Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (long)

please click on the link at read my post (yes thats me 22Ferio), and advise from there.....

http://www.h22a.org/phpBB/viewtopic....=937&forum=6&0

[Modified by Snatchback, 11:01 AM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (Snatchback)

Option 1 If you have the funds!

Make some NICE power

it'd be slightly more than the straight 's' swap, but you'd have more power, and a fresher engine!

one question though, what's up with 'Pedal Set'?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (hot_EG)

pedle set cuz its auto. =
BUT! remember the car is free =
Old 10-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahhh..makes sense now

opt.1
Old 10-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (hot_EG)

anyone else?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would go with option one also, this is because you dont really know what conditions the motor was stored under or what condition the motor is in when you get it..if you get a stock motor and drop it in you could have major probs 10k miles down the line so its better to rebuild the whole thing...plus i think it would make more a little power than the type s engine. it might cost more than a straight type s drop in but, in the long run, reliability pays off.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (areyouasian)

Guy a JDM Type-S engine does not cost $3000 canadian! It's something like $4500 US on jdmhondaparts.

On top of that the type-s is a 5th gen H22a4 engine, and comes stock with the ATTS/SH transmission. The SiR S-spec prelude has the LSD tranny and type-s motor.

If you're going to get the EuroAccord manifold....why don't you just buy a EuroAccord H22a? It has the Type-s valvetrain.....

The JDM H22a has 10.6:1 CR and is a great engine...don't waste your money on type-s, you could mill the head on the JDM H22a and be way above 11:1 CR. Spend your money on the 4th gen JDM H22a. And why would you get type-s internals anyway. I understand type-s pistons are the best you can do without sleeving the block. But there are way better valvetrain components and cams out there than type-s

And I still can't understand where your $$ figures come from

[Modified by satan_srv, 12:41 AM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (satan_srv)

Guy a JDM Type-S engine does not cost $3000 canadian! It's something like $4500 US on jdmhondaparts.

On top of that the type-s is a 5th gen H22a4 engine, and comes stock with the ATTS/SH transmission. The SiR S-spec prelude has the LSD tranny and type-s motor.

If you're going to get the EuroAccord manifold....why don't you just buy a EuroAccord H22a? It has the Type-s valvetrain.....

The JDM H22a has 10.6:1 CR and is a great engine...don't waste your money on type-s, you could mill the head on the JDM H22a and be way above 11:1 CR. Spend your money on the 4th gen JDM H22a. And why would you get type-s internals anyway. I understand type-s pistons are the best you can do without sleeving the block. But there are way better valvetrain components and cams out there than type-s

And I still can't understand where your $$ figures come from

[Modified by satan_srv, 12:41 AM 10/18/2002]
first off, not to be rude, but i did mention on the post i quote "first off some people may be shocked with the canadian prices for the motors, its all good"
i knew i'd have to explain this but, basically it all depends on exchange rate and currency.... the motors i get aren't coming form the asian waters, they are coming from somewhere else *??????* which when it reaches there from japan or hong kong it is dirt cheap, and when it gets here in Toronto its even better,.... i get all my motors and my friends jdm parts for honda's and nissans from there (ie. you wouldn't believe what we've paid for 3 SR20's)

anyways, i have always leaned toward just building the H22a 4th gen (with LSD) and take it from there, as i am one of those individuals that need to push something that i've built, i know, and be at peace of mind with..... i just wanted to know if i'd find something else new that would be an advantage of picking up the Type S instead.... and as far as the Euro Accord R, a little hard to come by at the moment, plus like you've brought up and others have told me "just build the h22a" and thats what i'm pretty sure of what i'm gonna do.....

thanks all for your advise,...
but if anyone else has anything else they can add
to improve or lay down there knowledge on what
i have planned to set up then please speak your mind....
Old 10-18-2002, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first off, not to be rude, but i did mention on the post i quote "first off some people may be shocked with the canadian prices for the motors, its all good"
i knew i'd have to explain this but, basically it all depends on exchange rate and currency.... the motors i get aren't coming form the asian waters, they are coming from somewhere else *??????* which when it reaches there from japan or hong kong it is dirt cheap, and when it gets here in Toronto its even better,.... i get all my motors and my friends jdm parts for honda's and nissans from there (ie. you wouldn't believe what we've paid for 3 SR20's)
I'm from Canada too and those aren't standard canadian prices...most regular JDN H22as with tranny, axles, ecu runs $3000-3500 in Toronto. You've got a hookup that's nice....but I still say there are better components than type-s, but you can't run forged pistons without resleeving the block.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (satan_srv)

....but I still say there are better components than type-s, but you can't run forged pistons without resleeving the block.
i'm aware of that there are better components than the S, but i'm not planning to go that far with the block, gonna pick up just a regular 4th gen h22a and just slightly bore with the oem S pistons, and same with the head, just putting S cams and valve train with titanium retainers, plus balancing all rotations, and all the machine/port and polishing.

Old 10-18-2002, 04:20 PM

be careful with the porting. On an N/A motor you can kill the intake velocity and hurt your power oiutput even though you are doing something that is done for power reasons. I would say whatever you do....do other things before you do a port and polish. And if you are going to do a PnP, make sure you are careful thats all...
Old 10-18-2002, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 *NEWBIE* need H22 guru advise! (bigblockEG)

bigblockEG is right, e careful on the porting, more power is to be gained on the H22A with intake runner modification.

And have you ever just thought about keeping it simple and going H23A turbo?