Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Frive Explanation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Frive Explanation?

Okay, so i've been looking at the specs for the '96ITR and the '98+ITR and the two main differences are the header and the final drive. I went to this link to find all the specs on the different motors.

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/bseries.html

Whats the benefit of having a larger final drive?
Because these motors are different will one have better gas mileage than the other and still produce the same amount of power?
For the valve specs, is it better to have a higher degree before TDC or lower?

With all this said and done, what motor would u choose?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Final Frive Explanation? (xkwzt21)

I'm kind of wondering why you thought to post this in the Hybrid forum as opposed to the Integra Type-R forum.

Anyways, a higher final drive will essential make all of your gearing lower. If you don't understand me now, I'll give you a very rough example.

If you are revving at around 5k with a 4.2 final drive and you are in third gear you will be doing 50mph.
If you are revving at around 5k with a 4.9 final drive and you are in third gear you will be doing 42mph.

But like I said, very rough example. Guys correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a bad day here at the office.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Final Frive Explanation? (xkwzt21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xkwzt21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats the benefit of having a larger final drive?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Having a lower gear (high number) will not increase your HP but, it will accelerate faster BUT take away from your top speed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xkwzt21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because these motors are different will one have better gas mileage than the other and still produce the same amount of power?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will produce the same HP. MPG will be determined by you right foot.