Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 swap...rumors or truth

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Jason kiDD)

For both mounkits HCP and HasPort

Use Accord intermediate/half shaft with 90-93 integra axles..
If binding or vibration occurs the you can use shorter 88-89 integra axles.

But in no way or form should there be an issue.
If you want to go the harder route you can keep the prelude intermediate shaft and still use the passenger side teg axle but now you must do a custom driver side with prelude inners and integra outers..

My car is also dropped without any issues. The only one problem that I am having is that DSS sent me the wrong axle measurements on both axles so I am currently working on this with them. Already replaced the passenger side and its mint now just have to figure out if the driver's side is either too long or short and adjust it.

Suspension wise my car handles great. I really wish some of you people lived closer so you could see for yourself. I great misonception that people dont realize also is that most 5th gen hatches bushing are usually very worn by the time you decide to swap in an engine. Havine worn or cracked bushing even with upgrades suspension will give you a bad responding ride.. Also check them when doing a swap to make sure that they are good. I know mine were real bad when I did my rear disc conversion.. Good thing for those new GSR ones in the rear.

Anymore questions..
And yes I have the Type S-spec h22a with factory LSD
Old 12-20-2002, 08:45 AM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (poison)

JDMdxTurd I love the shifter I just dont like the price... Makes it a bad idea for over $200 when the stock one works equally well.

And poison nah remember I am using my old 91 Accord shift assembly so its a little bigger than the prelude one. Covers up the hole completely. Then I just drilled holes for the outer bolts and secured it tight..

And eggs and bake in a preheated over for 30 minutes.. hehe
Old 12-20-2002, 10:13 AM
New User

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Emerica)

how about luxuries
such as AC, power steering.

will they be sacrificed?
in an ek.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:06 AM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Sucka Free)

A/C yes with the HCP mounting bracket, I don't think power steering clears hood, but it might depend on the kit, also how straight your car is, belt gets really close to the side of the engine bay.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:37 AM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (GTI 1.8t)

Rotas are made in the phillipines, therefore are not JDM, arent sw388's made in Russia?
Yes sw388's are manufactured in russia, a wheel shop told me this.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Hondaddict)

awesome thread. perfect timing too.

i currently have HASPort mounts. i'm getting my full swap w/LSD for $2050 in early january. (road trip to osaka!). i dunno when we're doing the swap, but we're going to go for keeping AC and P/S.

i've driven an h22 eg, that made me decided h22 not b18 the damn thing pulls IN 5TH GEAR while cruisin!!! amazing! only things i frown upon are the CEL and his faulty broken sensors. car idles at 2000rpm lol.

mine will be done right though. and i can't wait. i don't think i need too much more.

my planned setup:
95 jdm h22a
hasport mounts
aem 3" CAI
aem cam gears
aem pullys
aem fuel rail
aem fuel pressure regulator
dc sports 421 header
greddy catback
clutchmasters stage 4 clutch
clutchmasters 8lb flywheel
fal slim fan
del sol dual core radiator
neuspeed short shifter adapter
magnecor wires
iridium plugs
fully ported and polished head

we'll see how it runs. might be getting some other things not sure yet.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:08 PM

Default Email me for address to send me all the money i saved you!!

Let me save you some money and time here.

my planned setup:
95 jdm h22a
hasport mounts
aem 3" CAI
aem cam gears Dont get cam gears unless you are getting aftermarket cams, you will notice that with stock cams the best setting for both performance and gas mileage will be 0:0 anyways..

aem pullys
aem fuel rail Unless you plan on going turbo in the future the stock fuel rail is perfectly adequate but if you have money and a need to burn it email me and I will give you my address to send payments to

aem fuel pressure regulator Aeromotive FPR is just as good at a fraction of the price

dc sports 421 header Minimal gains over stock JDM header. If you really want to upgrade get a Greddy header or something with a bigger primaries and a 2.5 collector

greddy catback
fal slim fan 10" slimfan from pepboys will run you $60, extra money can be sent to address when given above

neuspeed short shifter adapter waste of time trust me

magnecor wires ngk 8mm wires will do you just fine again at fraction of cost

iridium plugs

Old 12-20-2002, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Email me for address to send me all the money i saved you!! (Jason kiDD)

