Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast idle thermo valve??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 04:10 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast idle thermo valve??

Ok i've got a '99 gsr motor. My idle is all messed up reving from like 1200 to 1700 rpm's when the motor is cold. When the car warms up, everythin is good and it doesnt happen anymore. From what ive read up on this, it has to be the fast idle thermo valve. I checked EVERYTHING else. One problem though--everything on this forum is for 94-95 gsr's where the fast idle valve is under the TB. Mine doesnt have it under there. Is the fast idle thermo valve in a different location? I've checked another '99 gsr TB and its the same as mine. Oh by the way, im runnin a skunk2 conversion harness and a '95 gsr ecu. Any help would be great...
Old 11-27-2001, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fast idle thermo valve?? (Notorious1GF)

My hybrid's idle is GOING crazy now that it's gotten cold (20 degrees today).

I'll have to check that valve and see if that will work. My idle has been jumping from 2500 to 1000 RPMs... VERY ANNOYING. I was in the drive thru at McDonald's pissing everyone off. They all thought I was some riceboy revving on the world.

I do have a question though... Could a bad O2 sensor cause this??

[Modified by Yellow Dragon, 7:38 PM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-28-2001, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fast idle thermo valve?? (Yellow Dragon)

How and where do you check that valve? My motor 94 GSR is doing the same thing. It used to do it only when cold but no it does it all the time.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:08 PM
New User

Default Re: Fast idle thermo valve?? (HOND PWR)

I dont know really how to check it, but it is bolted to the underside of the throttle body with 3 small bolts.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:42 PM
Trial User

From the Helms manual:

To prevent erratic running when the engine is warming up, it is necessary to rais the idle speed. The fast idle thermo valve is controlled by a thermowax plunger. When the engine is cold, the engine coolant surrounding the thermowax contracts the plunger, allowing additional air to be bypassed into the intake manifold so that the engine idles faster. When the engine reaches operatiing temp, the valve closes, reducing the amoun of air bypassing into the manifold.

To test:

1. Remove the intake air duct(intake pipe) from the throttle body.
2. Start the engine
3. Put your finger over the lower port in the throttle body and make sure that there is air flow with the engine cold.
* If not, replace the fast idle thermo valve and retest
4. Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3K rpm with no load(neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let idle
5. Check that the valve is completely closed. If not, air suction can be felt at the lower port in the throttle body.
* If any suction is felt, the valve is leaking. Check engine coolant level and for air in the engine coolant system. If OK, replace the fast idle thermo valve and recheck.

Hope this helps!...I think I've got to much time on my hands...
Old 11-28-2001, 09:22 PM

My fast idle valve started sticking open these last few weeks. Car was idleing at amost 3k when cold! I swapped a spare one from another throttle body i had, but from the looks of it it could probably be cleaned out with some spray. It was a little cacked with carbon, but i had a spare so i didnt mess with cleaning it.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fast idle thermo valve?? (Yellow Dragon)

Well, I think I fixed my hybrid tonight.

All I did was take some advice...started my car up with the radiator cap OFF. Then ran it until it warmed up. I kept adding coolant/water and it kept bubbling like crazy...well, I finally got it to stop bubbling and topped off the coolant. It worked!!! My idle is just fine now, AND my hybrid's temp is staying just barely under 1/2 on the gauge.

FYI ~ the guy I talked to at our local Acura dealer told me that he's never sold a Fast Idle TV ever. Hmm...makes you think they don't usually go bad. My suggestion is trying a few other tricks, maybe bleeding your coolant system will work like it did for me!

-Todd
Old 11-29-2001, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fix my car today... Bad thermo valve. I replaced it with a used one. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:29 AM
New User

Ok, im glad everybody else is fixing their cars with this problem but im still screwed. Does anybody happen to have a helms for a '99 gsr? Please look for the fast idle valve and tell me where the hell it is/if it has one and how to check it? I've seen a '94 gsr helms and it listed the same methods to check it as listed above. My TB doesn't have a lower port opening in it, so im thinkin acura made a few changes over the years with the idle system. Let me know if you have any info. Thanks...
Old 11-29-2001, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go into your local Acura parts dept and they will most likely print you off a schematic you can reference.

Good luck.

Turns out I DIDN'T quite fix my problem. I backed up from my driveway this morning ONLY TO FIND...a puddle of coolant.

Time to fix it tonight.