Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fifth time Axle pops out

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fifth time Axle pops out

I have a ls motor and runing and b16 hydro tranny. Everything runs great (motor is strong and no grinding tranny. But get this....i have been driving the car for like about a week now and the passenger side axle keeps poping out. Everytime..i had to stop in the middle of the rode and fix it

i am using the 94+intergra axle to go in the b16 tranny. I even made the snap ring a little bit bigger the 4th time it was poped out. My question is that should i be using the SI axles instead of the Teg?? Anyone have this annoying problem? Thanks
Old 08-22-2003, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (ProJectCvic)

well...to me, it looks like the axle is too short and it is strecthing the boot. what do you guys think?
Old 08-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All i have to say is how the heck is your axle popping IN and OUT? Is it popping in and out of the tranny or the hub? In reality, with the axle in place and the axle nut on..it's impossible for an axle to pop out. I assume it's popping out of the tranny, and if this is the case, i still can't see how it can pop out.

If you are able to go on the side of the road and not spend about 1 hour+ putting the axle back in..something is dearly wrong. I'm pretty certain that B16 and B18 axles are the same.

Danny
Old 08-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (R6Elmo)

yea the axles are the same something is wrong definetly
Old 08-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (drvfast)

look inside the differental and make sure an old snap ring isnt in there. also you might want to just shell out the 80$ and get a new axle to see what happens.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (drvfast)

Way wrong.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (92b16vx)

like someone previously posted. your axles are too short therefore on the inner sied of the axle inside the boot there a 3 bearings that connect the axle together inside the boot and allow it to flex around like the axle does. they are supposed to pop out but in your case you need a longer axle to accomidate your set-up
Old 08-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (igotsol!)

More than likely it isn't to short, the spider and rollers have a good inch to inch and a half of play, and that is more than enough to take up the slack. I'd look for a extra seal that got left behind or a dust shield that doesn't belong. Also I tihnk it was mentioned before or in another post, maybe the old snap ring is in there and not letting the new one lock, or the snap ring on your axle is worn.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (92b16vx)

are u sure that you are putting the axle all the way in...

usually they go in, and stay in, click in, and dont come out unless u have a pry bar...

my guess is that your sliding the axle in, but its not seating, IE because ur just pushing it in w/ your hands... or there is an old snap ring stuck inside...

Old 08-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (irev210)

I had the same trouble with my 88 Civic STD winter beater. I bought rebuilt axles from Advanced Auto and the passenger side was too short, like about 1.5" but I never knew it until after having installed it. If I would make a sharp turn it would pop out of the tranny enough to where the splines never locked. It took trading it in for another one 3 times so on my 4th axle all was good.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (VTECVillain)

i recently replace the axles..definatly the wrong axles i got. The old one was too short......but get this....it did the same thing. So...i know that length is not an issue anymore. In addition, I am deffiently doing right b/c i do it all the time at the body shop I work for. So...installation is not an issue. I also check the diff in the tranny.....nothing is wrong no old snap ring. Looks great even. Man...i am on campus now and can't work on it till I get home this labor day weekend. I don't know what the hell to do...maybe, i did install it incorrectely. Any more suggection?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this happen to me recently too.... the axle would pop out about 1/2" on the pass side and no matter how much I spread the snap ring it would not stay. I bought a 94+teg ls axle which was a little longer and it hasnt popped out since.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:39 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (fastwanabe)

The correct thing to do is to use the Prelude inner joint. If you look at the Prelude joint, and then at the Integra joint, you'll see the input shaft (part with the snap ring / C-clip on it) is longer on the Prelude joint. Thus, it'll go all the way into the Prelude transmission and "lock" into place, where as the Integra joint will not make it in all the way to "lock" into place but if you expand the snap ring, it'll "hold" it in place from slipping out, but is not the best method. Also, the Prelude joint has a deeper cup, so it'll allow for more play with the axle shaft and reduce any binding problems.

EDIT -- Whoa... I need to read the FIRST post in here before I reply . But since what I wrote will have some use towards the H22 folks, I'll leave it here. Otherwise, check the joints on the B-series axles and check out the diff and axle seal on the tranny... make sure that's all ok as well.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had that happen to me w/ a jspec tranny in a 93 civic hatch w/ a crvetc swap and the axle would come out like a half an inch on the tranny side on the passanger side. id had to stop get out and fa-ness it back into place. so i went to auto zone and bout a axle for a 1996 del sol dohc and it was slightly longer and it corrected the problem and it only cost 80$. try that
Old 08-28-2003, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Fifth time Axle pops out (93lambocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93lambocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had that happen to me w/ a jspec tranny in a 93 civic hatch w/ a crvetc swap and the axle would come out like a half an inch on the tranny side on the passanger side. id had to stop get out and fa-ness it back into place. so i went to auto zone and bout a axle for a 1996 del sol dohc and it was slightly longer and it corrected the problem and it only cost 80$. try that</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am afraid the Del Sol axles are the same length as any 94+ Integra. Umm....i guess i'll just make the ring a little bit and try that again.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:03 PM

happend to me once and ended up being a bad tranny
Old 08-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the axle are too short then it will cause that to pop out, with a short axle and when making a left, right or U-turn, the axle will pop out, just find a axle that is a little longer then the on you have
Old 08-29-2003, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jacklee)

yea thats easier said then done
Old 09-01-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Re: (93lambocivic)

okay guys....it's been 200 miles and it hasn't poop out since. I believe the problem may be fix. But to those of you that have the same problem...USE THE RIGHT axle (the guy at autopart gave me a f@#$ up rebuilt axle), also you can make the snap ring big to have a more secure fit. But props to all of you that posted. Thanks

PS. hope i don't come on here with the same problem.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:40 PM

Default Re: (ProJectCvic)

my friend had the same problem with his axel coming out....the problem with his was that if you use USDM integra or del sol axels and you bought an older b16 swap they sometimes come with a shorter length intermediate shaft. Let me know if that makes sense. This might help anyone having similar problems. Use a 90-93 Integra intermediate shaft to get the right fit with USDM axels.