Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 Maual Tensioner Conversion - Timing Belt Walking

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon6 H22 Maual Tensioner Conversion - Timing Belt Walking

Have the motor out of my car, and redoing a lot of things.

Did the manual tensioner conversion...

Sourced the, some studs, timing belt tensioner, balance shaft tensioner, the 2 springs from a junk yard f22.

The remainder of the parts, the shaft the tensioners ride on, small stuff for timing tensioner, the guide, and the other various parts needed from the dealership...

PICTURES POSTED BELOW

Timing is dead on, balance shaft seals are on point, everything is tightened down, and all spacers are used...

The timing belt IF pushed all the way towards the block, pushed from cams, water pump, crank section, etc etc...
If i rotate a few times the belt begins to walk to the outer edge and keeps on going (AWAY FROM BLOCK). The pictures will show.

what can be causing this?

Last edited by Mfoehrkolb; 09-13-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Maual Tensioner Conversion - Timing Belt Walking

Okay here are the pictures... I will try and organize them the best i can according to what they are... Idk what is wrong or what is causing this since i did everything by the book.

(Only thing i can think of is... the timing belt pulley could be bad and maybe its slanting a bit?... Idk if it was me but i feel as if the pulley is leaning forward a bit.. but i think it might be my mind playing a trick on me)

Timing Conversion Parts: New / Used

H22 Timing - Perfect...

Belt Walking After A Few Turns:

Sneak Peak! Engine and Bay color!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The times I've seen this happen a washer is either missing or added by mistake.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
The times I've seen this happen a washer is either missing or added by mistake.
___ that's what has me stumped. I put everything on correctly and all oem parts. I am going to buy a dayco timing tensioner set up. If it solves the problem ill return them and go buy oem. Idk what else it could be. My buddy suggested I use some spare b series washers around the crank to guide the belt like it does for b series. I want to try a few things first and find out what is causing the problems.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there is a bigger washer that goes between the timing belt and crank pulley that will keep that from happening. That washer can be found on the h23 and f22 engines.
#18 here.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had same problem i got a washer similar 18 from a b seires block i had layn around made the hole lil bigger and a tab for the key to pass threw fix the problem right away
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I def. have that washer on. I never removed any gears from the crank besides for crank pulley and balancing shaft pulley. Everything down there stayed on.

I just purchased new pulleys tonight, i am going to throw them on tomorrow and see if it still walks. Hopefully not for my sake. This really threw a wrench in my project. I have a lot of grinding and body work to do to the bay along with all the primer and sanding.. bc and cc to follow... sigh. Want it done by weeks end.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, i replaced the tensioners with brand new ones and still had the problem...

I then began to brainstorm... What i did was... I had a spare #18... I notched it and bored it open a bit to fit over crank diameter. I put #18 in between #16 and #15.

I turned the motor about 20 times and it walked but not as far as it did the first time, and it stopped walking about about 4 revolutions. I still have about 1/8" gap from belt to the outer edge of the cam gear... so im all good now. I kept the brand new tensioners on too because... im a baller and i didnt feel like removing them to put the old ones back on and then returning the new ones. Just wasn't worth it to me in the end.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef9_lover
had same problem i got a washer similar 18 from a b seires block i had layn around made the hole lil bigger and a tab for the key to pass threw fix the problem right away
--- oh wow, i didn't see you wrote this... I literally just did the samething you said. Wish i would have read this before i went though all the hassle of trying to figure out what was wrong with my set up and just settling to do this in the end.