Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributors: OBD1 - OBD2 interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Distributors: OBD1 - OBD2 interchangeable?

Ok...so here's my question. I'm helping my buddy with his obd1 jdm gsr swap in his 99 civic dx coupe. We used a 99 Si obd2 engine harness and since the obd1 distributor that came on the motor had the two plugs...we replaced it with a b16a obd2 dizzy. Will this work? I was under the impression that it would since it's a b-series vtec dizzy...just different obd's. The car turns over but does not start. When we swapped the dizzy's...I just unbolted the three bolts, pulled it out, then stuck the obd2 one on there and reinstalled the bolts. Could there be a timing issue?

Old 11-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Distributors: OBD1 - OBD2 interchangeable? (gabebauman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabebauman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok...so here's my question. I'm helping my buddy with his obd1 jdm gsr swap in his 99 civic dx coupe. We used a 99 Si obd2 engine harness and since the obd1 distributor that came on the motor had the two plugs...we replaced it with a b16a obd2 dizzy. Will this work? I was under the impression that it would since it's a b-series vtec dizzy...just different obd's. The car turns over but does not start. When we swapped the dizzy's...I just unbolted the three bolts, pulled it out, then stuck the obd2 one on there and reinstalled the bolts. Could there be a timing issue?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, this setup is suppose to work.
As a side note, you can mix OBD1 and OBD2 dizzy's & ecu's but you can't use OBD-0 dizzy and ecu with OBD1/2 ecu/dizzy's.

what ecu are you using for this swap?
is there enough fuel in the car?
is the ignitor and coil damaged?
and speaking of the ignitor and coil, as a test, you can actually swap out the OBD2 B-series ignitor+coil with the D-series ignitor+coil to see if that's what the problem is. OBD2 B & D series ignitors and coils are the same.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Distributors: OBD1 - OBD2 interchangeable? (Katman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. what ecu are you using for this swap?
2. is there enough fuel in the car?
3. is the ignitor and coil damaged?
4. and speaking of the ignitor and coil, as a test, you can actually swap out the OBD2 B-series ignitor+coil with the D-series ignitor+coil to see if that's what the problem is. OBD2 B & D series ignitors and coils are the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. P72 JDM OBD1 ecu
2. yes...we noticed it was real low on fuel...so he put some more in.
3. not sure
4. we might try that if all else fails

Thanks for replying katman...hopefully we can get this resolved soon. I think his hmotorsonline.com startup warranty is near its end.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, take a look at the ignitor and see if its damaged; sometimes the rotor screw can come loose and fly around the inside of the dizzy and damage the dizzy internals. This happened to a friend of mine a while back. The damn screw busted part of the ignitor's housing and prevented the car from starting...
Old 11-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Katman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, take a look at the ignitor and see if its damaged; sometimes the rotor screw can come loose and fly around the inside of the dizzy and damage the dizzy internals. This happened to a friend of mine a while back. The damn screw busted part of the ignitor's housing and prevented the car from starting...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Katman...Hopefully we can get this diagnosed tonight.