Let me save you some money and time here.

my planned setup:
95 jdm h22a
hasport mounts
aem 3" CAI
aem cam gears Dont get cam gears unless you are getting aftermarket cams, you will notice that with stock cams the best setting for both performance and gas mileage will be 0:0 anyways..

aem pullys
aem fuel rail Unless you plan on going turbo in the future the stock fuel rail is perfectly adequate but if you have money and a need to burn it email me and I will give you my address to send payments to

aem fuel pressure regulator Aeromotive FPR is just as good at a fraction of the price

dc sports 421 header Minimal gains over stock JDM header. If you really want to upgrade get a Greddy header or something with a bigger primaries and a 2.5 collector

greddy catback
fal slim fan 10" slimfan from pepboys will run you $60, extra money can be sent to address when given above

neuspeed short shifter adapter waste of time trust me

magnecor wires ngk 8mm wires will do you just fine again at fraction of cost

iridium plugs
getting cams at some point

the aem fuel rail is good because of the location. prelude fuel rail means i'm running ghetto lines everywhere

aem fpr is on the way. too late

i've been told that greddy isnt as good as dc.

i already have a 12" fal fan. pep boys is for air freshners and oil. never anything for my engine ;x

why is neuspeed short shifter a waste of time?

magnecor wires are only $74. plus i already paid for em.

thanks for the help though. keep it coming
Old 12-20-2002, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Email me for address to send me all the money i saved you!! (j.fuggi)

Well it would make more sense to get the cam gears when you are installing the cams. At least to me anyways.. Extra money could be put towards some nice DSS axles.

If you get an AEM rail then get it for the Accord since the enter port is on the passenger's side where the fuel filter is..

Greddy is way better than DC. Has bigger primaries although still has a trivial 2-2.25 inch collector. DC give you just 1hp over stock JDM header if that much.. And you look like the kind of man that likes the best for his car..

With the 10" pep boys fan it cools your radiator so your engine wont feel disappointed that you saved money that could have went towards the port and polish. But again its just me nitpicking..

And i had the adapter, although it does indeed shorten the throws somewhat it because less precise and sometimes very clunky. I would suggest doing a search for 4bidden he is making custom real short shifters that both shorten throw and height of the shifter..

And I am done blabbering if anyone has any other questions just IM me..

[Modified by Jason kiDD, 4:28 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Email me for address to send me all the money i saved you!! (Jason kiDD)

Ill go ahead and throw my opinion in here.
As far as cam gears i have a set of skunk2's on mine. I had some extra cash and planned on big cams down the road. Although it is true that cam gears dont make any power unless they are tuned with cams but also you gotta remember that most aftermarket cam gears are alot lighter than the stock gears. Thus meaning that you are lightening up the roatating assembly bit by bit.
Then as far as headers i think they all suck for big power. I am gettting the hotshot 4-1 race header and welding me a flange on it. It makes like 12hp more than any DC or Greddy. DC and Greddy are nice for subtracting weight and for good looks but no for huge performance gains.
The fuel rail i will have very soon. Aem that is with the regulator just cause i like to match and the fpr is made for this rail and isnt just a cut factory one with an adapter(which are prone to cause eratic fuel pressures). Also on the prelude in is gonna be on the passenger side cause the JDM motors have it on the other side since it is right hand drive. Again all these items arent absoultly neccasary but nice to have to help aid in tuning.
Now to the radiator fan. I got me a nice universal electric one from advanced auto parts. Its super slim, nice fit and my car had never gotten hot. It was 48 dollars i beleive. My radiator is a automatic EX civic . It is a dual core and has to extra little outputs on the bottom so you could make a homemade oil cooler.Neat, It cost 90 dollars.
Only other thing is that im very excited about the arrival of the skunk 2 manifold. I want some nice big cams and a single plenum manifold so bad. All the power in a H22 is in the head. Cam timing is so very important. Anyways as far as aftermarket parts go i guess you could say this one is better than that one etc...all day long. True about it is that they are all pretty freaking similar.So pick what works for you as far as budget and opinion. My 2 cents.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:12 PM

i've had my swap for a about 5 months now... and i heard everything negative about the swap... but in reality, it wasnt so bad. the motor went in the car pretty easily (helps to have a hoist). all my pro's ad cons are the same with everyone else...

