Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?!

HELP!! My car starts/runs great, but at 2K, it acts like the rev limiter is kickin in. It won't go any higher. Anyone got any ideas? I checked the distrib wiring VIA that H22 won't start post.. It all checks OK. HELP?! I'm gettin frustrated here. She starts beautifully and seems to idle well, but it won't rev any higher than ~2K. It sounds EXACTLY like rev limiter?! What's goin on? What tells the ECM that the revs are too high? Oh, and CEL doesn't work either. I disconnected my TPS and it never kicked on.. How do you troubleshoot the CEL?!?! PLEASE HELP! I WANT TO DRIVE THIS SOO BAD!?!
Old 11-18-2002, 06:06 PM

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (EK22Tim)

What adapter harness/ or ecu are you running? If you have an adapter harness that has no cel then that would explain why you can check the code. Also, who did your wiring harness? aare you sure you didnt mix up the IAT and IACV wires? that will give you all kinds of problems....
Old 11-18-2002, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (cornholio)

Hmm, good point. Iforgot to include all those goodies. OK here goes: I have a 96 Civic harness, running an OBD1 P13 ECU, with adapter made by Blown90Hatch. I did the harness myself, and it all SEEMS to be there, and hooked up OK, but I guess I should check those two, IACV and IAT. I'll verify those tomorrow.. Any other suggestions? So, I will NEVER see a CEL with my adapter? I thought it worked through the adapter?? Good advice, thanks! Do you have the wiring info for these two? wiring color codes n such? thanks bro!

[Modified by EK22Tim, 4:30 AM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (EK22Tim)

Damn....this sounds really familliar.....

When I first got my swap in it did the same thing. But considering that you are running an OBDI ecu....I am not sure what the p13 looks for. But.....On my car I had the Oxygen sensor & crank sensor wire backwards (there the same color) [white/red].....Also veryfy that the voltage through your TPS is correct

Does it seems like it does it after it warms up?

And does it seem to only get louder/harsher when you press the gas down more?

Mark

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 4:16 AM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-18-2002, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (SlvrEj6Dx)

Yeah, louder and harsher when I give it more gas, but still the same limit. I haven't let it warm up completely, so I couldnt' tell ya on that one. My battery light comes on too, but my friends say that since the batt was low when we started it, it would come on, since it's not recharging totally yet.. I donno, I say there's something wrong with the system, but what do I know? haha
cool, anything else to check? thanks!!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*up. please have a look guys. I need this soon..
Old 11-19-2002, 07:42 AM

you should really try and get in touch with eiterh POISON or JDMDXTURD both could help you out alot with your prob.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:49 AM

well duh, if your batt light is on, then your not charging, that is your first major problem. figure out why your not charging. I didnt say that adapter harnesses dont use cel, im just asking if the guy who made your leaves it out to hide code he might have...... check a13 on the ecu to see if its hooked up trace it back into the car side and see if it is hoojked up to your car and all.....
Old 11-19-2002, 08:52 AM
New User

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (cornholio)

is this an OBD I or OBD II motor? there was a change in the location of the TDC and CKP sensors from the distributor to the crank... if you're not wired properly, you'll result in "limp home mode", which reduces your revs to 2000~3000 rpm
Old 11-19-2002, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (drift)

thanks hibbs

mitsuman! i'm glad u got your car running finally!

first of all, are you sayin that the CEL is not working or you are throwing no codes?

Rev limiter when the engine is cold is at 5500, but still shouldn't throw it that low, so there is DEFINITEly a code because your ecu is in limp mode which puts a rev limitor at 2000, as well as runs very rich fuel and retards the timing all the way..

when you take it for a drive, does it bog?

Make sure your map sensor is hooked up properly, as well as giving the MAP sensor enough throttle vacuum (making sure no gasket maker ****, or anything is blocking the map sensor, even the slightest).

Also, make sure your TPS and MAP sensor harnesses are not backwards, they are both exactly the same harness and can be easily switched.

