Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help.

Alright, I am sick of searching and reading worthless answers.

Here is the deal. I have an H22 Teg with Greddy EVO cat back exhaust and a custom header. Recently the cat clogged for whatever reason, so I gutted it and figured that I would find a new one soon. (side note: FOR THE RECORD, I DON'T HAVE INSPECTIONS OR EMISSIONS CHECKS. So please don't tell me I NEED a Cat, and I don't give a #%@& about the environment either.) Right now the exhaust tone is raspy as hell as you can imagine. So this is what I want to know...

In place of the gutted factory cat I am debating putting in an 18'' long (2.5'' diameter) resonator http://www.kteller.com/store/p...34b78 or the higher quality Catsound 93506 17'' long (2.5'' diameter) Catalytic converter http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku

The main two concerns I have are: 1.) I want to completely remove the raspiness and overall loud tone from the exhaust. 2.) However, power is important. But it is slightly less important then sound. So basically, if they are about the same power-wise, which will make sure the raspiness is gone. Or will they both be equally effective?

Essentially, my major concern is whether or not adding the resonator will make much of a difference sound-wise, (remember I already have one that comes with the EVO exhaust). However, I am pretty sure that the cat would solve my problem. But if the resonator will work just as well I would rather just have the resonator. See what I am getting at.

Please only respond if you have some actual experience. I would rather not get answers like: "the cat would definately be more quiet." Tell me how you know, if you would.

Thank you in advance for your advice and sorry for the rambling,
Conlan

Modified by slim9300 at 1:58 PM 4/11/2006
Old 04-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help. (slim9300)

The resonator will get rid of the raspy sound. Putting a cat back on will rob some power so I would avoid that option.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help. (skunked)

ttt
Old 04-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im in the same situation, I don't want the extra attention with loud "Baaah" exhaust. Did you ever figure out how much power would be lost with the addition of a cat?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help. (spoink)

H22 in an eh2 here. I am running no cat with an resonator that appears to be approxamately 1.5 - 2 feet. I have a magnaflow with absolutely no raspyness at all.

It only has a slight deep bass tone though.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help. (EsQueue)

I think I found the solution. They call it a muffler, but it's basically a resonator. It will go in place of my gutted cat. There was a ITR on here that used it the same way and solved both the noise and power concerns. Since it's less restricing then a cat.

http://store.summitracing.com/...10416
Old 04-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The resonator will get rid of the raspy sound. Putting a cat back on will rob some power so I would avoid that option.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slim9300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I found the solution. They call it a muffler, but it's basically a resonator. It will go in place of my gutted cat. There was a ITR on here that used it the same way and solved both the noise and power concerns. Since it's less restricing then a cat.

http://store.summitracing.com/...10416</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats's basically a glasspack. Anyways, replacing the cat with a fake EBAY cat will fix the raspy sound. The fake cat is basically a short resonator, you'll get power along with the loss of the raspy crappy sounding exhaust. I installed a fake cat on my car and it sounds wonderful. Not stupid fart can "bahh---Baaahhhhh", it's a low pitch hum, yet it can get loud when given the right RPM's, yet not loud enough to hear five miles away. Comfortable warm tones with performance
Old 04-12-2006, 02:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The resonator will get rid of the raspy sound. Putting a cat back on will rob some power so I would avoid that option. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why did you say it again? I AM putting a resonator on it.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slim9300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why did you say it again? I AM putting a resonator on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Becasue that's what I said originally and it was ignored then you come back and say your putting a resonator on it which I already said originally.

Furthermore a resonator is just a specific type of muffler that flows better and that's why I recommended this over a restrictive cat.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Becasue that's what I said originally and it was ignored then you come back and say your putting a resonator on it which I already said originally.

Furthermore a resonator is just a specific type of muffler that flows better and that's why I recommended this over a restrictive cat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't ignore you at all. I looked into resonators some more and I found that there are effective designs and non-effective designs. Thus, I continued my search hoping to find someone with a specific resonator in mind, or some specific experience like: "I replaced the cat with a Magnaflow 93506 resonator on my h22 civic and it completely got rid of any raspiness." What did you want me to say anyways? I read a 100 posts that made the same blanket statement, only one or two actually gave a specific product or experience.

Modified by slim9300 at 6:40 PM 4/12/2006
Old 04-12-2006, 05:47 PM

Resonators are resonators, I never noticed any difference with brand, just length.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slim9300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didn't ignore you at all. I looked into resonators some more and I found that there are effective designs and non-effective designs. Thus, I continued my search hoping to find someone with a specific resonator in mind, or some specific experience like: "I replaced the cat with a Magnaflow 93506 resonator on my h22 civic and it completely got rid of any raspiness." What did you want me to say anyways? I read a 100 posts that made the same blanket statement, only one or two actually gave a specific product or experience.

Modified by slim9300 at 6:40 PM 4/12/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

no need to get twisted.

I thought the purpose of a resonator was pretty basic info
Old 04-12-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Re: H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help. (SixguN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SixguN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Resonators are resonators, I never noticed any difference with brand, just length.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you really think this: (The picture was blocked from being put up. But basically it was a 2.5'' pipe with baffles from Kteller.)

...would be as effective as this at surpressing sound?

Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's a good resonator. I know it sounds pretty quiet with the magnaflow muffler.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's a good resonator. I know it sounds pretty quiet with the magnaflow muffler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet. You are only the second person that knew anything about it. I am glad to here it.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet. You are only the second person that knew anything about it. I am glad to here it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the longer the quieter as well.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 PM

I know. But I have to get the 14'' inch one because the next size up, 22'' won't fit in the spot for my cat. I am seriously just going to make it exactly the same length as my cat, put the exact same flanges on it and bolt it up. That way I don't have to cut or bastardize my Greddy exhaust twice.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Ok, nevermind. That is a pretty nice resonator. I haven't seen it before. I bet that would make a diff. I have tried 3 different 22 inch resonator's on my h22 and they all sounded the same.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SixguN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, nevermind. That is a pretty nice resonator. I haven't seen it before. I bet that would make a diff. I have tried 3 different 22 inch resonator's on my h22 and they all sounded the same. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait. So you have the same problem as me? Did you get it figured out? What did you end up using?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:09 PM

Wait. So you have the same problem as me? Did you get it figured out? What did you end up using?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I ended up using a 22 inch resonator. I paid $23 at a auto store just to test it out but it helped out. But the one that you are looking at has me interested. Length makes a difference so if you can get a 22 inch welded up, I think you would be happy with it. I would definatly go with that magnaflow too.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SixguN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ended up using a 22 inch resonator. I paid $23 at a auto store just to test it out but it helped out. But the one that you are looking at has me interested. Length makes a difference so if you can get a 22 inch welded up, I think you would be happy with it. I would definatly go with that magnaflow too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks I am really hoping that the shorter magnaflow will work. I don't want to cut my exhaust again and I already have one resonator.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a noticable difference between the cat sized and larger one that I replaced it with. I think that mine is around 2 feet long. No rasp whatsoever paired with my magnaflo muffler.

Fortunately you have another resonator so I think that your existing resonator and a new short one should do the trick.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help. (EsQueue)

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:34 PM

About how much does the magnaflow resinator run $$ wise? Ive got a h22 ek and i also would like to ditch the "honda fart" sound. I was thinking of trying a basic glasspack, but this looks way better.

Quick Reply: H22 Integra not sounding too good. Help.