Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Oil pump to "Prelube" motor before starting.... any heard of this.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Oil pump to "Prelube" motor before starting.... any heard of this.

It is said the a lot of wear and tear happens the first few seconds the engine fired up because theres no oil circulating. (At least until oil pump catches up).

The electric pump primes the motor with oil before it starts.

I've seen these feature in Caterpillar Heavy equipment diesels.

Just curious if there is an aftermarket product like this for smaller motors.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Electric Oil pump to "Prelube" motor before starting.... any heard of this. (JD_B18CDX)

just make sure to put alot of engine assembly lube on all the rotating parts during the assembley.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electric Oil pump to "Prelube" motor before starting.... any heard of this. (JD_B18CDX)

I don't know if it would do much. Seems like they would use it more often if it did.

Most wear is caused to the engine on startup because there's a lot of metal-metal contact when parts don't move fast enough past each other.

I guess I really don't know how much an electric oil pump would do for engine wear. Not much I think, unless you start it every couple months such that all the oil had drained off of paarts. Again, though, not sure.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Electric Oil pump to "Prelube" motor before starting.... any heard of this. (Lsos)

I thought an anti drainback valve on the oil filter took care of cold starts..
Old 11-28-2002, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electric Oil pump to "Prelube" motor before starting.... any heard of this. (Nameless)

That's what I heard too. Look for a p/n on a Moroso accumulator, that's exactly what it is.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Electric Oil pump to "Prelube" motor before starting.... any heard of this. (:hammer:)

As said loads of assembly lube is the best bet.

Also unplug the ecu & crank the motor till the oil pressure light goes off as u then have gud oil pressure!

BillB

[Modified by BillB, 12:43 PM 11/28/2002]
Old 11-28-2002, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Electric Oil pump to "Prelube" motor before starting.... any heard of this. (BillB)

I think there is a slight misundestanding.

I meant an electric oil pump every time you start the motor on an everyday basis.
The caterpillar diesels i have seen have these. You turn on the ignition, an electric motor pumps oil for a few seconds then starter button is enabled.
Motor wont start if oil presure is not within spec.

So far, the closest I've seen was a catch can.
It accumultes oil when you are driving and as soon as you shut off ignition, it shuts a valve and "locks" oil in the can with presure. Next time you start, when ignition is turned on, valve opens and presure from the catch can pushes the oil back to the engine and "prelubes" the motor.

Old 11-28-2002, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude did you even look at the accumulator? That's what it is, not really a catch can

The problem with an electrical pre-lube system is that the oil pump is driven off the timing belt. You can't pre-spin it without also spinning the belt. That's why that fella said to pull the fuse and crank the car over. But what you could do is install a cutoff switch, shut it off before starting the car, crank it over until you get pressure (usually 2-3 seconds does it, according to my oil pressure gauge) and then flip it on and go.