Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in..

Well here is my story.. As most of you know I have a 98 JDM Type S spec engine with LSD tranny and some other goodies that I was supposedly happly swapping into my Civic. Well after some further research something is terribly wrong. I am using the HCP mounkit that I bought from one of the distributors however my engine and axle alignment is totally fucked up, to the point that the driver's side axle is rubbing against the strut fork..

Please anyone have any ideas.. I am going to call HCP Engineering directly tomorrow and see what is up??

As you can see in the pics and like some of you noticed before the engine is tilted and at the wrong angle.. The dirvers side is too far forward and the intake pleneum is just about touching all the brake lines and firewall.. All mounts were used as advised however something is diffenately wrong..

I realize that pic might be a little hard to see so I am going to take some more right now and post them up in a few minutes..

[Modified by Jason kiDD, 7:09 PM 10/24/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (Jason kiDD)

when looking at the engine from the top, is the engine not parallel with the firewall?

It looks like that's one of the things going on from what I can tell...if so

Was your car ever in a wreck?
Old 10-24-2002, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (hot_EG)

hmmm. I don't think H22A-CX had that problem when he installed his.

as for me, 0 probs, but i don't have hcp's
Old 10-24-2002, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (hot_EG)

Well I did a carfax on the car a while back and it said that it had one minor front
fender bender but other than that nothig to speak of. My uncle suggested the same thing that I should get the body checked out and ****.. I guess I will have to do that as well..

However I still think there was something wrong with my back mount.. In order to even have the tranny bracket touch it we had to step on the engine and tilt it back real bad for it to fit.. And even then it was off by alot.. We ended up mounting the mount onto the bracket first then bolting it on the crossmember last because it wouldn't go on any other way...

And here are some more pics..

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291206393
Old 10-24-2002, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (poison)

Yeah I remember that is why I didnt really call you on it or anything because your mountkit is setup differently.. Just wanted to know if anyone else had issues with the back mount not lining up nor reaching the tranny bracket..
Old 10-24-2002, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (Jason kiDD)

I am beginning to wonder if its because I have a JDM engine and the tranny bracket that is on the engine might be somehow reverse??!??

(Or am I just reaching here??)
Old 10-24-2002, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am beginning to wonder if its because I have a JDM engine and the tranny bracket that is on the engine might be somehow reverse??!??

(Or am I just reaching here??)
well almost everybody else that swaps h22's uses JDM's...so I think you're reaching
Old 10-24-2002, 04:12 PM

hmm. damn.
stumpted, all of my mounts lined up perfectly.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (poison)

Who else here has a 97+ JDM swap into their eg civic using the HCP mountkit??

And the reason why I am asking is because the rear tranny mount wasnt lining up with the engine bracket at all. I actually had to have one of my big friends stand up on the engine just to get close and still that wasnt enough. Either the bracket was too high and over to far too the right or the mount is too low and too far to the left..

We finally got it on by attaching the mount to the bracket first then stepping on the engine leaning it backwards enough to catch the front bolt then using longer studs to catch the back.. Obviously this isnt the right way it was to be done because the engine is leaning too far back and at a slight tilt..
Old 10-24-2002, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you know your engine is crooked... has the car been in any accidents???
Old 10-24-2002, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (XtraFastCRX)

Read the posts above.. And yes the car has been in one minor fender bender in the front, however I think the problem is the either the tranny mount our my tranny bracket..

I will still, however have the car checked out at a body shop as well just to be sure.

And common I know there are more h22/eg's out there?? I will see what the replies are tomorrow..

[Modified by Jason kiDD, 12:10 AM 10/25/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (XtraFastCRX)

your drivers site tower.. is bent badly!!!! look at your strut tower from the drivers side and compare to the passenger.. even the beam where the fender hooks on is severely kinked... that`s not a fender bender .. that`s like a total write-off..

you can really tell how the strut tower is crocked...

your body needs to be straight and pulled ...

it`s not the motor or the mounts... your shock tower is very bad...

Old 10-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (HotWheelz-turboh22dx)

your drivers site tower.. is bent badly!!!! look at your strut tower from the drivers side and compare to the passenger.. even the beam where the fender hooks on is severely kinked... that`s not a fender bender .. that`s like a total write-off..

you can really tell how the strut tower is crocked...

your body needs to be straight and pulled ...

it`s not the motor or the mounts... your shock tower is very bad...
Oh wow...yeah it is.

Do I see new caulking for the seam welds? That entire area, shock tower, and then between the shock tower and the driver mount looks really unnatural.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (HotWheelz-turboh22dx)

I know its kinda hard to see since you cant zoom in on these pics and yes I will have the car checked out just to be sure to see if there is an alignment problem. However I assure you at most the radiator support is the only thing that was damaged.. Most hondas are made to have crumple zones so if and when the car was hit from the front it would cause the radiator support to bend in.. To shift the shock tower the car would have had to be in a more serious accident..

But dont get me wrong.. The rear mount is severly off and even if the body was contorted it wouldnt cause the bracket to mount connection to be like 5 inches off in height.. So even if the drivers side was somehow bashed in and I had to pull it out.. It would move that side of the engine even further out of spec..

And hot_eg that is just dirt..

[Modified by Jason kiDD, 12:25 AM 10/25/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 08:35 PM

Just got an email back from HCP here is what they say..

"hi jason, i think i know what the problem is. you're using the jdm type s rear L-shaped bracket that came wiht the engine right? well, for the 92-95 civic kit you have to use the L-bracket from a 92-96 prelude. the 97 up bracket is shorter that's why its pulling the motor back toward the firewall. once you change out the rear bracket the motor should sit just fine. i hope this helps and let me know if there's any more questions.

hcp
"

I knew something was wrong..
Old 10-24-2002, 08:36 PM

lol Anyone have a bracket they want to sell me??.. I swear this engine is going to kill me one way or the other...

[Modified by Jason kiDD, 12:36 AM 10/25/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 11:03 PM

That's good to hear. Be sure to post about this if that fixes it..
Old 10-25-2002, 05:11 AM

Anymore tranny bracket offers that people want to give.. I would be glad to trade with anyone that has a lude going into an accord because the bracket doesnt matter in that case..
Old 10-25-2002, 05:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I hope you find it man... Civic type-s sound way cool...

Did you check wirth a dealer? I think it should cost $60 new.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (2 B 4GO10)

Yeah they cost about that, but its just a bracket so I dont need to get a new one if I dont have to, but if worse comes to worse then I will just have to shell out the dollars for it.. Also if anyone has an extra Speed sensor and/or Fan Coolant switch that screws into the block let me know..

After all that I should be finally done and working cleanly..
Old 10-25-2002, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, yu shoulda resprayed that engine bay before you dropped in the H22a, hah.

Suprdave
Old 10-25-2002, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (Suprdave)

Yeah yeah yeah, I know its a (little?) dirty but hey it was time critical and I didnt have time to spray it nor clean it before putting the engine in.. This happens when you dont have access to a shop and ****.. But I dont mind, this car was never meant to be comfortable nor showy so it will say like that till next year when it gets repainted..

However, I dare you to rev on me at a stoplight.. hehe
Old 10-25-2002, 08:26 AM

The proper intermediate shaft was used. The prelude one has a male end while the Accord one uses a female end.. Its fairly easy to tell them apart, and I already got my answer from HCP about the mount alignment..

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, always sonething huh?

best of luck man,
Old 10-25-2002, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in.. (owen_the_soyboy)

Yeah tell me about it.. And thanks alot.. I just ordered all the parts needed so soon I should be back to normal..

Quick Reply: Having serious problems with HCP mounkit...!! h22/eg's check in..