Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EX head -> DX block - Specific questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX head -> DX block - Specific questions!

***I have read the previous posts on this topic but they were all for CRX's. Also, before anyone tells me to get a swap instead of doing this, a swap is NOT an option***

I have a 2000 Civic D16Y7(DX) motor and am getting a real good deal from my friend on his D16Z6 SOHC VTEC ported & polished head -and- the EX intake manifold. Now, what I need to know is EXACTLY what else I need to get in order to do this conversion.

This is what I will get:
---------------------------------------
- D16Z6 head (complete)
- D16Z6 intake manifold/throttle body (missing IAC sensor)
- D16Z6 fuel rail

What else will I need??? All I can think of is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- gaskets for head, exhaust manifold, intake manifold (or since my car is still new can I use the existing gaskets?)
- 96+ EX SOHC VTEC ECU

First off, WILL THIS WORK? I mean putting a 1995 head on a 2000 block? (i'm worried about the OBD issues - however im thinking if I get a newer ECU 96+ OBD II -or- III, then I should be okay). Please fill me in if i'm wrong or any details would be helpful.

Also, I know the fuel injectors are NOT included. Will I be able to use my current one from my DX?

Any other parts needed missing (please list ALL the parts i would need!), issues, tips would be appreciated. The main thing that concerns me is the OBD issue since the head is off an OBD1 and the block is OBD3...i dont want the whole hassle of splicing up my stock wiring. Thanks!

[Modified by Slow Rocket, 4:54 AM 12/12/2001]
Old 12-12-2001, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EX head -> DX block - Specific questions! (Slow Rocket)

ttt
Old 12-12-2001, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: EX head -> DX block - Specific questions! (Slow Rocket)

I have a 2000 Civic D16Y7(DX) motor and am getting a real good deal from my friend on his D16Z6 SOHC VTEC ported & polished head -and- the EX intake manifold. Now, what I need to know is EXACTLY what else I need to get in order to do this conversion.

This is what I will get:
---------------------------------------
- D16Z6 head (complete)
- D16Z6 intake manifold/throttle body (missing IAC sensor)
- D16Z6 fuel rail

What else will I need??? All I can think of is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- gaskets for head, exhaust manifold, intake manifold (or since my car is still new can I use the existing gaskets?)
- 96+ EX SOHC VTEC ECU

First off, WILL THIS WORK? I mean putting a 1995 head on a 2000 block? (i'm worried about the OBD issues - however im thinking if I get a newer ECU 96+ OBD II -or- III, then I should be okay). Please fill me in if i'm wrong or any details would be helpful.

Also, I know the fuel injectors are NOT included. Will I be able to use my current one from my DX?

Any other parts needed missing (please list ALL the parts i would need!), issues, tips would be appreciated. The main thing that concerns me is the OBD issue since the head is off an OBD1 and the block is OBD3...i dont want the whole hassle of splicing up my stock wiring. Thanks!

[Modified by Slow Rocket, 4:54 AM 12/12/2001]

sounds like a cool setup.....
Too bad your friend doesn't have a Y8 ported head, those heads make a lil more power than the Z6 head because of the combustion chamber being smaller. It's like comparing a B16A head to a GSR/P72 head... but on a smaller SOHC scale.heh.

The Z6 head should bolt right up to your DX block. You can reuse all of your DX head's sensors, distributor, throttlebody, head studs, head gasket, etc., to clear up any OBD issues....but most of the sensors on a Z6 head are the same when it comes to OBD1+2.

If you could -- you should try and locate a Y8 intake manifold - its like a mini version of an integra-R manifold (big *** plenum) for a SOHC head.

You should be able to reuse your DX's fuel rail & injectors as well....
As far as ECU goes, you might want to find a Y8's ECU (OBD2 SOHC VTEC ECU). So all will work.....oh yeah, you'll need to wire up the vtec lines or get yourself an EX engine harness if you wanna go all out and do it clean.

good luck..

[Modified by Katman, 11:23 AM 12/12/2001]

[Modified by Katman, 11:25 AM 12/12/2001]