Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Del Sol Northstar Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Del Sol Northstar Swap

First off. No I'm not retarded, no I'm not on drugs, yes I am a dreamer and I like to push boundaries.

Today I start my serious inquiry into swapping a Northstar V8 into my 1993 Honda Del Sol. My vision is to have a swap extremely unique to everyone elses. I am in love with the American V8, but I can't ignore my tuner tendencies.

I am thinking I will swap either a LD8 or L37 as these are the motors that I will be able to acquire with my budget. I am looking to turn this into a twin turbo or supercharged engine, when the funds are available.

I am not experienced when it comes to motor swaps. I am learning about turbos and superchargers. Please keep this in mind when you are responding, any information (or guidance to such) would be well received. While I lack in knowledge, I surpass in will power and dedication. I will do this swap whether you like it or not, or whether you think it is even possible. If I have to strip to frame in order to get this beast in here you best believe I will.

My main questions are:

1) What is the best way to locate the motor mounts on the Northstar so that I may compare them with my available space and assess what welding/fabrication will be necessary

2) What complications will I be looking forward to when it comes to the swap? I image putting a domestic engine in an import will come with complications every step of the way, but what can you see as an experienced member? Obviously I will have to replace the CPU, and most if not all of the wiring harness. Will I be able to tap and adapt the wiring harness of a Northstar to be compatible with the components of my del sol (for instance, A/C, key ignition, instrument cluster, lights, etc).

3) I know the engine bay of a Del Sol isn't the biggest, but its fairly decent. My D15B sits in it with PLENTY of room on all sides, and the Northstar honestly doesn't look like it uses a bay any larger than mine. How will I best be able to assess the footprint of my swap? What methods of planning do you use when you are inquiry a swap?

4) I would really like a manual transmission, and while transmission options would be more meant for a Cadillac or GM forum, does anyone know of a manual transmission compatible with the L37 or LD8. To my knowledge these engines were not designed for a manual transmission, and were only available in automatic.

I am very much looking forward to your response. Haters beware, I don't feed the low self esteem your kind has grown accustomed to.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Del Sol Northstar Swap

1 - The only way to answer that is to get the engine on a hoist, lower it into your bay, and start mocking things up.

2 - FWD or RWD LD8/L37? For a FWD, you won't fit it. For a RWD, you'll be doing a lot of custom work to the tunnel, as well as to the firewall, to make the transmission and driveshaft fit. You'll also need rear hubs that support axles (a CRV comes to mind...), as well as a custom driveshaft and axles. You'll also need to figure out shifter position in relation to the tunnel, and driving position. Holley makes standalone EFI systems you might want to look into. As for wiring...well, you're probably going to need to build a custom harness.

3 - Find one in a junkyard, and take a tape measure to it. No, seriously, the best way to figure out if it'll fit is to take as many measurements as possible, and figure it out.

4 - The Firebird came with the L37 at some point, with a 4 speed manual. That's as good a place to start as any.

Here's the reality of it. Very few people have done V8 swaps into Civics. There's are multiple reasons for that. You're talking about putting a heavy, torque'y motor in a relatively light chassis. That means you'll spin tires if you look at the throttle the wrong way. Adding a turbo or blower to it, on top of that? Yeah, you are crazy. You might not realize it now, but you are bat **** crazy. Regardless, the only way you're going to do this is if you go out and do it. You'll be doing everything custom, by hand. No one here will be able to tell you how to do it - you just need to go and do it.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol Northstar Swap

Mid engine rwd is the way.
There are plenty of mid-engine conversions, some of them are v6 and v8 swaps. It's not impossible.

J32-Mid-Engine-DEL-SOL

For a V8, a longitudinal mount solution could be a better way:
-no hot exhaust in your back
-you could keep the rear window lifter
-you will not have to cut the frame (that much)
-you will not have to modify suspension mounting points or shock towers (that much)
-better engine/tranny options

Modify the rear trailing arms to accept an rtsi/wagon/crv hub,
or modify a wagon arm to fit.
This simplifies the suspension part a lot, as you will not have to re-invent everything.
Check out 4wd/awd civic/delsol conversion threads, there are plenty.

Check out mr2 and fiero v8 and v12 conversion threads for ideas.

You should use an mr2 or a fiero fuel cell, instead of putting the oem one into the front crumple zone

Measure twice. Use the frame repair chart (delsol factory service manual, Chapter: Body)
Photoshop the engine/trans to the frame repair chart, to see if it will fit.

If you are a welding expert, it's good. If you are not, you are screwed
(you should not weld suspension components yourself, only if you are really good)

Dry sump could help a lot with clearances, as well as a low-profile intake tract.
The roof storage will be tricky.
The gear linkage will be tricky.
You could use an automatic tranny with a semi-auto transmission controller like this:
MegaShift/GPIO Transmission Controller

You should check if the Audi V8 is available where you live (they are dirt cheap here in europe, around $400),
it could be a better solution to your problem:
-same power (250-300hp, or more, depending on configuration)
-much better mileage
-more compact (like a v6)
-lighter
-capable of 4-500hp in it's stock form with forced induction
-wide variety of transmissions (audi bellhousing patterns are the same for most engines)
-5 and 6 speed manuals

You could go with the Audi 3.6 L PT V8 or the 4.2 L ABH V8.
Go with a serpentine belt one, instead of a chain drive one.

Last edited by simplex; 05-04-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: more info