Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! GSR SWAP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 HELP! GSR SWAP!

I am new to all this forum stuff so forgive me for asking something that I can imagine has been asked a million times. However, I can't find the info for my exact application. And what I do find is jumbled up and I can't make sense of it.
I have a 5 speed 95 civic dx sedan. I am doing my first swap soon. I already pulled the stock d15b7. That whole process was easy as pie. I can actually picture in my head where every wire, hose, and bracket goes right now. My problem is I don't know what I need for a gsr swap. The guy I am going to buy the motor from said "it just drops right in". I doubt that.
What I need is a list of EVERY single thing I will need.
I already know obd1 gsr with 5 speed tranny and obd1 gsr ecu.
Will I need new motor mounts? How about axles? I would think so. But idk.
And will it really drop right in and all the d series wires and hoses will just plug right in to the gsr? And how about the ecu? Will the gsr ecu plug right in where the d series ecu was? It all seems too simple. Please someone help me. I don't want to waste money or time. Thanks all.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELP! GSR SWAP!

Not sure of "everything" buy you need the ECU, Engine wire harness, mounts, axles, tranny.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine wire harness should come with the gsr right? The ones that are connected to the motor and plug into the car at the top left by the fuse box and top right by the brake master cylinder? I hope you're not talking about the ones that are connected to the car itself that go through the firewall.
And as far as axles go, any 95-01 axles from an integra will work? Same question for the motor mounts.
And lastly, what about shift linkage and shift rod? I was told that d series shift rod and linkage won't work with b series.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the engine harness, not the body harness.
Yes and yes. You may need a different rear mount as I am unfamiliar with that specific mount in a sedan. I am assuming it is the same. Try a 94-95 Del Sol VTEC rear mount from the dealership. They aren't too expensive.
Shift linkages will need to come from an Integra, as well as all of the radiator hoses.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in a 99 hatch I had to wire vtec, get a 99 si t bracket because the integra one pushed the engine an extra inch too far forward, 99 si shift linkage and any b series axle will work. ecu should plug right in, I have a chipped p28 with a gsr map and a obd conversion harness. I would reuse your old injectors if you had no problems with them just because you never know if the gsr injectors had problems. you'll be alright. btw, post in hybrid next time?

Posted from honda-tech forums Reader for Android
Old 04-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is were I learned to do mine!!!
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/%2A%2A%2Aokay-lets-cut-down-repeated-qs-about-certain-swaps-post-links-here%2A%2A%2A-650230/
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kayce
My problem is I don't know what I need for a gsr swap. The guy I am going to buy the motor from said "it just drops right in". I doubt that.
What I need is a list of EVERY single thing I will need.
I already know obd1 gsr with 5 speed tranny and obd1 gsr ecu.
Will I need new motor mounts? How about axles? I would think so. But idk.
And will it really drop right in and all the d series wires and hoses will just plug right in to the gsr? And how about the ecu? Will the gsr ecu plug right in where the d series ecu was? It all seems too simple. Please someone help me. I don't want to waste money or time. Thanks all.
Engine mounts may be reused if good condition-Drivers side can vary- There is a two and three bolt mount. I went with hasport!
B series shift linkage
B series axles
It is nice to have a gsr engine harness but not necessary(allows for more of a plug and play and less running wires!!). If you do buy a gsr engine harness get one for what ever obd your motor is. The injectors, alternator and distributor have different plugs between 0bd1 and 2. Yes Obd 2 harness will plug into the shock towers of your obd1 car!!!
Obd1 p72(gsr ecu) or a chipped p28 ecu
If you run the stock intake manifold, you will have more wires to pin. I only had 2 wires to repin and the rest was drop in, plug and play. I put a 98 gsr into my 94 vx.
Radiator hoses- Top one is a gsr hose and the bottom one is a del sol vtec hose if I remember correctly!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well first, I'll apologize for posting in the wrong place. But I really want to thank everyone for all the replies. You guys saved me!
I hope my first swap will be a success.