Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR swap into ek?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR swap into ek?

can I get a parts list of what all I would need to swap a gsr motor into a ek? the search function wont let me search anything.

im not sure the year of the swap im going to pick up yet.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (Flava)

what model ek? does it all ready have vtec? if not got some wiring to do!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (93DelSolSiR)

just use the gsr wire harness and save urself some time
Old 09-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (YodajdmEK4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YodajdmEK4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just use the gsr wire harness and save urself some time</TD></TR></TABLE>If its a JDM motor you cannot use the wiring harness since it is backwards, you'll just have to cut off the connectors you need from it and use your stock harness.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YodajdmEK4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just use the gsr wire harness and save urself some time</TD></TR></TABLE>

cant use a gsr harness on an ek swap anyways. integras use a 2 piece harness where ek civics use a 1 piece. . you could however harvest extra wires from the gsr harness if your swap happens to include the harness in the first place.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cant use a gsr harness on an ek swap anyways. integras use a 2 piece harness where ek civics use a 1 piece. . you could however harvest extra wires from the gsr harness if your swap happens to include the harness in the first place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you can use a gsr harness in a EK because thats exactly what I have on my EK with B18C1 swap in it
Old 09-29-2006, 10:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93DelSolSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what model ek? does it all ready have vtec? if not got some wiring to do!</TD></TR></TABLE>

no it doesnt have vtec. would it be easier to use a ex or si harness? what else would i need for the wiring harness? do i use the gsr shiftlinkage or do i need a si one? what axles do i use?

it's going to be a usdm motor.

anything else i need besides the swap, mounts?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ex or si harness from the year model whether it be a 96-98 ex or 99-00 SI or ex... its gonna plug and play. Otherwise your gonna have to run the wires for vtec solinoid, vtec oip pressure switch, and ground. Also have to convert the IACV to a 2wire instead of the 3-wire the dx and cx harness use. SInce the EK harness is one peice how is the integra harness used, unless it was used with the second half of the harness.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (GreyDel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreyDel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ex or si harness from the year model whether it be a 96-98 ex or 99-00 SI or ex... its gonna plug and play. Otherwise your gonna have to run the wires for vtec solinoid, vtec oip pressure switch, and ground. Also have to convert the IACV to a 2wire instead of the 3-wire the dx and cx harness use. SInce the EK harness is one peice how is the integra harness used, unless it was used with the second half of the harness. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ill definatly go ahead and try to find a ex or si then seems a lot easier then to run and extend those other wires.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (GreyDel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreyDel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ex or si harness from the year model whether it be a 96-98 ex or 99-00 SI or ex... its gonna plug and play. Otherwise your gonna have to run the wires for vtec solinoid, vtec oip pressure switch, and ground. Also have to convert the IACV to a 2wire instead of the 3-wire the dx and cx harness use. SInce the EK harness is one peice how is the integra harness used, unless it was used with the second half of the harness. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ill definatly go ahead and try to find a ex or si then seems a lot easier then to run and extend those other wires.

and what about the shiftlinkage and axles? also if i get an obd2 motor (my car is a 99) and want to convert to obd1, is all i need is a obd1 ecu and the conversion harness?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:58 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cant use a gsr harness on an ek swap anyways. integras use a 2 piece harness where ek civics use a 1 piece. . you could however harvest extra wires from the gsr harness if your swap happens to include the harness in the first place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. If u want it to be really easy then find an EX or SI harness. However if u wanna save $$ then use your stock harness, and splice and extend a few needed plugs from the GSR harness onto your stock one. The only extra wires u need to run is the VTEC solenoid, oil, knock sensor, and IAB. U also have to use the 2 wire IACV plug from the GSR harness
Old 09-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YodajdmEK4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes you can use a gsr harness in a EK because thats exactly what I have on my EK with B18C1 swap in it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong information is great sometimes.

I recently did this swap in my 96-98 EK.

YOU CANNOT USE AN SI HARNESS IF YOU HAVE A 96-98!!! Your gauges will not function.

Assuming the swap is OBD2 to begin with, you will have to either find a 96-98 EX harness (Damn near impossible) or modify your stock harness.

I recomend tearing apart your whole harness and redoing all of the wiring. You will need to add misc sensors for the gsr motor, asuming you are running a P72 ECU.

