Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b20 vtec top end problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20 vtec top end problems

I recently built a b20vtec and slapped it into my 93 honda civic si. The bottom is balanced with 12.5-1 je pistons. The vtec head is a type r with b17 cams. The ecu is a Gsr obd1. I have only been pulling low 14's. There is all this hype about running in the 12's with a crvtec, but I think its a bunch of bull. Anybody out there know how to get my top end through puberty???
Old 07-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (jcivicsib20)

B17 cams = suck
Old 07-17-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (Speed PHreak)

12's are possible with a good b20/vtec setup...what tranny, cams, tires are you using and how much does your car weigh with u in it ?
Old 07-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (NA DC2)

Its all about tuning....The car might be running out of fuel up top.....You should put it on the dyno to see how's its doing. Also, as asked before, what tranny are you running?
Old 07-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (Speed PHreak)

B17 cams = suck
b17 cams= suck my jacobs lol
Old 07-17-2002, 05:47 PM

dynoed your engine b4?
Old 07-17-2002, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (Spoon_Civic)

wait till KAMiN gets here,

but ill steal his line anyways:

"ALOT depends on the driver..."

t..
Old 07-17-2002, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (tinkerbell)

wait till KAMiN gets here,

but ill steal his line anyways:

"ALOT depends on the driver..."

t..
haha
SO!
its damn true.

but i was gonna say the b17 cams blow.
why did you take out the r cams?
you could shave down the valve recess' on the pistons and have more than enough clearance.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:20 AM

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (ridge racer 2)

B16 tranny, lightened flywheel, Toyo RA 1 road racing tires @15psi
Old 07-18-2002, 12:20 AM

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (NA DC2)

2500 lbs with me
Old 07-24-2002, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you put b17 cams in a type-r head ? my si was 2500 with me in it lose some weight from the car.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:33 PM

Try using some 10.0 compression pistons if you are running n/a. I'm not trying to be an A$$ but you should talk smack about a motor you didn't built right.....
Old 07-24-2002, 03:11 PM
New User

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (Dragger817)

doing a motor swap with limited knowledge/experience and going to the track occasionally usually means your gonna have some problems. going to the dyno will be the easiest way to figure out your problems. new cams would help. could be anything. air/fuel, spark, timing.........who knows. but running 12's with a crvtec being bullshit is rediculous. as far as i'm concerned you should be running 12's with street tires, a nice set of cams, and some tuning.

for example:
b20 block
11.5:1 pistons
rods
vtec head(your choice)
intake manifold(skunk2, type r, jg)
decent cam(type r, skunk2, toda, jun)
ecu reving to about 9000
springs/retainers/cam gears
intake, exhaust, header
afc, fuel pressure regulator
type r tranny, b16 tranny, gsr tranny
decent clutch

gets you 200+ hsp to the wheels, 150+ ft/lbs of torque

that means easy low 12's in a daily driven hatch with 22" slicks or easy high 12's with a decent tire or drag radial.

but, the car must be tuned and you must know how to drive alittle bit better than my grandmother.

[Modified by jinxproof99, 7:12 PM 7/24/2002]
Old 07-24-2002, 03:11 PM

Try using some 10.0 compression pistons if you are running n/a. I'm not trying to be an A$$ but you should talk smack about a motor you didn't built right.....
Please, elaborate. Why should him install 10.0 cr pistons on a N/A setup? It is proven that the higher the compression your setup allows, the better numbers you have in a N/A motor....
Old 07-24-2002, 03:52 PM

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (jinxproof99)

I have decent knowledge of doing swaps. This is the second motor I have built and it just seems that the top end just doesnt pull as hard as it should. I hooked up my friends skunk2 ecu and all I did was detonate. It could be something as simple as needing new spark plugs. Who knows. I was told I need to run my b16 ecu for the type r head and get a VAFC to turn up the fuel after 5000rpms. Maybe I will take a trip to Seattle to Dyno it.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:00 PM

