Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18c5 preventative maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c5 preventative maintenance

i am currently purchasing a b18c5 from a very reputable shop.. now the motor has 124,xxx, i really wanted to find one with lower miles but it is what it is..
anyway i plan on doing
timing belt wanter pump tensioner
plugs wires cap rotor pcv.. fuel filter was already done
clutch pressure plate pilot and throw out bearing

now my question to you is the shop offered to do the valve seals without taking the head off they said they can do it..
now i rather pay someone who knows what there doing to do somthing like that
so i can eather have the shop do it before they ship it to me or i can not do it lol or i can not have them do it and get the motor and take the head off myself and send it out to a machine shop

now is there any benafit by taking the head off and sending it out rather then leaving the head on?
also is there any preventive maitence on head gaskets? or is that just somthing u only change when u have to..?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c5 preventative maintenance

Valve seals can be changed without taking the head off. The only issue I see is how much you trust the shop that is selling you the engine. They can say they will change it out for you but in reality you won't know unless you open up the head yourself to verify.

As for head gaskets, these don't need to be changed unless you blow it or you remove the head for whatever reason.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i would need proof that they have been changed somehow

is there any other maitence they do at the machine shop besides changing the valve seals?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW its been forever since I have been on here... does the motor have good compression? are the valves all seated properly. I'm curious why they are offering this service?

If the head is removed the valves can be checked and seated. I dunno if all this is really needed if your getting good compression numbers.

Seems like you nailed most of the big maintenance things.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eddie7978
ok so i would need proof that they have been changed somehow

is there any other maitence they do at the machine shop besides changing the valve seals?
It all depends on what you want and how big your budget is. If you plan on keeping this motor a long time and have the funds then do a full top to bottom rebuild. If funds are tight and/or you don't plan keeping this motor around long then just replace all the seals and replace bearings if necessary.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I would install the motor and go from there...it's a Honda even with higher milage it could still run like a top. Listen to the motor once u fire it up it will likely need a valve adjustment. If the shop that is selling you the longblock is recommending valve seals I'd walk sounds a bit fishy better off starting with a bare B18c and rebuilding it to make more power then a stock R if u have to pull the head off and send it out once u receive the motor anyways.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agree with that. However this is a great time to replace things before putting the motor in. I personally would hate to put the motor in and then pulling it right back out because something major needs to be replaced. Not only have I wasted time but also money on all the fresh fluids that was just put in the car.