IAB, knock, VTEC, o2, and extend some wires: IAT, oil pressure sensor)

You will need a 99-00 SI timing belt side bracket. The one that comes with the GSR will not work with your mounts. You also need to get 99-00 SI rear L bracket, transmission mount, and the two front torque mounts. If you want to run AC, use your stock compressor and get a 97 CRV (P7J, a lot cheaper) or a 97 del sol VTEC (P54) AC bracket. You will also need the OBD2a ecu for 96-98 or OBD2b ecu for 99-00.

that's all I can remember off the top of my head.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (duggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

YOU CANNOT USE AN SI HARNESS IF YOU HAVE A 96-98!!! Your gauges will not function.

Assuming the swap is OBD2 to begin with, you will have to either find a 96-98 EX harness (Damn near impossible) or modify your stock harness.

I recomend tearing apart your whole harness and redoing all of the wiring. You will need to add misc sensors for the gsr motor, asuming you are running a P72 ECU.

You will need a 99-00 SI timing belt side bracket. The one that comes with the GSR will not work with your mounts. You also need to get 99-00 SI rear L bracket, transmission mount, and the two front torque mounts. If you want to run AC, use your stock compressor and get a 97 CRV (P7J, a lot cheaper) or a 97 del sol VTEC (P54) AC bracket. You will also need the OBD2a ecu for 96-98 or OBD2b ecu for 99-00.

that's all I can remember off the top of my head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my car is a 99 ek. i dont think i will be running a/c since its not hot anymore. if i run the innovative or hasport mount kit, will i still need a 99-00 si timing belt bracket, the rear L bracket, etc...?

also havent got an answer about the shiftlinkage and axles.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you still need those brackets regardless. Damn there is a ton of wrong information floating around on this thread. A few people are correct and props to them.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's all I can remember off the top of my head.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This guy has done a swap listen to him

Correct you don't need to use an SI harness. Alot of the people who have never done a swap on their own before always assume you need a gsr harness or Si harness. This is usually not the best way to get about it. You almost always want to adapt your stock harness unless its damaged or something. Its not real hard just extending some wires here and there and changing plugs and maybe a pin or two on the ecu plug. IF you need any specific wiring info just pm me i did the same swap on my 96.

Modified by JeffBro at 11:07 AM 9/30/2006
Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (JeffBro)

pm'ed ya.

What is the differnce between a HX wire harness and a EX harness? I have a hx, it does have vtec, a 5 wire o2, and the o2 sensor is right in the exhaust manifold. other than that, i don't think anything else is different.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (92hatchy)

you can use any b series axles and shift linkage. (just order them for the car your motor is coming out of.)
Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR swap into ek? (92hatchy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pm'ed ya.

What is the differnce between a HX wire harness and a EX harness? I have a hx, it does have vtec, a 5 wire o2, and the o2 sensor is right in the exhaust manifold. other than that, i don't think anything else is different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the secondary o2 sensor is located right below the cat on the manifold compared to an ex where its behind the cat under the oilpan so you will need to extend the wires. umm. you will have an extra clip that would connect to the egr valve on the hx next to the fuel rail so it can just be ignored, umm thats all I can think of when I did my swap (started with an HX)
Old 10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone needs do just put him a list of what he needs. way to complicating. Now how can you use a Integra wiring harness when the civics are a 2 piece design while the integras are a 3 piece design?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go back up to the sticky and there is a complete write up with a parts list including numbers and katmans wiring diagrams....

I just did a 98 gsr into my 98 hatch but used the obd2a ecu.. You need the two mount b rackets mentioned and you are going to reuse the civic rubber pieces.. I used my dx harness and just added iab, vtec and ckf sensor.. The secondary o2 had to be extended as well to reach the cat.. If the swap you buy has the harness on it just unpin the plugs you need and run new wires. Thats what i did... ANy b series axles and shift linkage will work for you... Hopefully the swap you get should come with all of that... make sure you get the throttle cable with the gsr swap as well.. You might need to add a couple of washers on the pedal side to take up some of the slack..

If you hadn't planned on doing it might as well get a timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and if you are pulling the tranny off to do a clutch or anything might as well replace the rear main seal as well...

Get it all done the first time while the motor is out of the car.. It's way easier...