Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START!

Today i went to start my 88 HF CRX with a H22 for the first time, the problem is that there is no spark from the distributor or anything i have fuel, timing is good, it just wont spark up.. I had the wiring harness done by Hasport and a Locash racing ecu adapter but i dont think its one of those components.. please help!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START! (crispynuggets)

Also my fuel pump has no power now, i'm beginning to think that its my main relay!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

main relay.. Ecu, Ecu Jumper...try those first.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START! (h22crxpwr)

I replaced the main relay today. I have fuel now but no spark still. my ECU(P28) works fine it came out of a running car and when i plug it into my friends ride his car starts right up, so i know its not the ECU. It has to be something in the wiring! when i pinned the ECU i didnt touch any of the wires that involved the dizzy, i had my wiring harness sent off to hasport and they did the dual-pot to multi-port conversion for me, I am also using a locash racing OBD-0 - OBD-1 jumper harness. I pinned and spliced maybe 12 wires total on this car and after reviewing them they're all in there correct places. So you guys can imagine my frustration, I don't even know where to start!!

If anyone has any knowledge or just an idea it's all appreciated!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like eather ur ignitor or ignition coil.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START! (JasonST)

update: car runs but floods soon after! The crazy thing is that it only floods 2 cylinders(2 & 4). im thinking my dizzy because i have a really iradic spark(like it only sparks when it feels like it), and bad plugs, the wires are brand new OEM so i dont think it is them.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe you have the plug wires mixed up...?

have you touched the timing belt at all?

are you getting an engine light?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START! (2point2)

Ya getting an CEL, dont know which code it is yet. I replaced the timing belt, balancer belt, water pump and did a maual tensioner conversion. I plugged the wires according to the Helmes manual. I thought timing also but im not sure. I dont understand why it would only flood 2 cylinders. My friend said it could be caused by the iradic spark( fuel being injected several times and to high of a air/fuel ratio to ignite once the distributor does actually spark up).

also I have had an issue ever since i got it. I bought the motor to put into a 95 Accord EX, then i totaled it. It has always sparked up funny but the motor ran strong(ran a 15.1 out here in this high altitude on the big *** Accord chassis).
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispynuggets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya getting an CEL, dont know which code it is yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whatcha waiting for!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

whatcha waiting for! </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 !!! find out what code that is and fix it first! then if it still happens come back and ask,, fix that CEL first though!!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Basically i'm to bummed out and unmotivated to work on it right now. I've been doing this swap for over a year, its kinda depressing!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispynuggets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically i'm to bummed out and unmotivated to work on it right now. I've been doing this swap for over a year, its kinda depressing!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know how you feel, i have the same thing. some things are a bitch. i've been fighting issues all year.. just keep at it and it will come together. check the code to at least see what it is. thats easy.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM

i think i'm going to right about............................................. ..........now!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispynuggets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically i'm to bummed out and unmotivated to work on it right now. I've been doing this swap for over a year, its kinda depressing!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's part of owning a hyrid setup.

I've been debugging my swap for 3 years lol.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 AM

Well the list of problems keeps growing... I went out to the garage last night to find which trouble code the engine was throwing and tried running the engine, which did not run and made this wierd noise, I pulled the valve cover off to see if the timing might be off and realized that there was no oil in the head just puddles of gas. So i checked my oil and the dipstick smells like gas, so i called my friend and he said that the cause for that is that the injectors are staying open and/or leaking as it sits. So i think i need new injectors or resistor box. Does anyone know if OBD-2 injectors work with OBD-1 ECU's?

my list of problems so far is: no oil to the head, injectors and resistor box are f'd up, and my distributor is tempermental!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should still be able to get the code out of the ECU. The engine light doesnt have to be on and the engine doesnt have to be running to pull codes.

You can display the last code(s) if you jumper the terminals, as long as you never unhooked the battery.

Change the oil, and put some cheap stuff in until you figure this out. I dont think that is gas under the valve cover lol, just oil that smells like gas.

Search the prelude section to get the answer about injectors.

Other than that you might want to seek 1 on 1 help from someone who knows the ins and outs of hybrid hondas.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM

Ya i'll be changing the oil, the problem is my battery is dead from cranking on the engine so i think the codes are gone. I'm gonna get a new dizzy(any suggestion's on a trusted source), try and find some different injectors, but 1st i'm gonna see if my resistor box is bad. Then go from there.

Thanx guys for all your help, I feel much more motivated to get this going again!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, that kind of sounds like a ground problem too. Check all of your grounds and make sure that they are good. Id start with that before you buy anything. Hope everything works out. Good luck
Old 11-29-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START! (91gst)

I made 2 custom grounds. one from the thermostat housing to the frame and one from the block to the frame, both using 4ga wire.

i checked my resistor box by putting it in my accord and seeing how it ran, and it ran perfect. That eliminates one potential factor. my friend has a H22 eg that i swapped a while back and we're going to use his dizzy to see if its my injectors!
Unless there is an alternative to checking them out of the vehicle?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispynuggets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I made 2 custom grounds. one from the thermostat housing to the frame and one from the block to the frame, both using 4ga wire.

i checked my resistor box by putting it in my accord and seeing how it ran, and it ran perfect. That eliminates one potential factor. my friend has a H22 eg that i swapped a while back and we're going to use his dizzy to see if its my injectors!
Unless there is an alternative to checking them out of the vehicle?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is THE BEST way to check if parts are working right.

The ground that goes from the engine harness to the 'stat is extremely important - what is the status with this ground wire? Make sure you are using the ground from the valve cover to the headlight bracket as well and that the connections are 110% clean.

Once you find out if the dist is garbage or not it should be pretty easy from here on.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:42 PM

the one from the engine harness is also on the thermostat housing! I know the distributor is trash i should have replaced it along time ago. Anyone know where to get one?

I bought the one i have from a shady shop! when it was in my accord, when i put a timing light on it the light would flash iradically, so we could never set the ign. timing on it. The car would idle like **** but the VTEC kicked hard!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 PM

A few pics of the project

Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll try and help ya out crispy nuggets

$198 Free shipping http://www.DistributorKing.com they have the JDM OBD1 H22A dizzy. I think it's a deal considering what a coil and igniter costs. Look at his listings.

OBD2 injectors with OBD1 ecu wont work (that would explain idle issues)... need OBD1 H22A injectors (peak n hold) requires resistor box... make sure resistor box is wired up correctly...

Old 12-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START! (ESP.net)

Thanks for your input. I have OBD-1 injectors, but i need new ones. I pulled the intake manifold apart to clean the inside of it a little. When i pulled it off a mixture of gas and oil (oil is in there because my "smart" friend tipped the engine while putting it on the engine stand, it was mostly gas)poured out of it. I mean alot, like a quart or more, so that pretty much tells me that 1 or more of the injectors is stuck open. Also the ignitor in my distributor was the wrong one, so i replaced it with one from another prelude distributor i had laying around.

If anyone knows where to get new injectors, let me know!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've got some oem obd1 injectors taking up space.. shoot me a im.

Quick Reply: H22 INTO AN EF! WONT START!