Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h2b in a 1st gen crx

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h2b in a 1st gen crx

simple question - does anyone make a kit?

i know anything is possible when you go custom, but was curious if there is a kit for this slightly silly hybrid.

if it's not possible, i'd assume that i could still use b gearbox mounts, just need a custom engine mount?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h2b in a 1st gen crx (twilightprotege)

Ever see a B-series in one of those? They barely fit.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM

that's almost the point - it's stupid! hehe

can anyone help?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h2b in a 1st gen crx (Bserious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bserious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ever see a B-series in one of those? They barely fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2, tiny engine bay.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twilightprotege &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's almost the point - it's stupid! hehe

can anyone help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nobody makes the kit.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 PM

i thought there would be no kit (no suprise really).

so i guess part 2 of the stupid idea is the 2 gearbox mounts. can i use the b-series gearbox mounts (as they are made and easily available) and just get a custom engine mount? this would allow me to use b-series axles and all the other goodies that will obviously save me a lot of hassles in the long run.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (twilightprotege)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twilightprotege &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought there would be no kit (no suprise really).

so i guess part 2 of the stupid idea is the 2 gearbox mounts. can i use the b-series gearbox mounts (as they are made and easily available) and just get a custom engine mount? this would allow me to use b-series axles and all the other goodies that will obviously save me a lot of hassles in the long run.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I highly doubt you could since that would position the motor to far over on the drivers side creating major clearance problems.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 PM

well 1 thing that's on my side with that is that i'm in australia so i sit on the right hand side of the car (will help with weight equalisation - i'm 250lbs), and it's going to be a dedicated drag car (i'm actually using an F20B, methanol, garrett GT40 turbo). i'm hoping I can retain full chassis though.

how much wider is the H22A compared to the b's? i dont want a/c, p/s. just alternator and oil pump for a dry sump setup
Old 10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (twilightprotege)

Someone recently inquired about putting an H2B setup in a classic Mini. I've seen a couple B16 powered Mini's utlizing the aftermarket front members they have available for them. I'll tell you the same thing I told him... mach it up. Take a B tranny, an H motor, some half inch strips of metal, align dead center of the crankshaft with the tranny input shaft, and fit her in.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bserious)

There is more room in there then people think.

My old car with a b motor. 85 crx

It might be feasible, look how much room between the framerail and waterpump. The framerail on those chassis are so thin (top to bottom) it just might work. The only mount that would have to fabbed up would be the driverside, since they already make b-series mounts for these chassis.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM

yeah that's what i was hoping sixty. do everything b-series except for the left side engine mount. would make life easy for me.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIXTY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is more room in there then people think.

My old car with a b motor. 85 crx

It might be feasible, look how much room between the framerail and waterpump. The framerail on those chassis are so thin (top to bottom) it just might work. The only mount that would have to fabbed up would be the driverside, since they already make b-series mounts for these chassis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know it is possible Steve. Remember that same car in your pic now has complete H with H trans in it and It actually fits quite well in there. you've seen it. and especially since the OP is building a drag car. there shouldn't be too much of a problem putting an H2B in there. there used to be an 87 crx back in maybe 2000 or 2001 that had an H with H trans that was a daily driver in Socal...
Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (h22crxpwr)

I don't think anyone said it won't fit. The OP was trying to use a B tranny mount which would

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
position the motor to far over on the drivers side creating major clearance problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You know it is possible Steve. Remember that same car in your pic now has complete H with H trans in it and It actually fits quite well in there. you've seen it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That car will never die
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (skunked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I highly doubt you could since that would position the motor to far over on the drivers side creating major clearance problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think it would fit an H2B with less clearance issues than an 88-91 crx. as the H we have in there now has LOTS of clearance for the crank pulley and other pulleys, in fact it has more room under the framerail than my 89 crx has with my H!! and with Steve's car the clearance problems seem to be with the balance shaft gears, and the crank pulley. in the 87 i can run the complete uncut crank pulley without even making it a single row. and hell yeah that car will never die!!! DIRTY coming soon to a track in Socal!!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think anyone said it won't fit. The OP was trying to use a B tranny mount which would position the motor to far over on the drivers side creating major clearance problems.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i actually am pretty sure that it could be easier than H2B in a 88-91 crx. as there are a lot of clearance issues with the newer crx framerail. not sure if you have done it in an 88-91 crx but if you have then you know where the clearance issues are. and with the 1st gen crx the frame rail is high and very narrow unlike the 88-91 frame rail on the drivers side. the clearance for the pulley and balance shaft gears is wide open on the 1st gen crx. to the OP i think the only thing you would have to make with the QSD kit is the bracket that bolts to the drivers side mount, then use a B series mount kit. i'm pretty sure it would work.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 AM

