Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EJ8 D16A swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ8 D16A swap?

OK so here's the break down , bought a 1998 EJ8 Civic EX from a repo lot and after having it for a month this is what I've done to it so far and what I've learned to this point..

Let's start off by saying the block is a D16A and the heads are what I presume are off a D15B VTEC. I had to replace the dizzy and just got one for a 92-95 civic. Did the obd conversation using a diagram and all the wire are in the right spot. Although the old dizzy had bored mounts to the left and was mounted all the way clockwise. Someone told me that the top one always needs to be centered. So I centred it and noticed I gained a little more power. Although I don't have a obd reader before I did the adjustment I was throwing cranks position sensor codes, but like I said I checked the wiring.. I could go over it again. I'm not sure if I'm still throwing codes for that because I have codes also from a bad knock sensor. So not till I go back to the shop I'll know.

I've done some research and found that that d16a is the same as the d16z6. I'm not sure if the camshaft off the d16 were swapped into the d15 heads but there's some evidence that the cams have been removed before so I assume they were swapped.

So now here's the problem, I was leaking oil out of the dizzy (which is why I replaced it), oil pan, and valve cover. So I replaced all those gaskets and now it seems that the major oil leak has been coming from between the heads and the block. Also I'm Blowing blue smoke (oil) and hoping it's the gasket and not my rings or seals. Could this conversation cause the leak, maybe they're not interchangeable?

The head code off the D15B are P08 and the head code off a d16a (same as the d16z6) are also P08.

Sorry if I got anything wrong this is my first time and I only have my phone to research.