Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gathering EK wiring information ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 hatch. Is there an ecu that would plug in w/o harnesses or modification? p73?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (cruizinmax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cruizinmax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 99 hatch. Is there an ecu that would plug in w/o harnesses or modification? p73?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any of these ecu's will plug n' play:

- Si coupe ecu
- 00-01 U.S. GSR or ITR ecu w/removed immobilizer
- 00 JDM CTR ECU
- There is no JDM P73 ecu that has OBD2b style plugs sorry. You'd need a OBD2b-OBD2a jumper harness in order to use a JDM P73 ecu or any other OBD2a ecu for that matter.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Katman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Any of these ecu's will plug n' play:

- Si coupe ecu
- 00-01 U.S. GSR or ITR ecu w/removed immobilizer
- 00 JDM CTR ECU
- There is no JDM P73 ecu that has OBD2b style plugs sorry. You'd need a OBD2b-OBD2a jumper harness in order to use a JDM P73 ecu or any other OBD2a ecu for that matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info.

Max
Old 11-03-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if im putting in a 98 gsr in my 99 civic dx coupe, and im using a 99 civic si wiring harness with an obd2b to obd1 jumper and gsr ecu, how would i go about wiring some stuff like i think the ivac or somehting or what do i have to re wire? if i do an ecu scan with the cel reader, will it look for codes and read or will their be a linking error since its obdi? do i ask people at autozone to get an obd1 reader or obd2 reader?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ejcivicdee)

im in the middle of my swap and im trying to figure out the wiring part.
i have a 97 jdm itr and i bought a 97 ex engine harness for simplicity.

i printed out the 97 ex engine harness diagram from the helms that tells u what all the plugs are but im still having a bit of trouble figuring what plugs connect to what sensors.

do u have another diagram perhaps that would make it easier for my to plug the 97 ex harness to my 97 itr?

i figured out some of the plugs but there are some that dont seem to reach, i read that it is necesarry to extend the IACV sensor and Crank fluctuation sensor on the harness inorder for it to reach the proper location on the itr motor, are there ANYMORE THAT need to be extended? or is it those and only those 2? any input would be appreciated katman.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used my 96 dx harness and converted to obd1 with a harness. My motor is a 98 gsr and I have no codes thanks katman.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay so ive tried using different ecus and im still throwing that pesky ckf code. I have the sensor on my oil pump and it is brand new. I tested my plugs with a test light and i do have a connection. What could possibly be the problem?

update
after some googling i found out that the jdm block does not have the right crank sprocket
example here taken from http://www.superhonda.com/foru...33186

so i did the ckp fix that i found on h-t and no more codes!!!! best day ever

Modified by b20izzle at 12:05 AM 11/12/2005
Old 11-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cruizinmax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the info.

Max</TD></TR></TABLE>

no problem!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejcivicdee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if im putting in a 98 gsr in my 99 civic dx coupe, and im using a 99 civic si wiring harness with an obd2b to obd1 jumper and gsr ecu, how would i go about wiring some stuff like i think the ivac or somehting or what do i have to re wire? if i do an ecu scan with the cel reader, will it look for codes and read or will their be a linking error since its obdi? do i ask people at autozone to get an obd1 reader or obd2 reader?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't need to wire or rewire anything if you use the EX harness, everythings already prewired from the factory. I'm not sure if an OBD2 scanner will work on reading an OBD1 ecu, but it might - try it and report back! Normally, with OBD1 ecu's, you just jump the diagnostic plug thats under the passenger side dash area, count the CEL blinks and go off that to see what codes are being thrown.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akteamster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im in the middle of my swap and im trying to figure out the wiring part. i have a 97 jdm itr and i bought a 97 ex engine harness for simplicity.

i printed out the 97 ex engine harness diagram from the helms that tells u what all the plugs are but im still having a bit of trouble figuring what plugs connect to what sensors. do u have another diagram perhaps that would make it easier for my to plug the 97 ex harness to my 97 itr?