I am going to try to put a jdm h22 in my 89 crx but i was going to just try and use an h23 tranny. Would this way be easier and cheaper or would it be easier to do an h2b. I have a b16 in there now but im going to trade it for a rebuilt h22 without a tranny, but my buddy has an h23 tranny that he will sell to me for 50 bucks. Is this whole swap worth it or should i just stay with the b16.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (davesrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davesrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to try to put a jdm h22 in my 89 crx but i was going to just try and use an h23 tranny. Would this way be easier and cheaper or would it be easier to do an h2b. I have a b16 in there now but im going to trade it for a rebuilt h22 without a tranny, but my buddy has an h23 tranny that he will sell to me for 50 bucks. Is this whole swap worth it or should i just stay with the b16.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in my opinion since you have the B series mounts, axles, and trans already you should buy the QSD H2b kit and go H2B, just a warning though its not the easiest and you have to remove some pulleys and gears in the balance shaft area and crank pulley region. if you know what you are doing then its not impossible but not as easy as just dropping the motor in, however there are lots of H2B threads, if you do go H2B i recommend taking a hammer to the frame rail where crank pulley sits as the clearance there is bad and if you don't bash it enough its HARD to get the alt belt on (have to drop down the motor to get it on!) . there is more than that to this swap but i don't feel like typing a book right now and this isnt a how-to thread. the H2b is great and SIXTY who posted earlier ran 12.3 with a stock H2B in a dx full interior crx. its worth it, i wouldnt go with the H22 with H23 trans, Even more work and the H2B will be much faster. especially since you already have all the B series parts. you just need the QSD adapter kit.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i actually am pretty sure that it could be easier than H2B in a 88-91 crx. as there are a lot of clearance issues with the newer crx framerail. not sure if you have done it in an 88-91 crx but if you have then you know where the clearance issues are. and with the 1st gen crx the frame rail is high and very narrow unlike the 88-91 frame rail on the drivers side. the clearance for the pulley and balance shaft gears is wide open on the 1st gen crx. to the OP i think the only thing you would have to make with the QSD kit is the bracket that bolts to the drivers side mount, then use a B series mount kit. i'm pretty sure it would work.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

IDK, more room than an EG, DC and EK? I highly doubt it.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IDK, more room than an EG, DC and EK? I highly doubt it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didn't say EG, DC, OR EK, i said 88-91 CRX....... big difference. do you have a 1st gen crx??? SIXTY ran a B series with no clearance issues for years. we have that car now and it has an H with a LOT of clearance on the drivers side. i'm just saying it shouldnt be too much of a problem to go H2B in a 1st gen, engine bay looks small but the framerail side actually has a lot of clearance due to the design.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didn't say EG, DC, OR EK, i said 88-91 CRX....... big difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not what I'm saying.

But your implying that the 1st gen CRX must have more room than the chassis's I listed since they all require modifications to the motor and or frame rail to make the H2B work with B series aftermarket mounts. But the smallest engine compartment (ist gen crx) is not going to have these problems right?

to the OP i think the only thing you would have to make with the QSD kit is the bracket that bolts to the drivers side mount, then use a B series mount kit. i'm pretty sure it would work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And this still does not address other issues such as hood, Intake Manifold and Exhaust manifold clearance.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's not what I'm saying.

so the 1st gen CRX must have more room than the chassis's I listed since they all require modifications to the motor and or frame rail to make the H2B work with B series aftermarket mounts. Right?

And this still does not address other issues such as hood, Intake Manifold and Exhaust manifold clearance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When did we start talking about DC's? it seems to have more room than a 88-91 crx. you were just stating that it was too small, and wouldnt fit, I provided factual information that says it will fit.
the frame rail is different, you have to see it. and yes the EG needs mods, and the 1st gen probably does too, i'm just saying that it probably will work in the 1st gen, ALL H2B's need mods!!!!! and the hood clearance issue. thats an issue on all chassis!!!! you space the hood, or if need be cut a hole!! whatever. as for exhaust manifold clearance, the OP is going drag car anyway, cut whats in the way. and you don't even need an aftermarket crossmember for the 1st gen!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When did we start talking about DC's? it seems to have more room than a 88-91 crx. you were just stating that it was too small, and wouldnt fit, I provided factual information that says it will fit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said it wouldn't fit in the 1st gen read again.

If I even ever thought about using a this chassis the ideal way is to center the swap in the engine bay, custom mounts and axles.

And I know what clearancing is required in an EG, DC, DA, EK and that was my point. This isn't my first rodeo jack

Old 10-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never said it wouldn't fit in the 1st gen read again.

If I even ever thought about using a this chassis the ideal way is to center the swap in the engine bay, custom mounts and axles.

And I know what clearancing is required in an EG, DC, DA, EK and that was my point. This isn't my first rodeo jack

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know you have the H2B in a DC, have you ever done it in a crx? VERY little clearance on the drivers side framerail but it works... and the 1st gen has even more clearance on that side. why would you need custom mounts? the 88-91 crx works with B series drop in mounts? and so does the EG? why customize something that doesnt need to be? thats just like saying oh the ideal way to put it in an EG is level so it isnt tilted forward and you don't have to have a modified header & on and on...... it works with factory parts. why do something custom when you don't need to? b series drop in kit for 1st gen, qsd kit, make a mount for the drivers side
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever.. you have your opinion and i have mine which is based on seeing it 1st hand in a 87 crx. i'll leave it at that.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM

ok thanks
i think i definetely will go h2b if i do it. I was researching it and its gonna be costly but it sounds like it will definetely be worth it.

Modified by davesrex at 2:34 PM 10/4/2007

Quick Reply: h2b in a 1st gen crx