Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

emissions in CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emissions in CA

hey does anyone know if a gsr swaped eg civic hatch would pass emissions.what about with the jdm motors? if i put the right cat, all sensors and everything? Would it pass state ref in visual and smog?. help me out. thanks
Old 11-04-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Re: emissions in CA (luckyjun127)

jdm engines dont pass visual. during smog, they run the engine vin number to see if it's illegal/stolen etc. and jdm engines dont pass that.

if it's a usdm engine, as long as it the same year to above, obtain legally (meaning the engine vin number was not reported stolen), have your cat and o2 senors in place, you should pass smog.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: emissions in CA (luckyjun127)

Ask out HT member Spade he has tried to be up to date on Smog laws.. I have being hearing lately that Ref does allow for usage of JDM engines now.. but I believe the engine has to of had a simliar engine sold here.. and the engine has to be your year or newer to your chasis.. so let's say u have a 94htbk.. and u have a 94 or 95 GSR engine.. now what u would need are the 94-95 emmisions parts for a USDM GSR engine.. and I mean all emmisions sensors and all..u can actually have the ref look at it and ask them what you need.. most of the ones I've been to will do a pre-test to help you out.. but I am sure there are some **** ones out there that'll give u **** ..but don't sweat it to much and try to get as much information as you can good luck lucky
Old 11-05-2002, 02:19 AM

Default Re: emissions in CA (IM ALL BOB)

it seems to change from ref to ref. i have talked to guys up in bay area and they say the refs up there wont pass JDM engine no mater what. but i have talked to other refs that say they dont care ether way as long as the smog equipment is up to date and its same year and or new...ect. so find your local ref and talk to him see how he feels about it, if he dosent like it then try another one.
keith
Old 11-05-2002, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: emissions in CA (kwil666)

oh yeah and something I just remembered.. it is probably more important that you have a Bill of sale.. from either a salvage yark or Private party for the purchase of the engine JDM or not you need to show proof of where the engine has come from..the ref does not alot JDM engines to even test if you can not show how u got it
Old 11-05-2002, 02:36 PM
New User

Default Re: emissions in CA (kwil666)

keith your dead on...
it seems to change from ref to ref. i have talked to guys up in bay area and they say the refs up there wont pass JDM engine no mater what. but i have talked to other refs that say they dont care ether way as long as the smog equipment is up to date and its same year and or new...ect. so find your local ref and talk to him see how he feels about it, if he dosent like it then try another one.
keith
look in my sig...that motor is JDM...all depends which ref you have
Old 11-05-2002, 08:12 PM
New User

Default Re: emissions in CA (wuhungsixxx)

I agree. My JDM B18C was passed by one ref, but another ref at the same place wouldn't even look at my friend's B16A.