I had the exact problem, but turned out that my stock h22 map sensor was bad, and I pulled my civic map sensor off and put it with the h22 and works beautifully now.

----------------------------------

So, first of all -> If your CEL is not working, get that working, that is the #1 problem fixer is to eliminate codes from your ECU.

Switch TPS and MAP harnesses due to them being exactly the same and easily switched

Make sure your MAP sensor is hooked up PERFECTLY and having exactly the vacuum it needs -- sometimes, your ECU will not throw a code and the engine will run like **** just because the MAP sensor is pissed off and doesn't have the vacuum it needs

If all else fails, switch the MAP sensors from any motor -- they are universal. Hook up your vacuum lines to it. MAP sensors are very fragile.

If you can, also. post pictures of your map sensor area. that will help as well.

good luck, keep this thread updated
Old 11-19-2002, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (poison)

COOl. you guys are great. First things first.. get the charging system and CEL working. ok, another dumb question: How can I check codes? How do I get my codes with my OBD2 car and OBD1 motor. It's got those sensors inside the distributor, though. All 7 ( I think) wires are there for that stuff. There are no extra sensors on the motor I'm leaving out, at least that I can see.. I'm not sure if it was OBD1 or 2 motor. . It's a '95 motor, I got an OBD1 ECU with it, it's internal coil.. that's pretty much all I know about it.. Any other thoughts guys??

update on the MAP sensor idea.. I bought a map sensor from a H-T member. It was a lude one. BUT it was a USDM lude one, the kind that bolt directly to the top of the throttle body? I had to just use a vacuum line and hook it to the vacuum nipple on the sensor, and plug it in and zip tie it out of the way.. hmmmm....

[Modified by EK22Tim, 8:33 PM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 11:21 AM

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (poison)

Man sounds like you have a problem there bro. A very odd one at that. Only thing i would do is go over every wire in the harness to make sure its all wired correctly. Focus on the dist wiring and the cam timing. Also check the knock sensor. Ive found that on some cars if the knock is wired improperly it will throw and early rev limiter. I guess ive been lucky on mine. The only cell i have is for a bad o2 sensor and i still havent gotten a new one yet. Also like everyone else said double check that map sensor and the tps. Its alot easier to help someone out with this in person, so just have a couple friends come over and check everything out. Goodluck.. Keep us posted
Old 11-19-2002, 06:12 PM
New User

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (jDmDxTuRd)

did yo wire up the resistor box? or get a injector backwards? mine did this when i had 2 injecotrs mixed up.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:08 PM

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?!

any updates yet
Old 11-20-2002, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did my install over a year ago, and the only problem i had other than the EGR CEL was i was missing my map sensor. i NEVER hooked up an injector box. never knew how. just make sure you have the crank sensor right and the TPS. mine went bad, got a new one all fine now. when mine went the car wouldn't go over 6k, or so. HTH
Old 11-20-2002, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (cccya)

Cool, all very good info guys. Hey, does the ECU casing itself have to be grounded? It's not bolted in place, it's just sitting on my carpet at the moment... Could that be the issue?? No updates yet. I probably won't get another chance to look at it in depth until friday, so any other thoughts/suggestions for me to work with then would be GREAT. Keep 'em comin.
It's probably sometihng stupid, but I can't figure out why the CEL doesn't come on, and also why the charging system doesn't work. it's gotta be just a bad ground or something.... geex. . Oh, how can I check codes with my setup? I'm still pretty unclear on that. The ECU must be trying to tell me something, but I can't tell what it is. thanks!
Old 11-20-2002, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Up. I'm actually going out for a bit tonight, and will chase down some of those sensors, look at the MAP, ground the engine better, and ground the ECM casing. Anything else?
Old 11-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, how's that bottom-bottom end torque?

lol sorry, I had to. Have fun with your beast of a Honda motor!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (JustChou)

if you are using the dx harness off the ek thats y its doing that. be better off with a ex wire harness. i used a dx harness for my swap and didn't rev past 3 then when i change out the wire harness to an ex. works perfect.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?! (makross)

