Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering H2B - would like confirmation of build details

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering H2B - would like confirmation of build details

Hey everyone.

I'm seriously considering an H2B swap in my 1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si. I had built an NA d16z6 that was making 158whp/116wtrq but the head dropped a valve at the track and destroyed the motor. The only reason it would be worth building another (pretty much have everything I need that was salvageable) would be because of the transmission. It's an S40B000 5-speed with a Quaife LSD, MFactory 3rd gear, stock 3rd to 4th and shorter 5th with a Synchrotech carbon synchro rebuild kit. If it didn't require a lot of modification, I'd be slapping an H22 onto that! I use the car for open lapping events and the occasional Time Attack and Autocross.

I'm considering the H2B because of the obvious reasons: better transmission with OEM LSD options and more power and reliability with a factory H22 motor.

From what I understand, I would use essentially all the components for the b-series transmission such as the axles, shift linkage, transmission mounts, clutch/pressure plate. A kit like the QSD kit provides the transmission adapter as well as the crankshaft spacer. I'm going to assume that it also includes the motor mount but I would need to confirm this.

Finding an OBD1 H22 would make the swap easier since it should simply connect to the OBD1 wiring harness already in the car and the Neptune chipped P06 should work.

I read that the alternator is an issue with clearance since the b-series motor tilts the H22 slightly. I believe that using a smaller d-series alternator should resolve that issue. Explicit Speed Performance makes an H2B alternator bracket for this issue.

I'll need an H2B header. I think 1320 makes one for this application.

I plan on using this motor and transmission combination at the track with sustained high RPM, frequent shifting and cornering forces. Of course a b-series transmission and b-series motor built for this kind of abuse, such as the B18C-R, would be a great option, but I like the idea of having the larger displacement as well as the cost effectiveness of the H22. They are substantially cheaper than a B18C-R should I find myself blowing up another motor. The d-series has the cost advantage as they can be found for less than a couple of hundred dollars but it takes a lot more cash to make them more powerful.

Does anyone know which of the mounts that I am currently using can be re-used for the b-series transmission? I have Innovative 75A mounts that I'd like to reuse if I can.

Am I forgetting anything?

Have I left anything out?

Is the H2B a reliable combination for track duty? (All things being equal like proper maintenance and just plain-old bad luck...)

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Considering H2B - would like confirmation of build details

This is helpful!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/h2b-f2b-faq-1998426/
Old 07-31-2017, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the H2B idea..although you don't see a lot of people using that setup for auto x or open lapping I don't see it having any real disadvantage and its different which is cool. You can find a nice h23 bluetop from an importer in Toronto for pretty cheap these days too.

For the price you would be spending on the h2b and for what your using the car for I would still prefer a b18c type r swap or a k20a2 (I think the itr swap will be a bit cheaper while the k20 a few k more..)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The H2B swap gets to be more of a pricier option if you do not already have a B series swap already. You have to factor in buying a transmission, starter, axles, mid shaft, clutch, flywheel, shift linkage, misc stuff.

To answer your question about the mounts. QSD does not sell mounts with their kit. The kit from QSD is designed to use either oem or aftermarket B series mounts (3 post integra drivers side mount). Furthermore QSD also sells additional/optional parts that make life easier ie they sell a better solution for the alternator bracket (D-series), coolant neck, oil pan, ect. I would look at their website and see what they sell.

Wiring
My first sway was an OBD1 h22 long engine into a OBD1 civic with OBD1 ECU (Neptune software). I used the stock civic vtec harness. I changed out the prelude injectors to high impedance injectors so I didn't have to wire in a resistor box. The OBD1 H22 distributors are external coil so I had to modify the H22 distributor to internal coil like the civic/integra.

On the second H2B swap I did we installed a Euro R h22 OBD2 into a OBD1 civic with OBD1 ECU (Neptune software). The above wiring changes were not need because the OBD2 engine uses the correct impedance injectors and an internal coil distributor.

Some random thoughts...
You need to keep in mind that you are hanging more weight out on the front end of the car over a b series engine as well as the fact that the engine height/pitch in a normal situation (accord/prelude) has the engine tilted back and now its being tilted forward.

The thing I hated most about the H2B swap is the hood having to be spaced. But no doubt its the best bank for the buck (provided you have the parts I listed above from a b series swap) from an engine swap stand point. The JDM H23 VTEC engines are a bargain and are quite power when tuned properly.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This setup can work as well as any setup. There are parts available to tackle every aspect of the build. This is not a cheap or budget build. Many expensive parts are required to do it right, this is no different than a K swap. QSD has the alternator kit which works great, I use it with operational balance shafts and its a non issue. Closing the hood is the biggest challenge... It requires a different valve cover. Not many choices exist, I use the neil brown cover but you could modify your stock one or find something else.

This engine can take a serious beating. Ive been revving my h23 to 8k for years and it loves it. A true racing engine, as good as a B or K for sure.

Its a great setup overall, but its still only a 2.2 or 2.3 setup. Dont expect anything more than what it is. Friends with new cars will have way more hp and tech to whomp your ***. Unless you go boost or do a really dope all motor setup but those are less and less common now. And theres really no point in going boost cause bs and ks can do it great with way more parts choices and more space to work with. But for the few who DO a proper h2b turbo or AM, big ups, they enjoy.

That said I love the setup and recommend it 100%. Its a huge project which takes time to dial in just right. Plus your block is hacked, and leaks a bit but who cares. Its an NSX inspired civic built in your own garage with your bare hands which can scream and double as a commuter. Put 1 million miles on it no prob then go racing while sipping a coffee and not even worry cause your engine can take it like a champ.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Sorry to hear about your d16 bro, it was an inspiration to me
Old 08-21-2017, 01:02 AM
Trial User

If you already have all the b series stuff, such as axels,tranny, half shaft, shifter, mounts. And don't want to spend that much and have more clearance under the hood. And not use any hood spacers, I suggest looking into buying a plateless kit from brough performance. You won't need a plate so you'll have more room without having to bang on your fraim rail. Plus the engine will sit like a b series. And you'll use all your b series parts that you have. ( Axels, mounts, halfshaft, linkage,tranny). I'm in the process of doing this myself on my eg hatch and it's not that expensive once you have the b series parts. But yeah look into that brough performance plateless kit.