i figured out some of the plugs but there are some that dont seem to reach, i read that it is necesarry to extend the IACV sensor and Crank fluctuation sensor on the harness inorder for it to reach the proper location on the itr motor, are there ANYMORE THAT need to be extended? or is it those and only those 2? any input would be appreciated katman.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You might possibly need to extend the VTEC solenoid wire/plug too. BTW, if you recall, there is no CKF sensor on a JDM ITR engines, as there is on US OBD2 engines.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20izzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
update
after some googling i found out that the jdm block does not have the right crank sprocket
example here taken from http://www.superhonda.com/foru...33186

so i did the ckp fix that i found on h-t and no more codes!!!! best day ever
</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice find B20izzle
Old 11-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't recall if I linked this yet, but here's a nice trick for people performing an OBD1 engine swap into an OBD2 vehicle & using an OBD2 US ecu:

(CKF trick)
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1029958
Old 11-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can't recall if I linked this yet, but here's a nice trick for people performing an OBD1 engine swap into an OBD2 vehicle & using an OBD2 US ecu:

(CKF trick)
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1029958</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the trick i used and it worked!!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default help !

can one give me some info on using a obd2b 00 type r ecu in my 01 gsr it plugs in but wont start because of immobilizer, is it in my car or ecu and how can i bypass it ?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD1 engine into an OBD2 vehicle........my95 gsr into my 98 ek hatch with stock harness....what else needs to be modified...ive got obd2 ls injectors that ill be using
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R.Kelley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R.Kelley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OBD1 engine into an OBD2 vehicle........my95 gsr into my 98 ek hatch with stock harness....what else needs to be modified...ive got obd2 ls injectors that ill be using </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok...
- reuse your EK harness and perform the mods listed in my diagram here (add vtec solenoid + VTPS wiring & IACV mod):
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...8.jpg
and
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...g.jpg

- Since you're using an OBD1 engine you can either convert your EK engine wire harness distributor plug over to an OBD1 style dizzy plug or get an OBD2 B-series VTEC dizzy (which I suggest - plug n' play) and the same goes for the alternator plugs as well. The IAT sensor you can keep as-is or convert to an OBD1 style IAT sensor.

- ECU...you'll have to convert to OBD1 via jumper harness

- motor mounts... reuse your civic's TOP tranny mount, use the integra FRONT tranny bracket and A/C bracket, you'll need to run a 99-00 Si rear engine bracket and change the timing belt side 3-post mount over to an Si coupe's dual-post mount as seen here:

- shift linkage...reuse the integra linkage
- axles...reuse the complete integra axles

that should be in unless i'm leaving something out...
Old 05-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

updated the OBD1 wire pin out page on my tech site for those that care
Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok...
- reuse your EK harness and perform the mods listed in my diagram here (add vtec solenoid + VTPS wiring & IACV mod):
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...8.jpg
and
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...g.jpg

- Since you're using an OBD1 engine you can either convert your EK engine wire harness distributor plug over to an OBD1 style dizzy plug or get an OBD2 B-series VTEC dizzy (which I suggest - plug n' play) and the same goes for the alternator plugs as well. The IAT sensor you can keep as-is or convert to an OBD1 style IAT sensor.

- ECU...you'll have to convert to OBD1 via jumper harness

- motor mounts... reuse your civic's TOP tranny mount, use the integra FRONT tranny bracket and A/C bracket, you'll need to run a 99-00 Si rear engine bracket and change the timing belt side 3-post mount over to an Si coupe's dual-post mount as seen here:

