were talking about a IACV 3 to 2 wire mod? You might even be using the wrong type of IACV? i know theres a couple different ones out there. Maybe your motor needs the 3 wire IACV to work properly. Check up on your wiring to see if its correct.
Just a couple of things to think of.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nick you solved my problem, THANK YOU

I feel stupid, had the IAT and IACV mixed up, as they are the same plug since i needed to do the 3 to 2 wire mod.. thanks again!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nick you solved my problem, THANK YOU

I feel stupid, had the IAT and IACV mixed up, as they are the same plug since i needed to do the 3 to 2 wire mod.. thanks again!
Lol no problem man. Don't worry i've had the problem for a while until i figured it out..

Quick Reply: High Idle after B Series Swap (LS)