Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 swapped EM1 Axle bind

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 swapped EM1 Axle bind

So long story short, My axle's make noise when I turn right or hit a bump.
(I bought car like this) Car came with egay mounts, un-known axles "stage 2"...

Soo what axles do i need to fix this?

I changed mounts but other kit I had didn't change position of motor.

Car is 99 civic SI, with H22A1 motor. Stock half shaft.

I did Search but didn't find answer I was looking for. (I don't want to use Integra axles that I have to take apart to put together with H22 inners)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 swapped EM1 Axle bind

What mounts are you currently using? Another generic brand?

how low are you? are you slammed?

raxle, dss, hasport, etc.... Buy some name brand swap axles.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I was slammed, but axles were making alot noise none stop so I threw on some coil overs and picked it up about 2" Now it only makes the noise when turning right or a big bump.

Soo Hasport axles only work with there mounts?

Yeah the mounts are another generic brand.

Any experience's with what axle brand are good?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have Hasport axles and Hasport mounts on my 99 EX. My driver side axle binds and vibrates between 20-30 mph, when I take an aggressive right turn going above 50mph, and when I hit a decent bump.

I am lowered, but I have raised the car up to about 1" lower than stock.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:34 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mafia
No, I was slammed, but axles were making alot noise none stop so I threw on some coil overs and picked it up about 2" Now it only makes the noise when turning right or a big bump.

Soo Hasport axles only work with there mounts?

Yeah the mounts are another generic brand.

Any experience's with what axle brand are good?
yes our hasport work with hasport mount kits

we have found that hasport axles will work with certain other mount kits but you would need to call us and verify 602 470 0065

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I have Hasport axles and Hasport mounts on my 99 EX. My driver side axle binds and vibrates between 20-30 mph, when I take an aggressive right turn going above 50mph, and when I hit a decent bump.

I am lowered, but I have raised the car up to about 1" lower than stock.
sounds like you are dealing with a length problem.
give us a call and we can help determine what the axle length is and how to remedy the situation 602 470 0065
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the accord halfshaft those h22 halfshaft will cause binding issues its the extra lenth of it. I used oem 93 integra axles no swapping of parts they don't click, vibrate or nothing and it's in a 92 civic 4dr.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got Hasport mounts and Raxles axles on my ek. I had some binding/ vibration until i installed a camber kit. If your low enough to throw the camber off then fixing that will def help.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a lifetime alignment plan. I will go get the car aligned soon hopefully.

However, just as an update. I called Hasport, spoke with a Chris. He had me remove the axle nut, knock the axle as far in as I could with a 5lb hammer and a screwdriver, and then take a measurement.

Chris mentioned that the end of the axle threads (if I heard correctly) should be lined up with the hub, or if anything, only 0.25" out from the hub.

Well, when I started, I took a before measurement and found the axle sticking out 0.83", after hammering for 5 minutes, I took the same measurement and got 0.73". After another 5 min of this noise making, I measured again and got 0.73" out from the hub.

Sent Chris an E-mail yesterday. Still waiting on a reply. I hope Hasport come through for me with some to help my issue!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's definitely binding it should move in and out with just your hand force. Mine moves in and out easily but when i apply force to push it in.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is binding it hondasdohc? My alignment? If so, I will schedule an alignment this weekend and report back as soon as possible.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not the alignment unless you have some bad suspension parts like the front lower control arms or the camber is seriously off. What axles and half shaft combo you have?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hasport mounts, Hasport basic axles, H22 half shaft.

Let me know if you have any other insight!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I talked to Chris from hasport too. He told me to measure the axles , but I desided to buy innovative mounts and hasport axles. It seems that the innovative/hasport mounts move the motor about 1" foreword , to me that seems like the best place for the h22 to prevent axle bind.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you buy the steel innovatives, or the billet innovative mounts?

