Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression tests on a b16

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression tests on a b16

OK.. i just did some archive research but i want to verify a few things...

first---> why would u want to do a wet compression test? i dont really understand the point of doing the test without removing the fuse for the fuel injection. Will the compression readings be different?

second---> it seems that strong b16's run 200 something across all 4 cylunders. So besides having 200 some odd psi in each cylinder, it is important to look at the variations from one cylinder to another... say one cyclinder shouldn't be any more than 20-30 psi higher or lower than another?

third---> besides doing it myself... approx how much would a garage charge for me to have a compression test done?.. im looking into buying a b16 crx and i want to have the compression tested, but i doubt the dealer would let me do it myself...

fourth --> kinda off topic... but any other suggestions to make sure that the swap is running well?

thanks

Old 10-28-2003, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Compression tests on a b16 (lothian110)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lothian110 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first---&gt; why would u want to do a wet compression test? i dont really understand the point of doing the test without removing the fuse for the fuel injection. Will the compression readings be different?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A wet compression test (oil) will see if the pistons rings are sealing. Now, if you have low numbers and you put oil in the cylinder and the numbers go up a lot, your rings are/part of the cause of the low compression numbers. Fuel does not really matter cause it will be sucked in and out of the cylinder without really changing the reading.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lothian110 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">second---&gt; it seems that strong b16's run 200 something across all 4 cylinders. So besides having 200 some odd psi in each cylinder, it is important to look at the variations from one cylinder to another... say one cyclinder shouldn't be any more than 20-30 psi higher or lower than another?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, if the reading vary, that means the motor is not work/sealing its best. You look to see if the numbers are 10% of each other. Example: If you get a reading of 200 for the first cylinder, the other should be no less than 180 and no more than 220. The closer the numbers the better.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lothian110 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">third---&gt; besides doing it myself... approx how much would a garage charge for me to have a compression test done?.. im looking into buying a b16 crx and i want to have the compression tested, but i doubt the dealer would let me do it myself...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think they would charge you about a hour ($55-100) to do it (even though it will not take that long). It is easy. The compression gauge and hardware costs about $25-$50 at a local part store. Step 1: remove all spark plugs. Disconnect the spark (the two wire connector by the dizzy and going to it). install guage. crank motor over 5-10 times. then repeat on next cylinder.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lothian110 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fourth --&gt; kinda off topic... but any other suggestions to make sure that the swap is running well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A leakdown test. I forgot the link for it, but you need a machine (compressor) that will create air pressure (100 psi). And take it to a mechanic that you know and trust.

I hope I answered your questions.