Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine swap - hELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap - hELP!!!!

Hey guys I picked up a zc for a decent price and i'm soon (once i find the time) going to replace my dual carby engine..

i have everything i need and I was wondering, what sort of problems or tricky situations did u guys run into when doing a swap...

also, while the engine is out i plan to do this (quoted from a website)

While the engine is out do all the necessary things to it that otherwise would be a pain in the ***. I highly recommend replacing the timing belt, alternator belt, oil filter, fuel filter, fuel injectors, clutch (might not do this), radiator hoses, water pump, spark plugs, and if money permits, anything else you can think of that could possible break at a later time. All of these can be done while the engine is in the car, but while everything is apart it is a good idea to do it all at that time.

Does anyone agree with this comment, however:

Almost every engine that comes over from Japan has a broken TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). You can either use the old Si TPS, or you can replace throttle bodies entirely, they are identical.

Is there anything else I can/should do to the engine while it's out. I was thinking to change the head gasket, how would i know if this is possible, would a pressure test be the only way?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know that I would replace the fuel injectors, but everything else is worth replacing. Especially the clutch. You will spend a ton more time trying to do it later.

My H22 was from Japan, the TPS was fine. If its broken, replace it. If its fine, don't touch it.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how will i know that the clutch is worn?

I wont be able to test the engine in a car unfortunately.