Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build a motor or purchase a pre-used for a swap? (B-Series)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build a motor or purchase a pre-used for a swap? (B-Series)

To all the experts out there,
Which would you say is much more cost effective:

1) Building a motor from the ground up?

or

2) Purchasing a complete motor swap deal from one of those used Japanese engine distribution wherehouses?

*Please keep in mind, for someone doing a motor swap, selecting option 1 would require having to locate many parts to complete the swap. Appropriate Ecu, harnesses, shift linkage, axles, and not to mention INTERNALS!!!

*However, going with option 2 would simplify things becasue it's all presented to you in one package.

*Advantages to option 1 allows you to build to your specs with higher horse power out puts.
but is there a higher risk involved do to maintenance issues?

__________________________________________________ __________________

I believe this is a good topic for many to share. It also should give many of us something to think about for our next motor swap or possibly even first motor swap.
I'd like to hear from many parties which have performed either or.

(NOTE: people with no experience need not post. I am trying to avoid the typical scenario of " i have a friend that...." or "I know this guy that one time...." you get the idea thank you. )

Old 06-14-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Build a motor or purchase a pre-used for a swap? (JEM MotorSports)

I am in the middle of building a B16 from the ground up. The reason I went this route is because I first bought a B16 head to do an LSVTEC on my old integra. I totalled the integra (not my fault btw) and got an EK hatch, then bought a complete B16 block to build. The block and head have everything I need internally. The part that I think is gonna be a bitch is sourcing the little ***** here and there to make it complete on the outside. I spent almost $800 to get the block and head. A complete B16 swap would be over $2000, so in the end the price is gonna be close once I get a tranny and all...but it'll be alright because I'm gonna pick up some different parts along the way. I'm definitely still worried and hesitant though because of those little parts I'll have to get.