Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F22B1 swap in my 1g '87 CRX Si!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22B1 swap in my 1g '87 CRX Si!

I know it's an Accord motor, and why don't I just swap in a B-series id be a hella easier but... at 145hp@5500/147lb-ft@4500 with a 8.8:1 compression ratio and Iron sleeves it makes for a great inexpensive Turbo motor! Remember now, my chassis weighs a mere 1700lbs, it doesn't have A/C, pwr. steering, emissions, or a radio for that matter! I live in Pittsburgh, lotsa hills and city driving so a high-rev built eng. is not a concern, and would be a waste of $. I want Torque meng! N/A this motor gots plenty juice for my rex to be quite a ride. And I've read on here that @10lbs. of boost were talkin around 300 reliable horsies! Mods? What mods? I don't need no stinking mods.
But seriously this is just a thought, I know there's a lot of trouble in fabrication and fitment and alot of you will say just get a "B" but this is a "forum" right? So, let's discuss this. Give me your thoughts, ideas, experiences. If you disagree, cool, then tell me why.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just throw a dohc h22 head on that bad boy...youll have the flow...iron sleeves...and a light *** car....then that thing will rip!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: (drumking15)

damn man thats gonna be a lot of work, almost seems to me like swapping in b18 or B16 would be easier and therefore cheaper leaving you with more money to do stuff, but i have to admit it would be sweet as hell to have a turbo F22 in my 1g, ive got a B16 and I ******* love it, your going to have a blast whicever way you go man.
Good luck!

Matt

Edit: How much would the whole set up cost you for the F22 and the turbo kit with the instalation? I dont know how much money you have to work with what have you thought about the K20, i know there was a guy from Australia putting one into his first gen civic.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (madhatter07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by madhatter07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn man thats gonna be a lot of work, almost seems to me like swapping in b18 or B16 would be easier and therefore cheaper leaving you with more money to do stuff,

Edit: How much would the whole set up cost you for the F22 and the turbo kit with the instalation? I dont know how much money you have to work with what have you thought about the K20, i know there was a guy from Australia putting one into his first gen civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't priced anything out yet, as this is just a thought. I was interested in a B20 but when I started to think of cost: new motor$$$, and Hasport Kit$600...etc. I thought damn, where can I reliably save money? So, I took a step back and looked at this:

And that's when I saw the Accord's F22B1 specs. There pretty impressive from my chassis's standpoint. More torque, which is what I want and what most Honda's traditionally lacked. Good hp, a Great compression ratio and Iron sleeves. If that wasn't enough, it's a mid to late 90's Sohc Non-Vtec? Accord motor! What "B"-boy in the import scene wants that?? So demand is low, Accords are plentiful, and the price should reflect that. I'd have no problem boosting a compression tested motor with 90k and a timing service! As far as the Turbo kit goes, I'd go custom and do it cheap but Reliable. Junkyard IC, DSM injectors, Saab ? turbo, Uberdata or some ****

Anyway, the things that concern me are,
1.) The F22 tilts toward the rear unlike the d or b series which both tilt forward....
2.) What tranny can I use with this block for the best gearing for my chassis??
and 3.) The F22 has a front eng. mount that my chassis has no room for...Will this be a problem for the mount fabricator and ultimately put this thread to rest???

Thanks for the positive responses

Modified by rexman at 10:03 PM 11/20/2004
Old 11-21-2004, 06:40 AM

I dont disagree with your Avatar...But hey, this is a Hybrid Forum...Id say go for it...Being different is always good...Usually...
Old 11-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaybee)

As a fellow 1G owner, I don't think it's a bad idea. It would be a pretty sweet ride, and be original. The biggest obstacle you are going to face in this is the driveshafts. Mounts can be fabricated, and somehow I'm sure you can get it wired but how to put the power down? You might be able to use 86-89 Integra hubs and outer CV's with something else, I don't know.

As far as the motor tilting back, you would just have to try a fit test and see what it hits if anything.

You would want to use the stock tranny due to the longer gearing. A H22 tranny would be shorter geared and better for acceleration, but the F22 doesn't rev high enough to take advantage of it. You'd be in 5th gear by the end of the drag strip(maybe not but you get my point).

Now as far as money goes I think it is going to be more expensive than going B series. I know you gotta buy a lot of stuff, but the whole F22 thing is going to be custom one off stuff and it aint gonna be cheap either.

I'm building an LSVTEC right now for mine and I'm at about $700. I have the LS block, and a whole B16 to get parts off of. So I should be under $2k when it's all done. You just have to look around and you can find B series stuff reasonable.