- shift linkage...reuse the integra linkage
- axles...reuse the complete integra axles

that should be in unless i'm leaving something out... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm doing the same swap into a 96 ex manual coupe. I have a 94 obd1 us gsr motor and was planning on putting on my ex engine harness on it. You said the dizzy and alternator plugs have to be changed if i wanna keep the obd1 dizzy on it right? Well the motor was originally in a 91 hatch obd1 and it used the 91 harness. Could i use the dizzy and alt. plugs off that harness?? Also would my d-series alt fit on the b-series so i wouldnt have to fix the plug? I'm using the gsr manifold so where would i have to wire up IAT sensor to? I only have to wire up 1 02 sensor right? Thanx alot
Old 07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigheadedhatch91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigheadedhatch91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm doing the same swap into a 96 ex manual coupe. I have a 94 obd1 us gsr motor and was planning on putting on my ex engine harness on it. You said the dizzy and alternator plugs have to be changed if i wanna keep the obd1 dizzy on it right? Well the motor was originally in a 91 hatch obd1 and it used the 91 harness. Could i use the dizzy and alt. plugs off that harness?? Also would my d-series alt fit on the b-series so i wouldnt have to fix the plug? I'm using the gsr manifold so where would i have to wire up IAT sensor to? I only have to wire up 1 02 sensor right? Thanx alot </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if that 91 hatch was converted to OBD1, then they had to have converted the dizzy plugs to OBD1 plugs. so you'll need those for sure and adapt them to your EX harness as well as the alternator plugs (yes you can use the alternator plugs and adapt them to your EX harness). No, your D-series ALT will not work on a B-series engine.

The IAT sensor is located on the GSR intake manifold, so you can either extend your IAT wiring to utilize the GSR IAT sensor, or just leave it there unused, and reuse your EX IAT sensor that plugs into your intake pipe area.

You only need to use one 02 sensor if you wind up using an OBD1 ecu or JDM OBD2 ecu. If you use a US OBD2 ecu, then you'll need two 02 sensors.

You can reuse the injectors from your EX engine on the GSR engine. This will be convenient because you won't have to change your injector plugs to OBD1 spec, and don't wory, GSR and EX injectors share the same spec.

Otherwise you can try and get an OBD2 B-series alternator and OBD2 B-series VTEC dizzy and not worry about doing any re-wiring.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man, i have a ? i'm getting a 00' JDM b18C-R into my 00 EK. As far as my understanding both vehicles are OBD2b, with slight differences. I'm getting my swap from Hmotors in which i will be receiving everything, including the ECU (P73) and engine harness. I inted on using the P73 and the ITR harness. So my ? is if i'm going to be using these would it be a P'n P' or do i need to do something else. I know if i use my stock Ek harness i have to wire a few other things. Well i hope you can clear this up for me and send me on to the right path....
Old 07-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jime64871)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jime64871 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man, i have a ? i'm getting a 00' JDM b18C-R into my 00 EK. As far as my understanding both vehicles are OBD2b, with slight differences. I'm getting my swap from Hmotors in which i will be receiving everything, including the ECU (P73) and engine harness. I inted on using the P73 and the ITR harness. So my ? is if i'm going to be using these would it be a P'n P' or do i need to do something else. I know if i use my stock Ek harness i have to wire a few other things. Well i hope you can clear this up for me and send me on to the right path....</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, no one reads..

RULE OF THUMB

you can't use any Integra harness in an EK because they're a 2-piece design!

You can only use an EK harness on whatever motor you put in an EK chassis because EK's are the only civic chassis that use a 1-piece engine harnes. So, in your case, you'd reuse your EK harness or to make life easier use a 99-00 Si/EX harness because it will cut back on wiring in VTEC, the knock sensor, and NOT have to perform the IACV mod....basically making the wiring aspect of the swap PnP. Don't worry, about 95% of the Si/EX will be compatible with the ITR's sensors, ignition, etc. You just might have to extend the wires for the IAT sensor so you can use the ITR's IAT sensor or just reuse your existing IAT sensor. IT doesn't matter which one you use, they both work the same way and they're exactly the same, just in different locations.