I had a set of the steel mounts before, but the shop said the car was basically undriveable due to the binding. I went with the Hasports from there. Never played with the billet mounts yet.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ones i bought i had to cut the trans side mount to put it in it's a 92 civic 4dr. You should do your alignment then check to see if that helps out if not then try and get the 93 accord halfshaft and use the 93 integra axles that is the best thing i have invested in. When i had the h22 halfshaft i had bad binding issues it would have a thump as soon as i started driving it was real bad.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I think that might be my only option if I cannot get this to work right. That is upsetting.

I paid:

Innovative Mounts - $350
1st set of Hasport axles - $300
Hasport Mounts - $520
2nd set of Hasport axles - $300 (original set had a leaking passenger side boot Hasport told me to just re-boot it and sometime they come with too much greases packed in there so it flings it all over the place. I thought the binding was on the passenger side due to the grease leaking etc)

Total so far - $1470 on just mounts and axles and I am still having issues. BTW... the motor/trans and everything else I needed was only 1250. UGH
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that's a lot of money spent on axles and a second set of mounts. Most of the h22 swaps in a civic chassis of any kind basically use the same axles but i would definitely try the accord half shaft from a junkyard or honda dealer and the 93 integra axles. You won't have to swap anything they go right in to the h22 trans and accord half shaft no swapping of inner cv axle.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it is that easy. I will see what I can do once I find a definitive answer from Hasport.

The H22 motor which I purchased came with an Accord half shaft since that is what it was pulled out of. In order to run the Hasports, I needed to buy a Prelude half shaft, which I bought incorrectly at first ($50 - bought an AT half shaft), and the bought again ($80). I guess I didn't add that into the price, too.

So I only need 93 Integra axles? I think you are the first person who is telling me that I do not have to swap inner joints, too.

It is becoming obvious that I should have just went with the Integra "hybrid' set-up and saved some $$$.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean i know people don't believe me but those axles do have the same spline and will still attach to the trans with the c clip on it no need to enlarge the c clip either. I bought a 94 integra passenger axle and a 93 integra drivers side axle put them in and that's it they work like a charm and my car is sort of lowered too. The accord half shaft is female prelude is male as in the prelude one has the spline sticking out and the accords has it like the 93 integra.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also had the axles at 135mph no problems and turn with them fast to test it out and nothing has happened no pop outs or anything.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

innovative mounts are replica of Hasport mounts. So I dont see how you had a problem with them, Are you sure you had the right Axle's from HAsport?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondasdohc
I mean i know people don't believe me but those axles do have the same spline and will still attach to the trans with the c clip on it no need to enlarge the c clip either. I bought a 94 integra passenger axle and a 93 integra drivers side axle put them in and that's it they work like a charm and my car is sort of lowered too. The accord half shaft is female prelude is male as in the prelude one has the spline sticking out and the accords has it like the 93 integra.
So you have a 94 integra passenger and a 93 driver axle? Does it matter if I have 93 or 94 axles? Shoot me a PM if you don't want to clutter this thread up. I appreciate your help so far hondasdohc.

innovative mounts are replica of Hasport mounts. So I dont see how you had a problem with them, Are you sure you had the right Axle's from HAsport?
I figured Innovative was a copy. When I had Innovative mounts, I needed to buy an alternator relocation kit since the alternator would hit the driver side headlight and the valve cover was hitting the strut tower wall. With the Hasports, I no longer needed the alternator kit (another investment which I didn't need to make - $150), and the motor was moved away from the strut tower, too.

I can't imagine getting the incorrect axles. The second set I purchased looked the same as the originals, and I believe Hasport offers the same axles for all 92-00 Civics and 94-01 Integras with the H swap, so I doubt they are incorrect.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=cvcrcr99;46667625]So you have a 94 integra passenger and a 93 driver axle? Does it matter if I have 93 or 94 axles? Shoot me a PM if you don't want to clutter this thread up. I appreciate your help so far hondasdohc.

The 93 drivers side axle from the DA integra is a male axle end instead of a female axle end but the passenger i just got the 94 integra axle. Also you are right all the axles for the 92-00 axles are all the same they sell at hasport.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

the billet kit is but their steel kits are another story
Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hasport
the billet kit is but their steel kits are another story
All they offer on there site is steal kit for the 00 civic.

Quick Reply: H22 swapped EM1 Axle bind