Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs?

Just as the topic applies. I am trying to separate rumors and myths from truth and facts.

We've all heard how H22's into EG and EK's (to a lesser extent) ruin handling, provoke understeer, break axles, coss loss of traction, blah blah blah. This is usually from someone who knows of a person's mother's uncle's neighbor's son with one. But, when I see posts of H22 owners they usually have nothing but praise for the motor.

So, what I am looking for is people who have or had the swap in their EG or EK, and any reasons why they disliked it. And for all you guys who have them and love it, go ahead and post your thoughts too.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:31 AM

Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (RuffRhyno)

its great
just make sure u go with the right setup.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

most of the people who talk sheez about h22 dont even have one or know anybody who has one. It's a urban myth that h22's cant handle blah,blah,blah.....Anyways just make sure you do it right and build your setup right. Sway bars will help the handling and make sure you have a good set of brakes , cuz right now I have my oem brakes& pads and they are not cutting it , but no big surprise there. The motor is strong and pulls real hard , The dyno #'s speak for themselves ,and You should Be able to run high 13's off the jump.... I'm happy i went with the h22 , but I'm still working out the bugs with my new setup......
Old 10-11-2003, 10:35 AM

Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (93hatched_projekt)

you have to understand, there are gonna be problems with this setup. whatever it may be. i personally love mine. even though i had some axle issues,but i realize that the motor doesnt belong in there. sure it can be a daily driver and it takes alot of work and $'s to make it happen. this is the trade off for a for what you get. im not gonna debate.b18c5 is nice as well if you dont want to deal with these problems. but i chose the h22 only becuase i got a geat deal and i enjoy solving any problems that occur.in the end do what YOU want to do. do your research and you will be fine.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (hondaeg5)

Ok.. before i was like u guys.. curious about a bad rap....

well i've been there and now own one... one of the fast ones (HAHAHAH)

and well ti's like this.. if you are too tight to do it right don't because you'll ruin the fun... do it well and it's cool....

if you thnk under/over steer is bad... i'll get my buddies modified r with Zeal suspension and his sticky rotas in a traffic circule at 3 times the speed and take it on film when you see his back starting to give and my camera hasn't shifted you'll understand...

for brakes though i recommend a bit bigger but same as in B series. (common sense)

only regret, not doing it sooner...

worse thing i regret but you get used to it.. is vibration but you get used it.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (HotWheelz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HotWheelz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok.. before i was like u guys.. curious about a bad rap....

well i've been there and now own one... one of the fast ones (HAHAHAH)

and well ti's like this.. if you are too tight to do it right don't because you'll ruin the fun... do it well and it's cool....

if you thnk under/over steer is bad... i'll get my buddies modified r with Zeal suspension and his sticky rotas in a traffic circule at 3 times the speed and take it on film when you see his back starting to give and my camera hasn't shifted you'll understand...

for brakes though i recommend a bit bigger but same as in B series. (common sense)

only regret, not doing it sooner...

worse thing i regret but you get used to it.. is vibration but you get used it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Over steer is good for a FWD car...understeer is what sucks....and is what happens in an H22/civic setup. And I highly doubt your car can take a corner at 3 times the speed over an R. Sticky Rota's don't tell me anything....what kind of tires are they? And what do you mean..you can see his back starting to give...FWD has a natural tendancy to understeer...not oversteer ..his tail can only give out if he lets off his gas hot in a corner.

Khoi
Old 10-11-2003, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (Sohc Driver)

if you own a fwd car its easy to get oversteer bro, fwd can go either over or understeer, but most of the time it is a understeer baise. I can get my rear end to swing around EASY without LSD or a Rear Sway bar... the power helps alot. The way I get oversteer is to accelerate around a turn and then decelerate abrubtly, that will shoot the rear end out REAL fast...

PS: I own a 97 civic EX with Jdm H22 and have autoxed it before, vids used to be up for it...
Old 10-11-2003, 03:00 PM

Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (H22AMedina)

I love my setup. As long as you do your research and setup you susp. right you'll be okay.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:01 PM

ive noticed most of the faster all motor cars are running b series motors. same goes for fastest street all motor cars. i had a stock gsr with bolt ons in my coupe and i beat a h22 93 dx hatch. i guess some motors run better than others
Old 10-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (hybridKOOPHRI)

the only complaint I have about my car is that I cant lower it like I'd like, the exhaust hangs quite low and scrapes on big dips in the road. Other than that its a quite a setup. I do suggest you become very knowledgable with this setup because everything will not go as planned. But for me I give it
Old 10-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (H22AMedina)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22AMedina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you own a fwd car its easy to get oversteer bro, fwd can go either over or understeer, but most of the time it is a understeer baise. I can get my rear end to swing around EASY without LSD or a Rear Sway bar... the power helps alot. The way I get oversteer is to accelerate around a turn and then decelerate abrubtly, that will shoot the rear end out REAL fast...

