Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22 swap in civic... NO SPARK????

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:57 PM

Location: Beautiful beaches, skies, and ladies. No worries(.) @ the OBX, NC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 swap in civic... NO SPARK????

I swapped a jdm h22 in my 95 civic dx and went to start it and there is no spark.
After the third crank it tried to run for a second and then cut out but no spark after that.
It turns over and is getting fuel but no fire.

any suggestions
Old 06-03-2008, 07:23 AM

Default Re: h22 swap in civic... NO SPARK???? (eg_h22)

please
Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg_h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I swapped a jdm h22 in my 95 civic dx and went to start it and there is no spark.
After the third crank it tried to run for a second and then cut out but no spark after that.
It turns over and is getting fuel but no fire.

any suggestions </TD></TR></TABLE>

check all of your grounds. and Main relay.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Re: h22 swap in civic... NO SPARK???? (h22crxpwr)

its my first time with a honda... could you please tell me where the main relay is?
sorry if its a stupid question
Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg_h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its my first time with a honda... could you please tell me where the main relay is?
sorry if its a stupid question
</TD></TR></TABLE>

not a stupid question at all. inside the car, under the dash on the drivers side. bolted up to the side with 10mm bolts. near the fuse panel. do you hear a click when you turn the key to the "on" position? not starting the car just the first turn of the key you should hear a "click" from the relay.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 PM

relay clicks... tranny, thermo, and valve cover grounds look good. All fuses are good.

How do I check for codes?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a CEL on? if you do then you can check the codes with a small plug located under the glovebox area. you have to jump it with a wire then the CEL will flash. the Flashes determine the codes its throwing. have you checked all of your fuses as well? none blown? they may not look blown but could be. i always check both sides of the fuse with a test light. i had one that did not look blown at all but the test light didnt light. changed the fuse and the car fired right up.

is it a known good dizzy? take the cap and rotor off and see if there is any obvious damage.. if you have access to another one try to swap distributors.

Same with the ECU. try it in another car. or try another ECU in your car.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have a CEL on? if you do then you can check the codes with a small plug located under the glovebox area. you have to jump it with a wire then the CEL will flash. the Flashes determine the codes its throwing. have you checked all of your fuses as well? none blown? they may not look blown but could be. i always check both sides of the fuse with a test light. i had one that did not look blown at all but the test light didnt light. changed the fuse and the car fired right up.

is it a known good dizzy? take the cap and rotor off and see if there is any obvious damage.. if you have access to another one try to swap distributors.

Same with the ECU. try it in another car. or try another ECU in your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I checked all fuses with a light and they were good. I don't know if its a good dizzy, it came with the swap from hmotors. I checked the rotor and it kinda loks wore out. I have a d15 dizzy on hand... will that work?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:39 PM

could I be 180 degrees off on the distributor. I did a cam swap and thought I put it back on right. Could that keep it from firing being 180 degrees off?

I also have a chipped p28 from phearable. I tried the diagnostic plug and the srs light kept flashing. Can I even check codes with this computer?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 PM

where you at h22crxpwr... you're the **** right now
Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg_h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could I be 180 degrees off on the distributor. I did a cam swap and thought I put it back on right. Could that keep it from firing being 180 degrees off?

I also have a chipped p28 from phearable. I tried the diagnostic plug and the srs light kept flashing. Can I even check codes with this computer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you should be fine to check codes. not sure why the srs light is flashing? the dizzy wouldn't slide into the cam easily if it was 180'd. did you check your timing? are the gears and the crank pulley lined up? since you did a cam swap... what cams did you put in? did you adjust valves? check to see if they are too tight..
Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you should be fine to check codes. not sure why the srs light is flashing? the dizzy wouldn't slide into the cam easily if it was 180'd. did you check your timing? are the gears and the crank pulley lined up? since you did a cam swap... what cams did you put in? did you adjust valves? check to see if they are too tight.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I swapped blox b cams and adjusted valvles and I'm pretty sure the timing is right. You think it could be something as simple as my rotor
Old 06-03-2008, 03:31 PM

When I got a new cap for it from auto zone the one for the prelude didn't fit. so I got a del sol one and it fit.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg_h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I got a new cap for it from auto zone the one for the prelude didn't fit. so I got a del sol one and it fit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

why is it this happened
Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg_h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why is it this happened</TD></TR></TABLE>

prelude has an external coil. you got the right cap. recheck your timing. make sure it didn't skip a tooth or more....

go back over your wiring as well. change the rotor and try it. does the ignitor look okay, sometimes its all burned. but then again it can look fine. try swapping it with a good one. ignitor is easy to change. if it still doesnt spark change the coil. with the ones from your d15 dizzy (if you know they are good)
Old 06-04-2008, 02:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

prelude has an external coil. you got the right cap. recheck your timing. make sure it didn't skip a tooth or more....

go back over your wiring as well. change the rotor and try it. does the ignitor look okay, sometimes its all burned. but then again it can look fine. try swapping it with a good one. ignitor is easy to change. if it still doesnt spark change the coil. with the ones from your d15 dizzy (if you know they are good)</TD></TR></TABLE>

what wiring should I check or where should I start considering the "spark" issue?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg_h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what wiring should I check or where should I start considering the "spark" issue?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'd change the igniter and coil. now its going to be trial and error until you find the problem. did you try another ECU yet? are the plugs and wires new? and change the rotor, or use the d15 one if it was good before.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM

i'd change the igniter and coil. now its going to be trial and error until you find the problem. did you try another ECU yet? are the plugs and wires new? and change the rotor, or use the d15 one if it was good before. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It fired up after I hanged the coil but it sounds like a misfire or a valve not opening properly. cam lobes look fine. are the cam gear arrows supposed to point the same direction? both of my gears are pointing to the front of the car.

all in all the car runs but it sounds like its missing
Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM

we took a look at the spark plugs and #3 cylinder isn't firing. What do you think could be causing this?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you check the plug wire for the no. 3 cylinder or try a different wire?

BTW, what prob you had with camp1320? Just curious...
Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 AM

Default Re: h22 swap in civic... NO SPARK???? (pcguy760)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pcguy760 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you check the plug wire for the no. 3 cylinder or try a different wire?

BTW, what prob you had with camp1320? Just curious... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought a $500 header from them and it didn't fit. On top of that, after they sent out quantities of headers to unsatisfied customers, they then shut off all forms of contact. Yeah... grimey!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your firing order... and are those new spark plug wires and plugs? change the #3 and get new plugs.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 PM

firing order is good. Will a plug wire from my d15 work?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM

btw wish you weren't so far. that crx is lookin like potential
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg_h22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw wish you weren't so far. that crx is lookin like potential </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah and its ready to go!! just needs motor/trans/ and ecu!! even has 2 sets of custom axles!

anyway back to your issue. the d15 one i think should fit in there. try it out and see if its long enough to reach the plug. i've used plug wires that were WAYYYY too long before just to get a car running.. funny looking with them sticking out real far but it worked! just to test it will be fine...

Quick Reply: h22 swap in civic... NO SPARK????