The engine is built right you dumbshit or the car wouldnt be runnin. It just needs more fuel in the top end.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

dont listen to jinx jason, he thinks hes god cause everything he touches is fast. the motor is built right, it has small cams, tires r good, but top end isnt there. get the skunk2 cams and get to a dyno, thats the most important thing.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:11 PM
New User

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems (hondaatwsu)

dont listen to jinx jason, he thinks hes god cause everything he touches is fast. the motor is built right, it has small cams, tires r good, but top end isnt there. get the skunk2 cams and get to a dyno, thats the most important thing.
hey ********......isn't that what i said???? if your educated enough to read, then you'd know i said, going to the dyno will be the easiest way to figure out your problems. new cams would help. could be anything. where the hell do you come off thinking i'm god. what i said about people attempting motor builds/swaps was a generalization intended for everyone. i see many people on honda tech saying things like "i swapped in a gsr motor in my hatch and i ran 14.9. well, thats cause you probably don't know what the **** your doing both in the garage and at the track. i'm no certified honda mechanic and 99.99% of the people on here aren't either (even though they think they are). damn, your are one son of a bitch to say that ****. go back to your hole, bitch.

........and the kid did say... "There is all this hype about running in the 12's with a crvtec, but I think its a bunch of bull. " and i just thought that was retarded.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ur as bad as alot of other ppl. i know him personally, but u do in fact think everything should run 9s/10s turboed and 12s NA. u always talk about how ppl cant drive. ur ego is about as big as NY city but u get easily offended at the smallest comment. take a little of ur own **** and b a man. u drive a 10 second "daily driver" so u r THE MAN. i bet ur just a short little **** that weighs 120 lbs.

on a side note jason CAN DRIVE. he doesnt drive like ur grandma. his car is timed to 14 degrees to avoid detonation. he does his own work, therefor i would assume that his car is put together correctly (i verified when he was over 2 weeks ago). we just cant figure out his top end problem. runs good, good torque but lacking top end.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:22 PM
New User

ur as bad as alot of other ppl. i know him personally, but u do in fact think everything should run 9s/10s turboed and 12s NA. u always talk about how ppl cant drive. ur ego is about as big as NY city but u get easily offended at the smallest comment. take a little of ur own **** and b a man. u drive a 10 second "daily driver" so u r THE MAN. i bet ur just a short little **** that weighs 120 lbs.

on a side note jason CAN DRIVE. he doesnt drive like ur grandma. his car is timed to 14 degrees to avoid detonation. he does his own work, therefor i would assume that his car is put together correctly (i verified when he was over 2 weeks ago). we just cant figure out his top end problem. runs good, good torque but lacking top end.
its funny how people say things on the computer that they would never say to your face. i'm 6'2" and about 275. but thats beside the point. i don't know what your problem is but get over it. the guy said he didn't believe crvtecs ran 12's. you can hide from that all day. he said he has *** for top end and i told him it could be alot of things(and you will find its more than one thing). i told him to get new cams and to check his fuel and timing. funny he has crap cams and 14 degree timing.......i called it right the first time. as for the install/driving issues, my comments were not an attack on the new guy, just for everyone.

you don't know **** about me obviously. i get IM's daily regarding peoples set ups. i see people spend an incredible amount of money to go slow. then i see people have fast cars and they can't drive. then i see people spend 5 grand on a type r swap and go cheap on the install and can't figure out why they run 15's. not everyone has to have a fast car or has the money to spend on one. but don't come on here and say"crvtecs don't run 12's" then you back the guy. if you know him and like him thats fine. let him take alittle info/heat and thats it. so be it.

as for you, "hondaatwsu", you are a total moron. was it you who did the install?? i mean what is your problem?? is it that high elevation in seattle??? you don't know me at all. you've been a member for like 5 months and our paths have never crossed. how do you know what i think?? how do you know what kind of person i am?? did you even read my post??i practically built the ****** 215 hsp 160 ft/lb tq motor for you in my last post. theres no mystery behind it. seems to me that if you can't get a motor to work you should spend more time on the dyno/track and less time talking down to me(or anyone else on honda tech).