As for the P73 ecu, you'll have to buy a OBD2b-&gt;OBD2a jumper harness in order to adapt the ecu.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh, well what is the best route to allow for chip'n the ECU. In regards to OBD after modding the engine and ECU.What would be the best way to set the harness for. OBD2A, OBD1, etc...
1) Would the P73 be allowed for chip'n
2) Will OBD2A allow for extensive mods?
3) What other ECU's can i use, or the P73 be the best bet for the ITR motor?

Also, if i choose to use my stock harness can i still use the P73 w/o a jumper harness?

input is appreciated...
Old 07-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jime64871)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jime64871 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ohh, well what is the best route to allow for chip'n the ECU. In regards to OBD after modding the engine and ECU.What would be the best way to set the harness for. OBD2A, OBD1, etc...
1) Would the P73 be allowed for chip'n
2) Will OBD2A allow for extensive mods?
3) What other ECU's can i use, or the P73 be the best bet for the ITR motor?

Also, if i choose to use my stock harness can i still use the P73 w/o a jumper harness?

input is appreciated...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand...what do you mean by "chip'n" ? You mean have an ecu reprogrammed?

1) Any OBD2 ecu is rare to have chipped. No one really offers OBD2 ecu reprogramming. You'd find more reprogrammed JDM OBD2 ecu's than anything and even those are still sorta rare.

2) You can still mod your car no matter what OBD type your Honda vehicle is.

3) The P73 ecu is the perfect ecu to run on a stock ITR engine. I mean, its designed for it, ya know?

As for reprorgamming, what most people do in this scenerio (who want to run a chipped/reprogrammed ecu) is convert to OBD1 and run a reprogrammed OBD1 VTEC ecu, such as a P28, P30, P08, etc., via OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness converter.

The only ITR ecu that will plug into your 00 EK harness is a a US OBD2b (00-01) ITR ecu. It will plug n' play directly into your EK harness, but you'll have to have the Immobilizer removed and perform a ecu pin swap (for fuel pump relay) in order for yor car to start. The JDM ITR ecu will not be compatible with your EK's wire harness unless you run an jumper harness. The plugs differ.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey Katman i had a question about a 99-00 OBDII b16a or a b16b into a 00 EX.

using the 00 EX harness.

also i wanted to ask if the buddy club spec III exhaust for an ek will work or will he have to get a different cat? or get a test pipe??

thanks

pm me or email me at circa86@gmail.com

-andrew
Old 07-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

chip'n........yeah reprogramming, but you already clear everything for me
thanks for the help. can't wait for my swap to come in this friday!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (circa86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by circa86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey Katman i had a question about a 99-00 OBDII b16a or a b16b into a 00 EX.

using the 00 EX harness.

yeah? and your question is???
you can use your 00 EX harness on any 96-00 B-series engine JDM or US, if that's what you're wondering.

also i wanted to ask if the buddy club spec III exhaust for an ek will work or will he have to get a different cat? or get a test pipe??

dude, I have no idea. Please stick to the topic!

thanks

pm me or email me at circa86@gmail.com

-andrew</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh sorry about that, my friend is deciding to go with B18C1 into his 00 EX.

the 00EX harness is not plug and play is it? with a OBDII Jdm B18C1 using the JDM ecu.? are any of the JDM B18C1 ECU's OBDIIb? if not he can just get a obdIIa &gt; obdIIb adapter harness i'm guessing.

From what i read it will basically be plug and play except for maybe extending some wires? is that correct? does he have to worry about an imobilizer using the 00-01 jdm ecu?

i think i understand everything but the b18c dual butteryfly IAB control, will he just need to run a new wire to this pin? or move a wire?

since he will be using the jdm ecu he gets with the complete swap we should be golden right? we don't have to worry about CKF bybass or anything?

thanks for all the info, unbelievably helpful

Modified by circa86 at 4:14 PM 7/19/2006

Quick Reply: Gathering EK wiring information ...