Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions - how do you tell which engine after swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions - how do you tell which engine after swap?

OK, I am new to the forum. I have a 96 civic DX. My engine seized(my mistake ) a couple of months ago and I had it replaced with another engine. The shop I bought it from said it was a 1.5 liter from japan and not a 1.6 so it would be cheaper. The engine has worked great until a couple of weeks ago. To correctly diagnose the problem I need to know what engine it is. Is there a casting or some number I can read to find type?

Next question, I think I am having a similar problem with engine hesitation/jerking that a lot of people here seem to have. It instantly dies the first couple of times starting it, then runs(even if I let the fuel pump run for a minute with engine off).I have replaced : cap/rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, EIM? (little electronic ignition module thing in distributor), fuel filter, PCV valve, exhaust manifold(it was cracked) all in the past couple weeks since this occured. I replaced timing belt, water pump, oil/filter, 02 sensor, all that swap stuff at time of engine swap(3 months ago). It is also burning oil(I think) because of a little bit of blue smoke at exhaust, and cylinder #2 spark plug is black/oily. I am not sure if the oil problem is contributing to the engine hesitation or not? Could this be fuel pump? if so, how can I test first since they suck to replace? I am sick of replacing parts. My timing is set with light but I get same problem advanced all the way and retartded all the way. It bogs/jerks on the freeway. Any Ideas???

I appreciate your help
Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Questions - how do you tell which engine after swap? (thecivicman)

There is an engine code on a flat spot of the block to the left of the exhaust and right next to the transmission. Your code should be something like "D16Y8". Japanese import engines have less descriptive codes, so we will need some pictures of the engine to tell you what it is.

You've been throwing parts at the problem. It's better and cheaper to pay a mechanic than to throw parts at the problem based on internet suggestions that are based on your limited and cryptic explanation of the problem.

What you're describing could not be caused by the fuel pump. It could be something as simply as the spark plug tube seals aka valve gasket kit. I would also recommend cleaning the IACV since it wont cost you anything and they should be cleaned once a year whether there is a problem or not.

Timing should be set to so the red line lines up to the pointer on the timing belt cover. You should verify that you have the correct distributor since your engine has been replaced. The distributor will have a part number on the base ie "TD04U". Over advancing your timing will cause knock and ping, which could permanently damage your motor. Over retarding it will cause your exhaust to run very hot, which can crack your exhaust manifold and destroy your cat converter. It's not something to be experimenting with.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Questions - how do you tell which engine after swap? (suspendedHatch)

Thanks for the info, I found that engine code. It is a D15B, the next line below it says 287####. I can take pictures if needed. What do those numbers mean and what does this engine come from?

I don't know any good mechanics around here, but I did notice that suspendedHatch is from SLC. I am also here in the SLC valley. I am glad to hear it is not the fuel pump. I will look into cleaning the IACV. I am using the original type of distributor for the car, should I be using a different one? I only advanced and retarded the timing to drive around the block to see if timing would improve problem, I hope that wont cause damage.

sorry about the cryptic explanation, I am not a mechanic. But I wish I understood more. Any other ideas?

Modified by thecivicman at 10:21 PM 3/22/2008
Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Questions - how do you tell which engine after swap? (suspendedHatch)

I tried to find that IACV today but to no avail. Where is it? I looked to see if it was on the intake and the throttle body but could not find it. I searched for one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...89393

I want to clean it and I know some of you guys know exactly where this part resides. It is a 96 Civic DX. The car is now having a hard time idling
Any Ideas?