Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Crx whoes!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 07:19 PM
New User

Location: Witty Comment....., Stunning Response...., Follow Up Gag.....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Crx whoes!!

Ok I want to swap and engine into a 89 CRX si I need to know what to do I want to put about 250 to the ground is that possible??
I have no clue, but i will strip the car of everything
also where do i get the engines online and where are the bolt in kits
I looked at the b16a1 and I think i want to start there but how does the tranny hold up?? and what all is involved in the swap are there any boltinns available??
Also how much does a semi stripped CRX weigh i mean no stereo no interior no ac but not seats quite yet
I want to later turn it into a half street legal half SCCA race car, as well as killer autox car
Old 08-21-2001, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Crx whoes!! (BOO YEAH)

if you're talking autocross then why do you need 250 to the wheels? why don't you just do the b16a swap and then work on suspension. maybe do a few bolt ons and then you could be done. do some bigger brakes for stopping power and anything else that effects handling. if you have 250 to the wheels its either going to be a costly all motor setup or a turbo. either way its going to cost you. you could even do without the swap since its autocross, its all done by class anyway.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock cars are basically the best for autocrossing. Putting a B16A into it (there's no such thing as a B16A1, only a B16A, B16A2, and B16A3) will put you into a Modified class with all the other crazy lunatics. This is from what I've read and heard (heresay) so you might want to check the rulebook before trusting me on this one.

I don't think there's any problems with the transmissions... at least not as bad as with the Nissan SR20DEs, that's for sure.

When I stripped my car I believe it weighed about 2000lbs with both passenger seats in, full dash, no sound deadening, and no rear interior. No carpet either.
Old 08-22-2001, 08:46 AM
New User

Default Re: Help Crx whoes!! (raeneshadow)

the b16a1 is out of the 90-92 CRX Si-R that was only sold in japan it is a DOHC V-tech motor and is only 1500 on certain pages I just like the 160 starting point

[Modified by BOO YEAH, 10:20 AM 8/22/2001]
Old 08-22-2001, 09:22 AM
New User

I need to know what all it would involve to put a b16a into the car i have not been able to find a boltin kit is there one made, would I need a header?? Electronics?? how about transmission how would it hold up to that much power?? I don't just want to autox it that is only at first I want to use it in drag rns as well as later on turning it into a SCCA IT group race car
Old 08-22-2001, 09:23 AM
New User

these are the current specs https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=61995
Old 08-22-2001, 09:29 AM
New User

Go to www.hasport.com they have an EXCELLENT section on what is needed to do a b16 swap..... Or go to Raenshadows site....He did a GREAT section on doing a swap. Hasport has all the parts to basically swap right over.......

Hope this helps,
Old 08-22-2001, 09:39 AM
New User

Default Re: Help Crx whoes!! (91crxer)

thanks what do you think of the price on the car
Old 08-22-2001, 11:18 PM

I repeat: there IS no B16A1. It's simply known as the JDM B16A... good luck on the swap .
Old 08-23-2001, 11:11 AM
New User

Default Re: Help Crx whoes!! (raeneshadow)

my bad just though a professional web site was right

"B16A1/B17A

also read B16A powered CRX, by Eric Bauer

The B16A1 (160hp DOHC VTEC) from the JDM 90-91 Civic/CRX Si-Rs is being imported in small quantities. The B17A comes from the U.S. 92-93 Integra GS-R and the block is externally and internally identical to the B16A1 block. But they do not bolt in. The stock B16A powered CRX Si-R has many significant differences form the U.S. The most important thing to note, is that the driver's side motor mount is NOT in the same location as the U.S. Civic/CRX.

As you can see above, the Si-R B16A driver's side mount is closer to the front of the car. It is also wider, and beefier than the U.S. mount. The B-series mount is designed for a stronger motor, and I suspect that Honda must have put it in that location for a reason.

The other differences are that the passenger side mount, and the front and rear cross members are different. You can import the crossmembers, but the driver's side and pasenger's side mounts would have to be removed and new fabricated mounts welded in. So, contrary to what you may have heard, there is currently NO WAY to mount a B-seies motor in the same location as the factory, without a bolt in mount kit or welding in new mounts.

Keep in mind, that all B-series motor swaps that use the US drivers side mount will position the motor closer to the firewall than Honda intended.

The B16A1 is almost identical to the 160hp U.S. Del Sol VTEC (B16A2). The Del Sol motor does NOT bolt in either. Since the D-series transmissions are not compatible with the B-series motors, you should purchase the Y1 transmission along with the motor. If you can, buy the motor and transmission as a package, not separately. Some of the Y1s have the highly desirable factory LSD. LSD should be imprinted on the transmission casing, so search carefully. If a Y1 is not available, a 90-93 Integra LS transmission will work, but the gear ratios are not designed for the high rpm VTEC engine and will hurt acceleration. With either tranmission you will need to modify the shift linkage to fit. A few people have managed to get Si-R shift linkages from Japan and these work perfectly.

For engine control, you have three choices. Use a stock Si-R ecu, which requires some wiring changes. Use the stock Si ecu, reprogrammed for a higher red limit and the use a external rpm switch for VTEC activation. Or use a Del Sol VTEC engine harness and rewire the engine compartment and dash to use the Del Sol VTEC ecu. With either the Si-R or Del Sol ecu, note that there is a speed sensor in the transmission that tells the ecu that it is okay to activate the VTEC. If it doesn't see that signal, you get no VTEC and a slow motor. I am sure you can fool it if you know what you are doing. The Del Sol VTEC service manual should be able to guide you through the wiring. This can be the hardest wiring install, since you are combining the parts from three different cars (U.S. Civic, JDM/U.K. Civic, and Del Sol). "

Note where it says b16a1
but if you don't believe me check the site

http://www.hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/4gtech.html#B16A1
Old 08-23-2001, 12:18 PM

Not to rag on you, but look at the engine blockstamp...

Mine reads "B16A".

The USDM ones read "B16A2" or "B16A3". I trust the blockstamp over the websites .

Good thing you've found Mr. Bauer's resource... I basically installed my engine using his guidelines.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:44 AM
New User

if the motor is from JDM, then it would simply state b16a.
we used to have a bunch of first gen JDM b16a here in ABCD and none of them has any number in front of the "a". tha first gen JDM b16a came on the second gen CRX and second gen integra.
no b16a will bolt in to ur USA CRX without either a motor mount kit or cutting and welding.