pros
torque.
the way the car shakes itself to life.
25 mpg

cons
CEL for EGR
axles bind up a bit... but DSS axles are on the way.

thats about it... i have no complaints about understeer cause i dont wanna push my car in a direction i know she cant go (on stock suspeension). i go straight, and i do it well. with the stock shocks and springs on there... i ran a 13.9 @ 98mph. the shifter, feels like a rod shifter once i got my short shifter... i can feel it going into every gear, real nice. it's not a swap for everyone... but it is for me.. i love it.

one more thing... anyone have suggestions on a header?

[Modified by dragonhvu, 10:14 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (dragonhvu)

Here's some pics...
92 CX
5 lug suspension/brakes
repaint Championship white
Built H22 swap
Place mounts
Weisco 8.8 pistons, eagle rods, ferra valves, ported/polished, crower springs, Skunk 2 retainers, waiting for revhard kit but running a 125 shot on the track

Old 12-20-2002, 02:13 PM

Sweet ride and clean setup. Hopefully mine will look that beautiful springtime of next year. For now she is just nice and dirty to put fear into the eyes of unsuspecting victims..

Any dyno plots or track numbers with the 125 shot.
And you say you have weisco pistons but did you resleeve the block or no??

And is that an ITR CAI??

[Modified by Jason kiDD, 6:16 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Email me for address to send me all the money i saved you!! (jDmDxTuRd)

lol And dont get me wrong I am not downing anyone's setup. I am just trying to show people that might looking into the swap some alternative ideas of getting parts which work equally well..

I was looking into the hotshot when I was first thinking about doing this but the fact that it hangs soo low and NYC roads are really messed up I just went and got the Greddy.. My JDM header's downpipe had a hole in it otherwise I would have just kept that..

Hopefully I plan on going turbo sometime early in 2004 so I am gathering information on that now..
Old 12-20-2002, 02:55 PM

That AEM intake is etheir for an accord or a prelude. The one pictured on my motor i an itr. The itr doesnt bend like that cause the abs sits right there. Nice car by the way. Oh and supposedly the hotshot header is a new design that has more ground clearance than the old one. Thats what it says on thier site.
Prelude Vtec Race Only Header. 4-1 Design with improved ground clearance. This header was for L'Natural and enabled it to be the first ALL MOTOR FWD in the 11's. 12 HP to the wheels OVER the nearest competitor. Designed for H22 Swaps into Civic/ CRX Body. Unfortunately will not fit in Preludes or Accords. 1 3/4" Dia. primaries, 18" x 2 1/2" ID Straight collector. DOES NOT BOLT TO EXHAUST.

Its pretty also.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Email me for address to send me all the money i saved you!! (jDmDxTuRd)

i have a weird question about the H22 think. what do you do with the shifter when you want to go back to another engine like b-series or d-series??? is there a way to do it?

thanks.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Email me for address to send me all the money i saved you!! (TinyCRX)

i have a weird question about the H22 think. what do you do with the shifter when you want to go back to another engine like b-series or d-series??? is there a way to do it?

thanks.
when I cut the hole for the shifter I did not cut that far back. The bolt hole for the original shifter are all the. If I were ever to put a B or D motor back in the shifter would bolt up to stock location, I'd only have a much bigger hole that's it.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Email me for address to send me all the money i saved you!! (fastwanabe)

i'm swapiping a h22 in my 95 hatch in teh future. very good info learned alot.

Old 12-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Jason kiDD)

Sweet ride and clean setup. Hopefully mine will look that beautiful springtime of next year. For now she is just nice and dirty to put fear into the eyes of unsuspecting victims..

