Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing some work on a JDM harness... Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Doing some work on a JDM harness... Quick question

I am trying to adapt a USDM connector plug to a JDM engine harness. So far, all wires match up color for color except two. Unfortunately I don't have a manual for the JDM XSI so I can't see what these wires are. There is a white/yellow wire comming off the JDM harness that connects to the alternator. I noticed the USDM alternator connector does not share this wire, it only has 3 on the plug. Does anyone know what the extra white/yellow wire on the JDM harness is for?

Also, on the USDM harness, it has a white/green wire which connects to the coolant temp sensor on the back of the USDM engines. I noticed the JDM engine does not have this sensor and thus no wire in the harness. I am assuming this will not be an issue as I am also using an XSI JDM ecu. See any issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Doing some work on a JDM harness... Quick question (Hybrid93Eg)

Ok, I'm assuming you're adapting a jdm B16, but into what car?

More info please.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Doing some work on a JDM harness... Quick question (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I'm assuming you're adapting a jdm B16, but into what car?

More info please.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. 1992 SIR II XSI engine into a 1992 USDM GSR.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 PM

Ok do you have the stock B17 harness?
Old 08-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok do you have the stock B17 harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. This harness was butchered though. MANY broken connectors and ghetto rigged wiring... So I cut the main connectors off the end to mend them onto the JDM harness. JDM harness is in 10x's better shape.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:05 PM

Well the JDM harness is completely backwards. You sure you'll be able to meet it up with the shock tower harness?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the JDM harness is completely backwards. You sure you'll be able to meet it up with the shock tower harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its sitting on the engine, which is in the car as we speak. All the plugs seem to line up without any issues.. ??
Old 08-04-2003, 05:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its sitting on the engine, which is in the car as we speak. All the plugs seem to line up without any issues.. ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, ok well being both OBD1, the colors should match up, but you have yourself a mess of wiring lol.

I would just purchase an OBD1 engine harness and put the thing on. That's my recommendation though.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmm, ok well being both OBD1, the colors should match up, but you have yourself a mess of wiring lol.

I would just purchase an OBD1 engine harness and put the thing on. That's my recommendation though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be the fastest way, but the guy I am doing the swap for wanted me to repair the JDM one, so thats what I am attempting to do. Its not what I would call a mess... Just the USDM engines uses the temp sensor, where the JDM on doesn't... Then there is the additional wire comming off the alternator that I am not sure of. I will figure it out, just takes a little bit of time. Was hoping someone on here had the answer for me to make things a bit easier. I figure what I will do now is hook up all but this one wire and see what, if any, codes are tossed, then go from there.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:24 PM

Well the alternator should have 5 wires I believe. That's it. And if you're referring to the ECT there should still be one on the B16.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the alternator should have 5 wires I believe. That's it. And if you're referring to the ECT there should still be one on the B16.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am talking about the green plug on the back of the alt. The green plug alone has 4 wires on the JDM harness and 3 wires on the USDM harness. The JDM B16 apparently does not use the ECT temp sensor in the back of the engine by the oil filter like the USDM B18A's used. There is a plug there and no wire for it in the harness. I am assuming they migrated it over to the newer system where it pulls the temp for the fan switch off the thermostat housing.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:41 PM

The ECT on the B16 should be under neath the distributor. Not on the back.

And ya, the alt has 5 wires total, 4 wires on the green plug.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ECT on the B16 should be under neath the distributor. Not on the back.

And ya, the alt has 5 wires total, 4 wires on the green plug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

B18a's have the fan switch on the back of the block.. near the oil filter. The USDM harness only shows 3 wires on the green alt plug, not 4 like the JDM version. There is a little plastic plug in the 4th wires place on the USDM harness.