Good luck whatever you decide to do and post some pics!
Also check out http://www.redpepperracing.com
Old 11-21-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Re: (crxhybrid85)

Rexman I'm lovin the idea man. This is a build I have been waiting to see or hear about. I'm not hating on the B-Series at all but it's way over done in EVERYTHING! So props to being orginal.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:07 AM

go with the f22, its cheaper than the b16,18. It has good torque and seems like itd be awsome to turbo. I say go for it cause it would be a 1700 pound rocket.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F22B1 swap in my 1g '87 CRX Si! (rexman)

As far as I know the F22 doesn't have iron sleeves. It has FRM sleeves. It should hold 10#s but watch the ringlands. Focus on good tuning.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: F22B1 swap in my 1g '87 CRX Si! (EKhothatch)

good idea
Old 11-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

f22s do have cast iron sleeves, or at least for a 1mm overbore then i ve heard it goes to somethin different maybe frm. i think it would be a nice little project. f22s have a lot of potential and they are cheap. if your goin through all this trouble anyway it may be better to have an adapter plate made up for a d or b series tranny, number one to help with gearing and i think it would make the mounts simpler. just an opinion though. i d buy some forged internals, maybe a little head porting, intake manifold, and boost the crap out of it.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:08 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

iron sleeves in teh f22/23 engines. its a good plan, fab up some mounts and get some custom axles then go race it, it should be a lot of fun. then boost it and if you blow the engine its easy as hell to replace since those f22 engiens are pretty much throwaways for swapping people.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

Like v4lu3s said many people don't think much about the f motors, sort of like d series motors so if you blow it up you can get a cheap replacement. That is why I am stickin giwt d-series to learn on for now so incase I blow it up, it wont cost too too much to fix.

Jon
Old 11-25-2004, 08:49 PM

F motors have iron sleeves....end of story get some suzuki vitari pistons and now you have cheap forged pistons....geta h22 head....not you have one hell of a hybrid motor that can take a beating of boost and be hella cheap
Old 11-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um d series bore=75mm f series=85mm vitara pistons won t work just in case you didn t know
Old 11-26-2004, 01:12 AM

Default Re: F22B1 swap in my 1g '87 CRX Si! (civdx94)

Is that possible F22 cylinder block + H22 cylinder Head? First time hear something like that!

Old 11-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (drumking15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">F motors have iron sleeves....end of story get some suzuki vitari pistons and now you have cheap forged pistons....geta h22 head....not you have one hell of a hybrid motor that can take a beating of boost and be hella cheap </TD></TR></TABLE>

The Suzuki Vitara pistons are NOT forged!
Old 11-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get some suzuki vitari pistons and now you have cheap forged pistons....geta h22 head....not you have one hell of a hybrid motor that can take a beating of boost and be hella cheap </TD></TR></TABLE>
you are ghey.

I am not ghetto.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civdx94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">f22s do have cast iron sleeves, or at least for a 1mm overbore then i ve heard it goes to somethin different maybe frm. i think it would be a nice little project. f22s have a lot of potential and they are cheap. if your goin through all this trouble anyway it may be better to have an adapter plate made up for a d or b series tranny, number one to help with gearing and i think it would make the mounts simpler. just an opinion though. i d buy some forged internals, maybe a little head porting, intake manifold, and boost the crap out of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't think an old 84-87 tran. could handle the torque/power.
I'm thinking stock 5spd. from the EX would be the best.

What's FRM stand for?

Thanks for all the comments.
But could all the retards keep to themselves.
You know who you are. shh.

rexman
Old 11-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (rexman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rexman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are ghey
I am not ghetto...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is wrong with an H-series head swap? It has been done and it is no more ghetto than any LSVTEC, let alone your F series SOHC in a CRX.

read this: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=776837

If you do not like people making suggestions then don't bother posting on this board. Biggot

Pirate
Old 11-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PirateMcFred)

Look McFred, I appreciate your links and all but I wasn't talking 'bout the H-head swap. I was talkin 'bout the Vitara piston crap.
Now go read before you post, your makin all the other pirates look bad.
Illiterate pirates
Old 11-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rexman)

i believe FRM stands for fiber reinforced metal or somethin along those lines, its used on h22/h23, s2k and nsx. and i believe your right on the money with ex/si tranny, although i would have to say they are probably close to the same strength as your ew but with better gearing. should make for a nice little combination maybe a little obx lsd action?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civdx94)

i think that the stock f22 5spd would be your best tranny since it has the longer gears which is better for turbo.

i just recent acuired an f22a7 sohc non vtec and am thinking about putting the h23 head on there and boost that
Old 11-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Deckedlude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deckedlude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think that the stock f22 5spd would be your best tranny since it has the longer gears which is better for turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Longer gears are not better for turbo! Everyone says that! Why? Short gear ratios are the best for acceleration no matter what. If you have a low revving engine, that makes a little torque, you need longer gears for drivability.

So in this guys case I would say to just use the EX tranny. It was after all geared by Honda for that particular motor.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F22B1 swap in my 1g '87 CRX Si! (civdx94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civdx94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">f22s do have cast iron sleeves, or at least for a 1mm overbore then i ve heard it goes to somethin different maybe frm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the same the H22, correct? Its lined with Iron but the sleeves are FRM. Why would they change that from the F and H series?

Old 11-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxhybrid85)

torque+long gears= acceleration

no torque+short gears= acceleration

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhothatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thats the same the H22, correct? Its lined with Iron but the sleeves are FRM. Why would they change that from the F and H series?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, the h22 and h23 both have all frm sleeves

Quick Reply: F22B1 swap in my 1g '87 CRX Si!