Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating a frankenstein build...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Creating a frankenstein build...

Hello,

A little bit of background info, Im currently running a 92 civic hatchback with a b16a bottom end, fresh Integra Type R head being strung together with the p30 ecu. On my way home from work the other night, I developed a rod knock which resulted in me spinning a rod bearing.

I do not trust the current crank and rods in that b16a bottom end as of this point. So I have a few options that I'd like an opinion on...

First of all, I have a spare b16a block with just the crank in it. Funds are tight, and I dont happen to have rods for this block otherwise I'd have swapped that in already and been done with it. Bear in mind my p30 pistons from the original block are in great shape and can be used again.

I also have a Integra b18b1 LS engine block, with a fresh hone. Crank is good, rods are good, it needs rod bearings and pistons and it'd be set.

So what I need to know is, Is there a way I can take the parts I've got and build something that can be used in my current setup? I'd need it to only really last a month or so, It won't be revved hard or beat on majorly just needs to get me to work and back daily.

A few things I've considered thus far is running the spare b16a crank with LS rods and the jdm p30 pistons. I understand the rods will need to be slightly modified, will I run into any other issues beyond that?

I've also considered an ls/vtec build considering I have almost everything already besides the oil feed setup, but it seems that it'd exceed my current budget.

Thanks for any helpful replies guys.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Creating a frankenstein build...

Can't use ls rods in b16 block/crank. Build the b18 block with your b16 pistons and use your b16 head. Nice beefy lsvtec.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Creating a frankenstein build...

do what my boy ivan said should be a pretty fun set up