Any dyno plots or track numbers with the 125 shot.
And you say you have weisco pistons but did you resleeve the block or no??

And is that an ITR CAI??

[Modified by Jason kiDD, 6:16 PM 12/20/2002]
with the 125 shot it ran 13.00 at 113 with absoluetly no traction. That was on the stock Type R tires with about 85% tread and my brother really can't drive that great with the setup either. Not the greatest time to show since a stock swap could run that, but this is with spinning through all 4 gears and a 2.5 60 foot.

And it has Darton sleeves. Edwards engines in Spokane did all of the work, same place that's doing Hondaaddicts'.

The CAI is off a friend's Prelude and it sucks. We have a short ram 3incher which seems to produce better power.

OH, and another thing about times and power she's putting down, this is also with a stock EX exhaust system. It's really quiet but VERY restrictive.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it would make more sense to get the cam gears when you are installing the cams. At least to me anyways.. Extra money could be put towards some nice DSS axles.

If you get an AEM rail then get it for the Accord since the enter port is on the passenger's side where the fuel filter is..

Greddy is way better than DC. Has bigger primaries although still has a trivial 2-2.25 inch collector. DC give you just 1hp over stock JDM header if that much.. And you look like the kind of man that likes the best for his car..

With the 10" pep boys fan it cools your radiator so your engine wont feel disappointed that you saved money that could have went towards the port and polish. But again its just me nitpicking..

And i had the adapter, although it does indeed shorten the throws somewhat it because less precise and sometimes very clunky. I would suggest doing a search for 4bidden he is making custom real short shifters that both shorten throw and height of the shifter..

And I am done blabbering if anyone has any other questions just IM me..

[Modified by Jason kiDD, 4:28 PM 12/20/2002]
dss axles are a waste of money i hear. my friend had a set on his civic with h22 and they still messed up. i'm getting some stock axles with lifetime warantee. so if they break, i go in, and get free ones.

the aem rail has fuel plugs on boths sides i'm told.

yea i want the best. but i was told by some guy who sells dc and greddy that dc our performs greddy. i have a greddy now, and i like it! maybe i'll go with greddy.

i already bought the 12" fal fan. i like it and trust it more than pep boys. its ok, port & polish is free!!

i might return the adapter if i can find 4bidden

thanks again

Old 12-20-2002, 08:02 PM

yea i did a H22 swap and yea it is heavy but thats why you buy a suspension to hold it up it also has the hp to push it with all the mods i have (look at H22a-vtecDOHC and the mods will be there)
Old 12-20-2002, 08:08 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (H22A-vtecDOHC)

DMS Racing- I totally see where you're coming from and can agree to a certain extent. The car I showed is my brothers, personally- I would not do the swap. I would rather opt for a C5, but that's just me. Doing the H22 is something different and more rewarding in specific areas that other engines can't come close to matching. It's not a B16 swap where anybody can be somewhat happy with it. with this swap, either you love it or you hate it. That;'s why you got to know what you're doing to make it work.

It all depends on the driving you'll be doing and what you want out of your car. In my car, I stay to SOHC's cause that's what works for me. It may not work for some people though.

Edit- and about spinning through the whole quarter, that's nothing to brag about. I simply stated that to show LOTS of potential with the right grip.

[Modified by Emerica, 9:09 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-21-2002, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth

I am thinking about doing this swap in my VX hatch. The reason being, I want something that is a real easy daily driver in traffic. Mmmmm, torque. Would you guys recommend the H22 for a car where peak performace at the track is not an issue?

Also, how much downtime is expected for a swap like this? Should I just buy an EF to drive to work while I am working on the swap?

Kenton
Old 12-21-2002, 09:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (DMS Racing)

DMS and I agree on certain points...

I'll be back to give my view on it later after I get done Christmas shopping y0!

Book coming...

Old 12-21-2002, 10:22 AM

Has anyone had any expirence with Place Racing engine mounts? Are they soft? Has anyone had any expirence with Place Racing's Axes or shift linkage? Thanks. H22 on the way, EK waiting paitently.

Quick Reply: H22 swap...rumors or truth