PS: I own a 97 civic EX with Jdm H22 and have autoxed it before, vids used to be up for it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

what you just said was exactly what i noted above...FWD has a normal tendancy to understeer...however you can oversteer by purposely letting off the gas hot in a coner...but what my argument was to begin with, was the guy was saying that the Type R could not hang with him and implying that he couldn't keep up because his car was oversteering. But the thing is that the R oversteered probably because he just let off the gas, not because he reached his limits. The R obviously didn't push his car to what its capable of.

Khoi
Old 10-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Understeer - None that I notice

2. Axle Breakage - ok, I can vouch for this one. I broke my first set of axles, passenger side. This is mainly because I lowered my car 2.5in prior to swap and thought it would be ok. Also Place Racing's mounts could have caused the problems. There are two possible solutions to this, change to Hasport mounts so the motor sits a bit higher so there is no axle bindage and raise the car to stock height or drop it no more than 1in. Second solution is to raise car and then order DSS's Stage 3 axles. Why not Stage 2's, after a few launches, these won't last.

3. Traction - yep, there's definately loss of traction, recommend get LSD and stickier tires.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pikachu)

I can also say I'm very happy with mine. Do it right the first time, though. It's worth it. I've had axle issues due to some lowering, but other than that, nothing major. My alt and starter were bad, but got them rebuilt for cheap, and had to change the slave cylinder, musta had some JDM dirt in it or something from the trip, cuz it went after about 1K miles.
It doesn't have as much torque as my turbo DSM (duh) but it's SOOO much more reliable!!
Old 10-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Huh... odd, same thing with mine, I had to change my slave cylinder too but mine was bad when they swapped it in. Seems the JDM dirt is infectious!
Old 10-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually a tad bit of understeer is what you want... and you can set up a FWD to oversteer if you want..
Old 10-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GaRn)

mine is great!!!!

understeer, oversteer, blah blah blah.......... do this go about 50 mph in to a 30 mph right hand turn, tap ur brakes, then pull ur e-brake real quick and let go of it, down shift and peel out all in about 1 second. then tell me if u got it under or over... (try to stay on the steet)

that is fun in a regular car... but in my h22 civic, its awesome!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaZvic)

i love mine. vibration gets on ur nerves sometimes, but thats the price u pay. u said that u had a gsr with bot-ons and u beat a 93 h22 civic??? that guy must have driven like **** or like u said his car just didnt pull. he should have killed u. i would definitely get it if i were u. just like these guys say "do it right".
Old 10-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love my honda eg/h22, same issue as everyone post, vibration because of solid mounts, axles problem, car can't be drop too low, overall it is a very reliable and fast swap right off the box, capable of 13sec 1/4 stock, mine did,
Old 10-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (hybridKOOPHRI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridKOOPHRI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive noticed most of the faster all motor cars are running b series motors. same goes for fastest street all motor cars. i had a stock gsr with bolt ons in my coupe and i beat a h22 93 dx hatch. i guess some motors run better than others</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm i dont know about that, unless the h22a's vtec wasnt working or something was wrong with the car, maybe really bad driver.
my 94 CX h22a with I/E/Fly was beating ITR powered eg's and ek's with more bolt ons than i had
but its true some motors are strong and some arent
Old 10-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, the h22 would have killed ur stock gsr... Unless it was an incredibly bad driver. I was a bad driver when i first started, got better with time.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pikachu)

my h22 coupe had lots of fun with ITR's
suspension was done and car drove GREAT. onramps and offramps were the best. power+handling=FUN

Still wish i had her
Old 10-13-2003, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cccya)

most ITR's i've seen do around 14.5-14.9 in the 1320. with the right bolt on's

my h22 coupe ran 14.4-14.6 on the first night out to the track.
if you learn how to drive......there is a payoff
Old 10-13-2003, 05:17 AM

hey guys, can i be welcomed to the family..well not quite...but i just picked up my EG and i already am going to do the transplant from my hybrid accord to the EG, because of course..i hate running high 14's and low 15's with the h22.

Well, with all my research and all the info that you all provided...it seems that everyone always say...."DO IT RIGHT"

Ummm, with everyone saying this, are we talking about just using the hasport mounts, DSS axles, and either gsr brakes or itr brakes (what susp setup) and not loweriing the car...Is the gsr brakes the same as using the itr 5 lug braking setup

Cause i'm a bit confused with that statement...clarification please?

Old 10-13-2003, 05:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Can all of you happy H22A guys post up dyno sheets and 1/4 mile times?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs? (B18C5-EH2)

EDITED by B18C5-EH2.

***This is not H22A vs. B18C5, so do not put another link in this topic to such other topics.***

Quick Reply: H22a hybrids..anyone disappointed in theirs?