**UPDATE**
I have a problem... I remember a while back suggesting I had a 99-00 dash harness, therefore I'd need a 99-00 engine harness.. Well, I think I do. I have an extra "A" ECU plug, and upon consulting the Helm's, it's an A plug for a 99-00 car. It comes out of the dash. I jumpered a wire from A18 on my ECU (the CEL) to the A18 on that mystery harness and GUESS WHAT?!? THE LIGHT CAME ON?! Ok, so, how can I know what I need to merge to my new plugs and what is just extra slack?! GEEX I DIDN;T SIGN UP FOR THIS?! Do your CEL's come on when you turn the ignition to the ON position? Is that normal? I don't know.. Mine does. I couldn't start it last night, due to a dead battery AGAIN.

[Modified by EK22Tim, 1:56 PM 11/21/2002]
Old 11-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Help?!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:18 AM

I would go get a 96-98 dash harness. Since u have the 99 its not relaying back to the 96-98 computer harness the info it needs to. (They are wired differently) So go grab urself a 96-98 dash harness and see what happens..
Old 11-21-2002, 12:29 PM

**UPDATE**
I have a problem... I remember a while back suggesting I had a 99-00 dash harness, therefore I'd need a 99-00 engine harness.. Well, I think I do. I have an extra "A" ECU plug, and upon consulting the Helm's, it's an A plug for a 99-00 car. It comes out of the dash. I jumpered a wire from A18 on my ECU (the CEL) to the A18 on that mystery harness and GUESS WHAT?!? THE LIGHT CAME ON?! Ok, so, how can I know what I need to merge to my new plugs and what is just extra slack?! GEEX I DIDN;T SIGN UP FOR THIS?! Do your CEL's come on when you turn the ignition to the ON position? Is that normal? I don't know.. Mine does. I couldn't start it last night, due to a dead battery AGAIN.
Yes, the CEL comes on then goes off when you turn on your car.

One other thing you can do is grab a test light, ground the test light to the chassis, stick the test light in A18, you are going to want to grab a paper clip. Bend it into a
"U" shape.

then under the dash there is going to be a big green connector with 2 harnesses....one of them has 2 wires in it and the other has 3.

Stick the U shape paperclip jumper into the harness that has 2 pins on it, then turn your car on the ON position (don't turn on the car) and watch exactly how many times the test light blinks...

If you have 2 long flashes, then 2 short......the code is 22. If you have 5 short flashes, the code is 5.

We need to get the codes before anything mainly, and you need to get your dash up and working right too

Let us know ASAP
Old 11-22-2002, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I will be working on it a lot otnight. I will try and get the codes she's throwin.
As for the 96 Civic dash wiring harness, that sux. I don't know if I Can do that. you see, I really like the 99-00 HVAC ***** instead of the sliders.. I guess I could give them up for a WORKING car, right? Well, I'm going to try and work through the issues before I do that. maybe there are only a few wires that need attention. I just don't know.. it NEVER ENDS with me.. I just can't do anything the EASY way.
Oh well, when it runs, and runs WELL, i will be a happy man.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I pulled the dashboard off last night. You have to do that to change the dash wiring harness. I need a 96 dash harness now. WHAT THE HECK. Yeah, that green plug that goes to the ECM was totally different than the one that was in the car. They were the same plug, just pinned completely different. My next question is: Can I keep my 99-00 heater controls with my car? I really like the **** controls rather than the sliders, for some reason. Call me crazy, but I really like 'em. Can I splice the controls together to work properly? Seems like I Can? Also, do I need ALL the underdash wiring? or can I just get the main one and the one that goes to the gauge pod?? Please help.. I'm getting lost here.

Quick Reply: H22EK runs, but won't rev past 2k? CALLING ALL WIRING/H22 GURUS! PLEASE HELP?!