get a life ************.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

im not hte one that built the motor. my motor is untuned turnin 13 flats all day long. the motor in question is my friends. like i said, 14 degrees to prevent detonation. we tried my skunk2 ECU, didnt work. tried 118 octane, didnt work. prolly needs bigger injectors.
ur right, i dont know u. i dont care to, i would say it to ur face if i was there. but my point is, u always talk down to ppl just like i talked down to u. i never backed him. i believe the potential is there for good times, just prolly not in his 2500lb SI. ive followed some posts of urs. therefor i came to my own conclusion. u get easily offended if anyone disagrees with u, or in this case, if i just tell jason to ignore ur comments.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:37 PM
New User

im not hte one that built the motor. my motor is untuned turnin 13 flats all day long. the motor in question is my friends. like i said, 14 degrees to prevent detonation. we tried my skunk2 ECU, didnt work. tried 118 octane, didnt work. prolly needs bigger injectors.
ur right, i dont know u. i dont care to, i would say it to ur face if i was there. but my point is, u always talk down to ppl just like i talked down to u. i never backed him. i believe the potential is there for good times, just prolly not in his 2500lb SI. ive followed some posts of urs. therefor i came to my own conclusion. u get easily offended if anyone disagrees with u, or in this case, if i just tell jason to ignore ur comments.

well since i always talk down to people, no sense in stopping now. i've never followed a post by you, nor have i ever even heard of you till now. 13's flat all day blows. yeah, that ***** fine in seattle, but get real. go to any place with fast cars and you'll get smoked. and since i'm already talking down to you and yeah, your my bitch............tomorrow, when i'm at the dyno with my beater and the crvtec motor(that can't run 12's) and my top end is great and pulling well over 200 hsp to the wheels, you better believe i'll be thinking of you.

13's all day long.....get real.

and to that kid jason............if (hondaatwsu) had anything to do with your motor i'd think twice before going back. think about it. you have no top end and his car has thousands dumped into it and he still hasn't "tuned" it. makes me wonder..........

[Modified by jinxproof99, 1:40 AM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-24-2002, 09:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yeah i bet u will. 13s untuned on 45 series, not bad and especially NA anywhere around here.. yeah i guess everyone in VA must b way faster than everyone else in the country. considering that there is the "big names" in the import industry hailing from the great state u live in.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:53 PM

Default Re: b20 vtec top end problems

have you checked that your vtec is actually kicking in?
Old 07-24-2002, 10:00 PM
New User

yeah i bet u will. 13s untuned on 45 series, not bad and especially NA anywhere around here.. yeah i guess everyone in VA must b way faster than everyone else in the country. considering that there is the "big names" in the import industry hailing from the great state u live in.
yeah, huh, are you on drugs?? va/dc/md has one of the largest import and domestic scenes in the world. fastest all motor neon in the world is from md. 10.70's. we have 2 all motor hondas in va that have run 10's. we have daily driven N/A honda's running 12.00's. N/A street civics running mid 12's on street tires. turbo street hondas running 11's easy on street tires. 2 of the top 5 fastest street hondas in the world are from va and md. the fastest street honda in the world is jason hunt w/ 10.25 @ 141mph. street legal. he lives in maryland. do you know that if you live in or around dc, you are less than 1 hour away from 4 quarter mile tracks and 2 eighth of a mile tracks. another hour away and you can add 3 other 1/4 mile tracks. at one time dc street racing was larger than anywhere on the east coast, almost as well known as southern cali's. metro(new carrollton) was the most well known street racing spot on the east coast up until 6 months ago.

i'm sure when you attacked me you meant well, but give it up. i can be harsh sometimes but not this time. my original criticism was constructive and i wasn't out of line. i didn't say your friend drove like my grandmother, it was just a generalization. there could be one(or more)things wrong with your friends car, you just have to figure it out.

Quick Reply: b20 vtec top end problems